PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Temecula, CA area

kdub
01-30-2011, 02:39 AM
I will be headed to the Temecula area in a couple of weeks for a little over a week and looking to compile a list of the classic rides in the area. The week is for just riding so I am looking to rack up the hours.
Anyone have some good routes and resources once I get there?
Also, any weekday group rides in the area that are not total hammer-fests? (looking at base miles)
And lastly, any weekly races going on that would be good to come and get the fast twitch going?
Thanks and maybe we can meet up if your in the area.

false_Aest
01-30-2011, 08:27 AM
socalcycling.com

socalreg.com

these will help you out.

Jeff N.
01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I like riding out Rancho California Road, through the "Wine Country", out to Lake Skinner and back. I start from the shopping center close to I-15 for an out'n'back. It ain't far, only about 25 miles. Then I hit Maurice Carrie or Thornton wineries for some serious tasting. Several Wineries out there...pretty good stuff.
If you want to get more serious than that, you can pretty much take off in any direction and get some good mileage in. Jeff N.

Dan Le foot
01-30-2011, 10:19 AM
If you like to climb, take the frontage road south to Rainbow. Fly down Rice Canyon and enjoy the climb up Couser Canyon. Continue on to Lilac and West Lilac and back home on the 395.
Popular ride by the folks in Temecula.
Have fun.
Dan

jazznap
01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I'll second the Rice/Couser canyon route, just watch the potholes/dips going down Rice Canyon.

Temecula (Rancho Cal Rd)>DeLuz>Fallbrook is a good ride as well, though I'm not sure how much water in running through DeLuz right now.

kdub
01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
I'll second the Rice/Couser canyon route, just watch the potholes/dips going down Rice Canyon.

Temecula (Rancho Cal Rd)>DeLuz>Fallbrook is a good ride as well, though I'm not sure how much water in running through DeLuz right now.

Water running through Deluz? Is there an overflow somewhere?

kdub
01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate all of it! I will be riding solo this year so, I'll only have the eyes of one so this helps a lot! Keep it coming, Thanks

jazznap
01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Water running through Deluz? Is there an overflow somewhere?

Everytime I've ridden, there is always some water flowing through the water crossings (1" or so) but it usually has nasty, slippery moss underneath. They provide run-off for the streams, but a couple run across the road to pass the water from one side to the other. I haven't been through there this year since the rain, so ymmv.

Here's a map. There's also a route slip on the SDR website ("permenant>busted in deluz)
http://www.sandiegorandonneurs.com/docs/permanents/permanent_map_157k_busted%20in%20de%20luz.pdf.

P.S. Palomar mountain is only a short drive (or longer ride) if you like to climb. I get out there once every week or two if you're interested.

Dan Le foot
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Everytime I've ridden, there is always some water flowing through the water crossings (1" or so) but it usually has nasty, slippery moss underneath. They provide run-off for the streams, but a couple run across the road to pass the water from one side to the other. I haven't been through there this year since the rain, so ymmv.

Here's a map. There's also a route slip on the SDR website ("permenant>busted in deluz)
http://www.sandiegorandonneurs.com/docs/permanents/permanent_map_157k_busted%20in%20de%20luz.pdf.

P.S. Palomar mountain is only a short drive (or longer ride) if you like to climb. I get out there once every week or two if you're interested.
+1 on the Palomar climb. Rated one of the best/toughest climbs in the Country and shouldn't be missed.
I went down in the mossy wet stuff in Deluz a few years ago. Same place that Landis crashed and busted up his hip. Fortunatly a good samaritan picked me out of the water and took me to the emergency room. Get off the bike and walk around if you go there. Nice area otherwise. Some huge grades.
Dan

kdub
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
This ride looks awesome! I will definitely be adding this to the ride list.
These maps are pretty cool too, where did you find it?
Thanks!

jazznap
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Duplicate

jazznap
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
This ride looks awesome! I will definitely be adding this to the ride list.
These maps are pretty cool too, where did you find it?
Thanks!

San Diego Randonneurs is a great resource for routes all over San Diego County. I've used many of their maps/route slips for rides. They are nice enough to post routes/maps/profile for their "permanents" so you can just find an area covered by one of the routes and modify it to fit your needs.

If you haven't tried a brevet, it's a great way to build long-distance training. Check the map for their Corona 300km on 2/19. It runs right through Temecula and may give you some route ideas.