PDA

View Full Version : Yokozuna & Cable Cutter Recommendation

kohlboto
01-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I have and old Shimano cutter that has seen better days and I'm in the market for a new one. Are Shimano cutters still the standard (as they were some 16-17 years ago)? Is there another cutter I should consider. Will I need something specific to handle Yokozuna housing? Any input is, as always, appreciated.
cheers
Jay

AngryScientist
01-29-2011, 08:21 AM
a dremel and good thin cut-off wheels is the best i've worked with.

Black Dog
01-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Very true. The dremel is especially great for cutting housings. As for standard cutters: The Park Tool cutters are very well made.

Nil Else
01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Curiously never dawned on me to use a dremel. My dremel is definitely underused... I'll have to try that.

kohlboto
01-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Dremel for all cable applications or just the Yokozuna cables?

Bob Loblaw
01-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Never tried a dremel. Interesting idea.

My park cutters work very well though.

BL

Uncle Jam's Army
01-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Felco c7 cutters

jlwdm
01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
From past posts here and across the hall it always seems to come back to Felco.

Jeff

Ralph
01-29-2011, 11:15 AM
My son the frame builder, who is always putting bikes together, likes the Felco cutters. I know my old Park cutters don't cut square. When I use them, I'm always cleaning up ends of cut, or opening cable up, with a small wire cutter. Then using a file to get it more square. A pain, and in areas where I don't use a ferrel, not a good way to go.

High speed Dremel with good cutting wheel, for that application, even better, if you know how to use it.

Kane
01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, even with a quick cut the Dremel tends to melt the plastic inner liner of the cable housing. I have used both and now I only use my Felco's and a pick to open up the crushed housing. I also file the end of the cable housing by hand lightly to get rid of the metal burs. (SP?)
I much prefer to solder the end of my cable so that it does not fray.
Cheers,
Kane

kohlboto
01-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I did a quick search on here and across the hall and it seems there is a lot of Felco C7 love going on - I think that might be the way to go as I don't trust myself with a Dremel...

Louis
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM

+1

I've never had a problem with melting stuff. If anything has melted I haven't noticed and it hasn't had any bad side-effects.

However, if you don't go this route, then Felco is the name I've heard most often for the good stuff.

Louis
01-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't trust myself with a Dremel...

Your choice, but this isn't anything to be concerned about.

dave thompson
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
When cutting cables with either a cutter or Dremel, I'll stick an old piece of inner wire in to keep the cut clean and tidy.

dogdriver
01-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Dremel for all cable applications or just the Yokozuna cables?

If the Egyptians would have had a Dremel tool, there would have been 7 pyramids...

AngryScientist
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
When cutting cables with either a cutter or Dremel, I'll stick an old piece of inner wire in to keep the cut clean and tidy.

yup, same here.

oldguy00
01-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Any tips (no pun....) for using the dremel?
I tried it once, but perhaps was a bit timid....it just seemed to melt the outer housing cover and wouldn't cut through.
Need to be a bit more aggressive with the high speed??

oldpotatoe
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Felco c7 cutters

Felco are the best, then a cutting wheel to make those Campagnolo der housing flat/90 degrees.

TeamSwami.com
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
That's a good idea, thanks! Learn something new everyday.

Louis
01-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Any tips (no pun....) for using the dremel?
I tried it once, but perhaps was a bit timid....it just seemed to melt the outer housing cover and wouldn't cut through.
Need to be a bit more aggressive with the high speed??

I'm not sure what your problem is. In my experience the cut-off wheel goes through cover and housing winding stuff like butter. I usually use the "PTO shaft" on my bench grinder but I think I've also used a Dremel-type hand tool.

dave thompson
01-30-2011, 02:10 PM
That's a good idea, thanks! Learn something new everyday.
100 pesos please, deposited to my PayPal Cabo account. For Tequila research.