PDA

View Full Version : Removing tubulars?!?!?!?

Roy E. Munson
05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
How do you remove a well glued tubular? I have one that I simply cannot get off the rim!!!

MartyE
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I've had to resort to tire levers to pry off a bit of a well glued
tubular. At least you know you won't have your tires roll.

Marty

vaxn8r
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Have you thought about a blow torch? :)

Jack Brunk
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
A small exacto knife works really well. Be careful as you cut under the tire and it should only take a couple of minutes if that long. I carry one on all of my rides.

Jack

Todd Owen
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I use a plastic tire iron and sometimes find the place around the stem where there is not as much glue. You have to be very careful not to pull off the base tape, so go slowly and just pry a small amount at a time. If you seperate the base tape and are planning on using the tire again, you can get new base tape replaced for very little professionally. (I have removed a worn but not flat tire and used it for my spare).....just pry a small bit of the tire off at a time and finally you will get a good amount from the rim and can rip the rest off! good luck!!!

Too Tall
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Thin flat blade screw driver. I grind it smooth. wedge it in and rock a bit....yes even on carbon rims.

Needs Help
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Ride down a long, steep hill with your brakes on the whole way. Stop at the bottom, take your wheel off, and pull off the tire.

Matt Barkley
05-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Needs Help........ Holy Crap! Does that work?

Roy - are we talking a carbon rim with 3M fast-tack adhesive?

jerk
05-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Needs Help........ Holy Crap! Does that work?

Roy - are we talking a carbon rim with 3M fast-tack adhesive?

no it doesn't work.

jerk

05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
An exacto knife??? Ouch.

If you've really glued your tire on well, it's a labor to get it off, but here's the neatest way I've ever heard of. Just have a small screwdriver blade (I have a Klein 1/4" blade round shaft screwdriver in my tool kit at home, and one with the handle cut off in my tire bag). Find a ferrule (there's a spoke coming out the other side, so it shouldn't be too hard for the cyclists with superior intelligence who naturally gravitate to tubulars). Work the screwdriver blade under the small bit of base tape until it drops into the ferrule, then leverage it up until you can push it past the base tape on the opposite side. You have to be careful at this step -- don't pierce the tire or the base tape. As soon as you have a screwdriver blade sticking out on both sides of the rim, start rolling it around the rim with both hands. This goes fast, and you pop the glue line between base tape and rim without hurting the adhesion of the base tape to the tire. After you've gotten 1/3 or more of the way around the rim, you can dispense with the screwdriver blade and just pull the tire directly away from the rim. Works like a charm and even a very well glued on tire can be removed and replaced in 5 minutes or less.

jerk
05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
swear at it. yell and then take the name of the lord in vain. breathe deeply and summon the power within. (what the hell is wrong with you munson? you some type of little girl?)

jerk

05-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Jerk,

Remember that scene in the movie version of Dune where Paul tells one of his Fremen guards to yell at a monolith to break it? Is that what you have in mind?

There's also the "how far in the air can I throw this damned wheel before the tire miraculously comes loose on its own" approach.

Or, the obvious solution -- the French track coach's method, which basically is to mount the tire with very little glue.

oracle
05-19-2005, 02:31 AM
hairdryer

William
05-19-2005, 02:57 AM
My friends Chocolate Lab named Bear. He'll pull it off and spend the next hour playing with it in in the backyard throwing it around & trying to rip it a new one.

I'm not kidding. :no:

William

(Back to milking the cows. ;) )

Climb01742
05-19-2005, 03:39 AM
roy, use your hands, not your teeth.

:)

ERDR
05-19-2005, 03:45 AM
next time, leave about an inch of the rim across from the valve stem without glue. it is enough for you to get it started without causing a roll off(hopefully). directly across from the valve stem makes it easy to find your start spot.
s.

Too Tall
05-19-2005, 06:08 AM
11.4 - 43 frickin' years riding bikes....THIRTY!!!! and I learned something new today. That is a really neat trick, I'll give it a try.

William
05-19-2005, 06:18 AM
11.4 - 43 frickin' years riding bikes....THIRTY!!!! and I learned something new today. That is a really neat trick, I'll give it a try.

Yeah, but what about the lab? You can have one at home, and take one riding with you (you won't need to dock it's tail though). It's a good method right?? :confused: C'mon, back me up here. Besides, you can't really play with a screw driver....and it won't fetch your slippers or the paper for you either. ;) It's just a heck of a lot more fun to play tubie tug-o-war to get it off.

William ;)

Roy E. Munson
05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Exacto knives, sharpened screwdrivers - sounds like Valentines Day at the local prison!

Anyways, the f*&*%~ tubular is STILL on there! Now someone tell me again how much more convenient tubulars are than clinchers?

bostondrunk
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Exacto knives, sharpened screwdrivers - sounds like Valentines Day at the local prison!

Anyways, the f*&*%~ tubular is STILL on there! Now someone tell me again how much more convenient tubulars are than clinchers?

Muchos more.

Too Tall
05-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Roy, easy boy eeeeeasy. Wouldn't you rather it was on like stink rather than not? It's time for a High Life.

Roy E. Munson
05-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm quite impressed with how solidly it's holding on. But now that it needs to come off... :crap:

And how did you know Miller was my favorite beer?

oracle
05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
"next time, leave about an inch of the rim across from the valve stem without glue. it is enough for you to get it started without causing a roll off(hopefully). directly across from the valve stem makes it easy to find your start spot."

no thanks.

oracle

Too Tall
05-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I asked Oracle ;)

Roy E. Munson
05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, I finally got it off....base tape and all! :crap: :crap:
Tubulars SUCK...total pain in the ar$e.

csb
05-20-2005, 08:32 AM
sucka

bostondrunk
05-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Maybe too much glue??? Next time only use half a tube, and save the rest for sniffing. :beer:

Too Tall
05-20-2005, 08:57 AM
One door closes another opens. Roy I need to do a long term evaluation of all the Dugasts you got from Senor' wink wink. L.Zinn has been ringing my phone off the hook since he heard about Big Bill's tubular tire removal tool and he's got a protocol that's about 30 pages long and involves a dwarf, two Bassett Hounds and Rush Limbaugh...dood, I'm so in. Details to follow.

Roy E. Munson
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
No midget prostitutes?

William
05-20-2005, 09:09 AM
One door closes another opens. Roy I need to do a long term evaluation of all the Dugasts you got from Senor' wink wink. L.Zinn has been ringing my phone off the hook since he heard about Big Bill's tubular tire removal tool and he's got a protocol that's about 30 pages long and involves a dwarf, two Bassett Hounds and Rush Limbaugh...dood, I'm so in. Details to follow.

Mr. Z has been ringing me too. Got me this morning and now Rhea Basset is pulling in 3 G's and all the kibble she can eat. What a dog! First a model for pet dishes, now a tubie wrench for Mr. Z.

SWEET! :D

Too Tall
05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Roy, can you be more specific?
BigWilly, Dang that Zinn he's a shark. How did Rhea get on his speed dial. Bummin'.

Kevan
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
put the deflated tube in the clinched jaws of a table vise and use the wheel as leverage to unroot the sucka.

Roy E. Munson
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Ok

Too Tall
05-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Hehehe ;)