PDA

View Full Version : CSi Modifications -- Input requested

Keith A
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
With all due respect to my friend Climb and his minimalistic approach in finishing his (now mine) fillet brazed CSi, I am considering adding a little color (or just decals) to the frame. I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but I wanted to get my Serotta friends' opinions of the potential changes.

So feel free to let me know what you thinkg about the different options I have come up with. One thing I definitely will be keeping is the overall color of the frame and will not be repainting the entire frame -- just adding a little something to it.

BTW, yes I know that some of the decals say "Lemond", I used their paint designer in coming up with various options and I didn't go to the trouble of relabeling the Lemond decals.

flydhest
05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
blue fork, no panels, blue CSi on the top tube.

Climb01742
05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
hey, i'll vote. :D

the bottom one. the blue and orange look great. and the serotta "S" on the ST rocks. it would all look very sharp.

ps: keith, could you fix my wall, too, while you're at it? :rolleyes:

Keith A
05-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks Climb -- I was indeed curious what you thought!

Bruce K
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I'll second the bottom one. :banana:

But can you swap the orange for red? :rolleyes:

It will look great either way.

BK

Blastinbob
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Panels, with Serotta on both....how about a white fork !

Keith A
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Bruce -- I thought about going with red, but will most likely stick with orange for a couple of reasons: (1) It pays tribute to the original owner, (2) I'm a UF (Gators) alumni and (3) orange has always been one of my favorite colors.

Richard
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I like the full panel in blue, blue fork but I would do the accent streipe on the panel in red, outline the CSI in red (make it subtle), use red tape and a black saddle.

92degrees
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I always liked the way it looks now, but here's my .02 -- I think the Sizzler scheme would work really well.

christian
05-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Anything but the last one. I really don't like the "S" on the seat tube. Looks 'orrible!

If you're going to do panels, definitely #3.

- Christian

PaulE
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
If you do the fourth one, with an "S" on the seat tube instead of "Serotta", I would still go for the solid blue fork from the third instead of the white and blue combo on the fork in the fourth picture.

Keith A
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
BTW, if you want to see a "real" Serotta with the Indy panels and a "S" on the downtube, check out dehoopta's CdA (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8439)

djg
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
First off, I think it looks nice as it is. Second, if I had to change something (or spec a white bike to begin with), I'd be inclined to add the downtube decals, but not more. Personally, I don't care much for the model names (or initials) painted in script on the top tube and skipped them when I had my CSi repainted.

Panels: I like panels. Saphire (or cobalt) panels on a white frame can look pretty nice. But I'm not wild about the fork options. If I were to add blue panels to a white bike, I'd paint the fork white, not blue. Other than that, I like both paint schemes 3 and 4. I tend to like just the "S" somewhere (which is what I have on my seat tube, with the full name only on my downtube). I suppose I prefer the fork in #4 a bit to that in #3 (maybe because at least a little white at the top integrates things for me, even as I'd prefer all white).

You know, it's your bike and your money. Paint it how you like it.

dbrk
05-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Ixnay on the panels-ey, I say: just the decals. Panels are hard to do in ways that wear well on the eyes in the long run. No blue either. #2 is the ticket: you won't tire of the looks...think long run, pal, and remember all of those mistakes that were made in the late 80s and 90s...

dbrk

RichMc
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I like the panels and the all blue fork. I've never been much of a fan of the Indy scheme but this looks OK.

Ozz
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
very nice bike....it looks great 'as it', but a personal touch will make it yours!

I like the panels, and blue looks good with orange. I would stick with the sapphire blue as cobalt is too dark. Picture #3 (where it says "lemond" on both panels) looks the best. The ST panel is too stubby looking in #4, and the "S" just doesn't look right. Leave it blank or go with the full "Serotta", I am leaning towards just leaving it blank.

Are you thinking of the "full deck" treatment on the fork (I've seen that somewhere...hmmmm?), or just a white crown? I think it looks great either way....maybe go with orange trim on the chevron points on the crown?

Whatever you do, lose the Krsyriums and get some wheels with silver hubs and rims! ;)

Keith A
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I am really enjoying hearing your inputs -- keep them coming. BTW, here is one of the panel schemes with a white fork as some have suggested....

BarryG
05-18-2005, 12:53 PM
What Douglas said. Personally, I'd lose the orange. Just a thought that brown leather saddle and bar tape would look classy.

Sandy
05-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I personally would either leave it alone or add one decal to balance the name Serotta that is on the seat tube. I would probably simply add the CSI decal and be done with it. Yep, that is what I would do- Add the CSI decal for balance.

I would also replace the saddle and tape and make them both black. Then you would have a very remarkable looking fillet brazed CSi. What could possibly look more elegant, subdued, and rich than that?

Now one must always realize that Kevan in some of his white, orange, and blue frilly creations...... :)

The bike looks great now, but I would prefer my changes.

Elegant, Subdued, and Rich,

Simple Sandy

vaxn8r
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
First off, I think it looks nice as it is. Second, if I had to change something (or spec a white bike to begin with), I'd be inclined to add the downtube decals, but not more. Personally, I don't care much for the model names (or initials) painted in script on the top tube and skipped them when I had my CSi repainted.

Yeah, I'm not much for model names either. If you have to ask....

Just add downtube decals. Maybe consider a small "serotta" on the chain or seatsatys.

Sandy
05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
On my Ottrott, I have no Serotta decals, omly red Serotta S's. The model name Ottrott is also in red. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have the Ottrott name at all, only the S's. The only reason that I would consider the CSI decal is for an overall look for balance, since there already is a Serotta decal on the seat tube.

S s S s SEROTTA serotta S s S s

Sandy

vaxn8r
05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Sandy, I actually like the CSi decal, as far as decals, it is good. I don't care for the scripted "Atlanta". I don't mind the "Couer..." but really hate the "CDA". "Ottrott" is kind of cool.

My Lemond OCLV is a "Maillot Jaune". Please! I'm not big on Calfee's model names, they just don't do it for me. How about Cannondale R1000? Yuk.

So I guess it depends.

I think Keith's bike would look good with seat and downtube decals +/- CS or SS decal. But then a lot of those other designs would look good too. You guys have good bike taste. How come no flames though?

eddief
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
less is more. I'd have only the downtube decal and lose the one on the seat tube. Or get a tatoo on your lower back right above your butt crack and then when bent over in the racing position all will know you are into Serotta. (just kidding really, really) Interesting that some like it kept simple, others vote for more. No accounting for taste.

Keith A
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey vaxn8r -- I had a Lemond Maillot Juane OCLV as well (sold it a while back). I liked the purple and yellow fade with the red decals. The Maillot Juane decal didn't bother me any as it was pretty small and near the seat tube rather than the head tube -- almost like how people have their names on their bikes.

eddief -- Already got the tat! ;)

eddief
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Right on. Now you can have a bike with no decoration and wear low shorts and short jerseys...and the whole world can say what a nice bike,,,er butt you have. I switch brands so often, there's not enough room back there for all the tatoos, or maybe there is since it won't stop raining in CA.

davep
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
"Serotta" on the down tube, no panels, "S" on the seat tube in a blue panel, but one on the front of the tube, not on each side. Blue or white fork. Or maybe 3/4 blue, 1/4 white (like #4) with a little orange detail between the two colors. I too like the orange.

JohnS
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
The last one looks like something that Rabobank would ride. I like it!!!

Keith A
05-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey DaveP -- I like your suggestion and will have to give this one some thought. Here's something close to what you described...

Ozz
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey DaveP -- I like your suggestion and will have to give this one some thought. Here's something close to what you described...
Include the fork crown mask on (white fork, blue mask) and you pretty much have the "negative" to my bike.....me like very much!

RichMc
05-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Who makes those handlebars on the CSi and what model are they? They look good to my eye and I may want to try them if the Ritchey's don't do it for me on my "new" bike.

vaxn8r
05-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey vaxn8r -- I had a Lemond Maillot Juane OCLV as well (sold it a while back). I liked the purple and yellow fade with the red decals. The Maillot Juane decal didn't bother me any as it was pretty small and near the seat tube rather than the head tube -- almost like how people have their names on their bikes.

eddief -- Already got the tat! ;)
Actually I really like the Lemond decals. A million times better than Trek. I just found the Maillot Jaune a bit pretentious but I understand where it came from.. his other bikes were named after the toughest stages he won so why not a "yellow jersey" for his top o' the line?

I've got a ton of miles on mine and it now has fenders, but I still love it. I have to admit being sick of the yellow-purple fade paint. I called Lemond to see what they'd charge to strip and repaint but they really did not want to do it. Said I could only choose a single color with a white or black decal. I was interested in doing a classic Lemond paint job from one of his 1990 frames. I still toy with repainting but it is hard to justify. I mean it's only a plastic bike with 30K+ miles on it. I mean, isn't it supposed to delaminate or turn to dust at some point?

Big Dan
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Actually I like the panels on the newer Lemonds.
The white with red panels or the classic red with white panels..... :D

aLexis
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Guess which option I voted for - oh wait, it's a public poll. Here is a hint anyways:

davids
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
That is one of my favorite bikes ever! Leave it alone - It's so beautiful, so simple. The fillet brazing, the pure white, the single decal... The orange saddle and bar tape perfect it! Please, for my sake? ;)

But if you must, I like the panels with the white fork.

And aLexis, that's a beauty too!

Climb01742
05-19-2005, 03:35 AM
That is one of my favorite bikes ever! Leave it alone - It's so beautiful, so simple. The fillet brazing, the pure white, the single decal... The orange saddle and bar tape perfect it! Please, for my sake? ;)

But if you must, I like the panels with the white fork.

And aLexis, that's a beauty too!

davids, the check is in the mail. ;)

Keith A
05-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Okay Climb, what are doing reading the forum at 4:30am :confused:

aLexis -- Thanks so much for posting the picture of your bike. This gives me a great idea of what mine would look like if I went with the Indy panels. BTW, what color is the panel? And did you use the all white decal or the white with black outlines?

aLexis
05-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Keith,

My panels are sapphire blue with slate stripes. The decals are white w/ black outline. It is a CDA with no model name.

Good luck! alexis

Climb01742
05-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Okay Climb, what are doing reading the forum at 4:30am :confused:

gotta get in a 2 hour training ride before work. thank god for caffiene.

Kirk Pacenti
05-19-2005, 10:23 AM
just add the decals, it looks SWEET that way!

Ciao,

tch
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
looking at it again, I think it is the orange seat and bars which are screwing me up. And this comes from a guy who LIKES orange and has an orange bike to boot. But the combo: white frame, which is sort of classic and stealth, with orange seat and bars, which are flash, just doesn't work for me. It seems the aesthetics are going in two different directions.

That's my $0.02 -- and perhaps worth what you paid for it.

davids
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
davids, the check is in the mail. ;)
...you don't have what I want. well, that Ti Crown Jewel might be sufficient pay-off!