PDA

View Full Version : for those who think they know geometry and bb drop

eddief
01-26-2011, 05:52 PM
For the last few years, my bikes have been built or bought around thinking I need/like 8 cm of bb drop. That is true for my Riv Ram, my Gunnar Sport, and my Rex. I am looking at a bike with steeper angles 73.1 STA and 73.5 HTA and 6.8 BB drop. The contact points could be dialed in perfectly and I know this bike should feel quicker in the steering?, but what sensation would the higher bb bring to the feel of the ride?

I have 3 sort of middle of the road sport bikes, but thinking something lighter and racier might be fun.

Any info or ways to consider steeper angles and higher bb appreciated.

crankles
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
what are the HT/ST and trail of your other bikes?

Ken Robb
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
with similar contact points your standover clearance will be reduced.

eddief
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
60 cm Gunnar Sport

HTA 72.5
STA 73
BB drop 7.5
Trail 61

Bike to be named later

HTA 73.5
STA 73.1
BB drop 6.8
Trail 56.1

bicycletricycle
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
At first a bike with a higher bb feels like it resists side to side movement more than usual. You can feel it a fair amount when out of the saddle and you want to sway the bike back and forth. I remember Grant Peterson describing this feeling when he was talking about the Legolas CX bike they used to make. He said it felt like you were riding in a small trench that limited side to side movement. This feeling goes away. I know that many people also feel a difference in descending at high speed, I have not noticed this as much.

Ralph
01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I think my 56 CM (no CF) CAAD 5 rides fine. It has 6.9 CM BB drop according to C Dale web site.

TT is 56 CM
STA is 73.5
HTA is 73
Chain stay length is 40.5
Fork Rake 4.5
BB height 26.8
Trail 5.6

Some consider this a race bike, but I like riding it as a daily rider. I also have a more relaxed built slightly longer WB 56 CM custom steel bike. With nice tires on both, I can't tell near as much difference in how they ride as Internet "wisdom" would have you believe.

slowandsteady
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Am I mistaken or won't you notice the trail difference MUCH more than the BB height in your scenario above 6.1 vs 5.6 is a pretty big difference - the lower number being more racey,

TimD
01-27-2011, 07:39 AM
I look at it this way - a lower BB (more BB drop) effectively reduces the saddle height and, potentially, the saddle-to-bar drop. I cannot really tolerate more than about 3cm of saddle-to-bar drop.

Reduced saddle height, in turn, reduces the required HT length / stack height somewhat. Sloping TTs (of which I'm not a fan) solve any standover issues.

When you are in the realm of 330mm steerers and 230+ mm HTs, as I am, a BB drop of 8cm vs. 6.5 cm can make a significant difference in how long/far I can ride in semi-comfort, all other things being equal.

I'd second the notion that the fork trail decrease probably affects the handling more, but a higher BB has to raise the CG somewhat, at least when the pedals are loaded.

e-RICHIE
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
I look at it this way - a lower BB (more BB drop) effectively reduces the saddle height and, potentially, the saddle-to-bar drop. I cannot really tolerate more than about 3cm of saddle-to-bar drop.

Reduced saddle height, in turn, reduces the required HT length / stack height somewhat. Sloping TTs (of which I'm not a fan) solve any standover issues.

When you are in the realm of 330mm steerers and 230+ mm HTs, as I am, a BB drop of 8cm vs. 6.5 cm can make a significant difference in how long/far I can ride in semi-comfort, all other things being equal.

I'd second the notion that the fork trail decrease probably affects the handling more, but a higher BB has to raise the CG somewhat, at least when the pedals are loaded.

no it doesn't work this way - it (a lower bb/more drop) lowers the entire bicycle by said amount,
except for the top of the wheels since the diameter is constant atmo. and if the chat is about a
drop difference of a cm or less, unless you are height-challenged, the lower (or higher) saddle from
a standing-next-to-the-horse perspective will be negligible.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :cool: :cool:
:cool: :cool: :)
:) :) :cool:

eddief
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
who has a tough time visualizing some of the geo dynamics. Richie, might you take a swag, if you could, at some sort of description of the difference in handling and overall ride feel, if any, those two factors would make to an "average" non-race rider?

that being a smaller trail number combined with a higher bb number.

David Kirk
01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I hate to sound too obtuse but.......... describing the differences is a bit like describing a color. One thing I can say for sure is that it will feel a bit different. You may like the difference and you may not.

that said - normally a lower BB will make the bike feel more stable and make it feel like you are more 'in' the bike than 'on' the bike. I like this feeling myself and tend to use lowish BB's when I can.

A smaller trail number will in most cases make the bike feel more intuitive at lower speeds and possible a bit busy at higher speeds. But..... the trail is just one factor. Weight distribution, front center, bar drop, wheelbase.......etc all factor in and can not be separated.

I personally like low BB's and trail in the 5.7 range and think many would agree with me. But you can not be sure until you ride it.

Obtuse I know.

Dave

eddief
01-27-2011, 09:47 AM
and since my current bikes are all of a type, I am going to take a whack at the geo listed above. I sometimes think that "I think" I like slacker angles and lower bb's, but may have come that based on a trend I started for myself in the last 5 years and last 10 bikes.

Quite frankly, I may like being at taller angles, more forward a bit, and with smaller trail steering. Time il tell.

pbjbike
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
The new BB will only be a tad more than 1/4 inch higher, (.27"). I doubt you'll notice the difference in a straight line, and you'll be able to pedal through corners. The front end will be a more noticeable change, and, IMO, a welcome one from the slacker angles you are used to. You aren't pushing the limits with the changes. Let us know how it works out. :beer: