PDA

View Full Version : Ride of Silence, Today: May 18th, 7pm

Ginger
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Check the web site to see if there's one near you: CHECK YOUR LOCAL RIDE TIME!!!
www.rideofsilence.com
(more than just in Texas!)

THE RIDE OF SILENCE WILL NOT BE QUIET
On May 18, the Ride of Silence will roll across the country, starting at 7:00 PM. In more than 50 cities in the U.S. and Canada, cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.

Chris Phelan organized the first Ride Of Silence in Dallas last May after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and was killed.

The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 mph and remain silent during the ride. There is no brochure, no sponsors, no registration fees and no t-shirt. The ride, which is being held during Bike Safety month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured.

PanTerra
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Hope to see you there, Ginger. Some of us are meeting at the lake around 5:00 to get close parking near T.P. Hill and then get a couple of laps in before it starts. It wouldn't surprise me if it broke 2,000 this year. It is a sight to see. People that are at the lake just for recreation don't know what to think when a huge mass of cyclists approach them slowly and not a sound from anyone. Every once in a while someone would ask what's going on, no one says anything.

MartyE
05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm headed over after work, be on an older serotta.
Glad Ginger posted time, I thought the ride was at 6:00.
Pan Terra how much parking is there at that area of the lake?
I usually park over by tennis courts over towards walnut hill.

marty

Bruce K
05-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Guys;

Ginger is in Michigan.

I would check the time for your local Ride in Texas and be sure what time yours is happening.

This event is too important to miss.

BK

PanTerra
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
OK Marty, i'll be on my white CSi and wearing my MIRAGE kit.
http://www.miragecycling.org/about/0405apparel/

hope to see you out there. I wonder if Ginger is coming down from Michigan.

MartyE
05-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I'll be wearing a BikeForums.net jersey. Can't miss it really
bright.

Marty

Ginger
05-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Yep! The original is in Texas, but the ride of Silence is now held other places as well! Check the site for the closest ride!

Unfortunately, I have two memorial rides this week. Tonight the ride of silence, and tommorrow a memorial at the capital for Lucinda Means, she was the Michigan LMB director and a fiery advocate. Sad week.

PanTerra
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
you mean Fair Oaks Park in Merrimam Park, and then taking the trail down? There is a GDB group riding down from the Office Depot at Central and Forest at 6:00 but the bugs along the creek make it hard to ride. I will be parking at the Parkng lot at the south end of West Lawther drive. Getting there before 5:00, there should be plenty of parking.

PanTerra
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Yep! The original is in Texas, but the ride of Silence is now held other places as well! Check the site for the closest ride!

Unfortunately, I have two memorial rides this week. Tonight the ride of silence, and tommorrow a memorial at the capital for Lucinda Means, she was the Michigan LMB director and a fiery advocate. Sad week.

I know I know, I have watched it grow across the country in these few years. I know Chris and he has done a great job in promoting this event. I posted a couple opf pictures from the ride last year on the forum, I'll see if I can find them.

BTW, I always like MaryAnn over Ginger. ;)

MartyE
05-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Since I'm leaving Irving at 4:00 I might try to get parking
off Lawther. Somehow I'm not really comfortable leaving the
car parked up in fair oaks and taking the trail down. Works ok
on weekends, but not sure at night.
yah, fairoaks park it is.

marty

PanTerra
05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I bumped the thread the MA started a while back.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7035&highlight=Ride+Silence

scroll down to the aerial of the WHite Rock Lake and you can see T.P. Hill labeled at the southwest end of the lake. My car will the red 2001 Avalon with the Thule/Yakima bike rack on top parked in the lot on Lawther Drive next to T.P. Hill.

There are also pictures posted further down of last year's RoS.

Ginger
05-19-2005, 09:16 AM
We had over 200 cyclists on our ride. Not bad for a first event I think! I'll look for pictures...

PanTerra
05-19-2005, 10:07 AM
That is great. I will post my pictures today of Dallas' event. I haven't heard a number of participants yet. It was harfd to tell since we moved the starting point. It was good to meet you Marty!

MartyE
05-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Good meeting you too!
Nice ride, good turnout.
Didn't see any coverage on the 10pm news last night or
the morning news today.

Marty

Ginger
05-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Pictures from the Michigan ride...nope, I'm not in any of them. ;)

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventframe?event=0BGS0009&start=0012&r=0