PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Escape Tubular Rim?

BdaGhisallo
05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I was just talking with Joe Young about a set of wheels and he recommended the Velocity escape tubular rims as a good alternative to reflex rims. I have always used reflex and have never heard much about these. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they preferable over the reflex?

Thanks.

Too Tall
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
You bet :) I was going to post something on this tommorrow along the lines of "Velocity Escape Rim" plus DA = the new standard for training wheelset.

These are absolutely wonderful. I have at least 3,000 commuting and a few crit racing miles on these and never touched them

No kidding, I am running a 32 drilling. Front is 2X and rear is 2X non-drive and 3Xdriveside. These are laced to an old set of DA/9 hubs. Don't let anyone give you guff about "ideal flange offset". I like the combo because everyone has some used Chorus or DA or Ultegra hubs. So...for cheap you can build a great tubular wheelset suitable for training and crits.

saab2000
05-19-2005, 07:37 AM
I won't give anyone guff about ideal flange offset, but I still think that dish is a big issue, especially when using Campagnolo hubs. Unfortunately the Velocity rim is not made with offset spoking..... Something which has become the main focus of my life! Well, not really. But I wish more rim makers would deal with this. At least the Velocity Aerohead clincher is available with it.

Have fun with the tubulars. There is no doubt in my mind that they are nicer to ride! :beer:

Fixed
05-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Hi. velocity are they made in Taiwan?

saab2000
05-19-2005, 07:50 AM
I think velocity rims are Australian.

theprep
05-19-2005, 08:04 AM
My Escapes weigh 391 & 394 grams - they are laced to DA10 hubs with light spokes, alloy nips, 28 h front, 32 h rear and I have not had to touch them in over 3,900 miles.

A big plus with these is the machined braking surface.

I weigh about 175 lbs and have 4 sets of tubular wheels. These have given me the least amount of trouble. I built the Escapes myself in January 04 and have not had to retrue them once.

You should not hesitate in getting a pair.

cheers,
Joe

BdaGhisallo
05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
I agree with you about tubs - there is no comparison! I haven't ridden clinchers since I swore off them in 1989 after riding some 18mm michelin clinchers pumped up to 130psi! I thought they would be fast - I didn't realise they would also beat the crap out of me! I ordered a tub wheelset and my first ride was a total epiphany. It was like floating along the road! I never looked back and ride tubs all the time. I don't consider them a hassle to fit or change at all - the ride is well worth a little extra maintenance time. And of course, the great secret that all long time tub users know to avoid multiple flats: ride good tires. A $15 tub is crap. Spring for the nice ones and don't waste time!

As for the subject at hand, I am leaning still toward the Reflex as I have had good experiences with them and I prefer a regular box rim versus an aero section. Thanks for the input guys.

Geoff