PDA

View Full Version : Rim Imperfection - DT Swiss RR1.1 - Need Advice

arcadian
01-30-2011, 06:29 AM
I just bought this set of wheels off of ebay. I tried the front yesterday and everything was fine except there seemed to be a pulse when braking. I examined the rim closer and found these very small raised places on both rims. Should I send these back?

I tried to take a picture the best I could, it is a pretty small imperfection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

For some reason I can't get the photo to post so here is a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53750691@N04/5400352261/in/photostream/

oldpotatoe
01-30-2011, 07:08 AM
I just bought this set of wheels off of ebay. I tried the front yesterday and everything was fine except there seemed to be a pulse when braking. I examined the rim closer and found these very small raised places on both rims. Should I send these back?

I tried to take a picture the best I could, it is a pretty small imperfection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

For some reason I can't get the photo to post so here is a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53750691@N04/5400352261/in/photostream/

Use some emerypaper to smooth out.

jonjones13
01-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Hi,
I've got RR1.1's and no bumps on mine - looks like a manufacturing flaw, so send 'em back I say - or rub them down as previous poster said, if you can be hassled....

arcadian
01-30-2011, 07:14 AM
So is this a common problem? Is this from the factory or something that got embedded in the rim somehow after manufacturing?

Use some emerypaper to smooth out.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2011, 07:19 AM
So is this a common problem? Is this from the factory or something that got embedded in the rim somehow after manufacturing?

Built many and I haven't seen this before.

AngryScientist
01-30-2011, 07:40 AM

looks like something that happened after machining of the rim, like OP said, just sand it down. depending on how steady you think your hand is, i would use a dremel and one of these attachments until you get close to the rim surface, and do a final rub with some fine grit sandpaper by hand.

if you're no good with a dremel or have a shaky hand problem, do it all by hand:):

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/HowTo/Tunea911/images/3.jpg

Fixed
01-30-2011, 08:53 AM
send back
imho
cheers

dogdriver
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Judging from your pic, that looks like an errant glob of solder that flew onto the rim from elsewhere in the shop. I'll bet you can pop it off with a small scraper or punch. If not, the previous advice about the Dremel will work great-- measure twice, cut once, and all that...

thwart
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
These things are great for just that kinda thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandflex-Sanding-Block-3-Pack/dp/B000GACU1Q

I'd probably skip the coarse for this sort of job...

fjaws
01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Looks like a contaminant transferred from a dirty brake pad to me. Scrape or sand off as previously suggested.

bobswire
01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Easy fix as Old Potato suggested. Not a structural problem at all, something got embedded. Personally I would take a very sharp chisel and skim it off. (If you are familiar and competent with using hand tools).
Then use some emery cloth if needed.
http://i51.tinypic.com/x2mkja.jpg

dekindy
01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Oops. :rolleyes:

John M
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Looks like a contaminant transferred from a dirty brake pad to me. Scrape or sand off as previously suggested.

+1 for what it probably is and what to about it. Here in Seattle this time of year, that would wear off with braking during one long wet descent.

The rest of that rim surface looks really good, so I would not send back since it would not be worth the hassle.

01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
There's nothing wrong. It looks like a little sliver of aluminum was peeled up by a brake pad, then got stuck there. No need to be so fancy. Just take a utility knife or X-acto knife and flip it off. If there's a slight mark left behind, it'll disappear with a little braking. Don't sand it, don't do anything else. Sometimes these rims do have a little ridge of a aluminum from the milling of the sidewalls and it breaks off and rolls into a little lump like that when it first gets hit by a brake pad. Nothing odd. And I HAVE seen it before. Not a big deal. Easily fixed.

arcadian
01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for responses. I think I will just try and knock or wear it off. Hopefully it will pop off.

arcadian
01-30-2011, 08:03 PM
The x-acto knife did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

There's nothing wrong. It looks like a little sliver of aluminum was peeled up by a brake pad, then got stuck there. No need to be so fancy. Just take a utility knife or X-acto knife and flip it off. If there's a slight mark left behind, it'll disappear with a little braking. Don't sand it, don't do anything else. Sometimes these rims do have a little ridge of a aluminum from the milling of the sidewalls and it breaks off and rolls into a little lump like that when it first gets hit by a brake pad. Nothing odd. And I HAVE seen it before. Not a big deal. Easily fixed.

Grant McLean
01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
The x-acto knife did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Check your brake pads for flakes/bits of aluminum too.
Flick them out with the x-acto knife, and hit them with a little sandpaper
or a flat file to remove the "glaze" that builds up. You'll be less likely
to have chunks end up on the rim if you keep the pads clean. Some brands
of pads seem more susceptible to getting bits of aluminum stuck in them,
shimano being one of them.

-g