PDA

View Full Version : Photo friendly for Forum

toaster
01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Question, I've got a Canon 4.0 MP camera and I want the best resolution for this forum when I upload.

It has Normal, Superfine and Fine settings along with:

L (2272x1704), M1 (1600x1200), M2 (1024x768) and S (640x480).

Which is the best combo to do the job here on Forums?

Camera is PowerShot S410

thegunner
01-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Question, I've got a Canon 4.0 MP camera and I want the best resolution for this forum when I upload.

It has Normal, Superfine and Fine settings along with:

L (2272x1704), M1 (1600x1200), M2 (1024x768) and S (640x480).

Which is the best combo to do the job here on Forums?

Camera is PowerShot S410

for it to upload without resizing, i'm tempted to say you'd have to go with 'S.' assuming you don't want to have massive pics on the screen at any given time, 'M2' would be the largest appropriate picture.

old_fat_and_slow
01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
You've got to use whatever settings will result in a final picture that falls within the limits of the forum requirements. If you read the rules at the top of the gallery forums, I believe the limit (in pixels) is 800 x 800 and the file size is 100 kb. If you take your photo and the result is too large, in pixels or kilo-bytes, then you have to use photo editing software to re-size (pixel-wise and kb-wise).

Hope that made sense.

If you use Photoshop, I can help with the editing steps, but if you use something else, I caint he'p yah.

tuxbailey
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I say that you should always take pictures with the best resolution, then uploaded it a free hosting site like flickr, where you can post static link of the image of different sizes depending on the application.

dekindy
01-26-2011, 09:51 AM
max size is approximately 145kb

tuxbailey
01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
You can also use:

http://www.irfanview.com/

to resize pictures if you don't have PS. That way you can always shoot at the best resolution then resize as you see fit.

dave thompson
01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
For posting pics on the forum you can do two things:

Set your camera to whatever resolution you like, subscribe to a photo hosting site, some of which are free ( http://www.imageshack.us/ ), set the image there for 1024 for 17" monitor then include the forum pic info in your posts here.

OR if you want to have the forum host your pics through the 'Manage Attachments' feature here, set your camera to the 1024 setting, use the freeware Mihov Image Resizer which you have handily downloaded to your computer ( http://www.imageresizer.com/ ) and resize your image to 800 pixels wide or 144MB (whichever is smaller) and them manage your images!

veloduffer
01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
One thing about digital pics, you don't need high resolution for good pics on the web. If you notice, many photos are 72 dpi. For print work, you need 300 dpi.

So for the web, you can set the camera to Normal and Small. However, if you want to use the pics for other applications, then use the larger settings and resize.

thwart
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
To clarify a bit, 800 pixels x 800 pixels is the max for actual photo size, 145 KB is the maximum data size.

I'm certainly no expert :rolleyes: , but they seem to be separate things.

And, remember that nowadays many places of employment block photo sites like Flickr, Picasa, etc. Why, I don't know... ;)

dave thompson
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
To clarify a bit, 800 pixels x 800 pixels is the max for actual photo size, 145 KB is the maximum data size.

I'm certainly no expert :rolleyes: , but they seem to be separate things.

And, remember that nowadays many places of employment block photo sites like Flickr, Picasa, etc. Why, I don't know... ;)
Correct. If you size your pics to 800 pixels and it exceeds the 144KB data size, you have to resize the picture down until it comes in at or under the 144KB limit.

Ray
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
For posting pics on the forum you can do two things:

Set your camera to whatever resolution you like, subscribe to a photo hosting site, some of which are free ( http://www.imageshack.us/ ), set the image there for 1024 for 17" monitor then include the forum pic info in your posts here.

Dave's first recommendation is by FAR the easier way to go, rather than try to meet the forum's highly specific attachment management rules. just stick 'em on Flickr or something in whatever resolution you want Flickr will give you different size options - pick whichever will look best (don't worry about the specific forum rules - those images don't use any forum resources) and paste the URL into your message here, using the little picture frame above the "reply" window to stick codes before and after the URL.

I used to wrestle with sticking attachments in the forum directly - it was NOT worth the hassle!

Just as an example, here's a pic I just posted in Steve's coffee thread. If you hit "quote", you'll be able to see how the link is formatted and you should be able to do the same from any photo hosting site...

[IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5391016186_5ab34deb8b_o.jpg

-Ray

thwart
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
And what's the asking price on that, Ray? Coffee included? ;)

I think it is important to remember that (especially for classified users) at many folk's workplaces there's just a blank space in that spot above. No pic at all.

Ray
01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
And what's the asking price on that, Ray? Coffee included? ;)

I think it is important to remember that (especially for classified users) at many folk's workplaces there's just a blank space in that spot above. No pic at all.
Good point. But wouldn't the whole Serotta forum be a blank spot in those situations?

-Ray

thwart
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
No. Although VSalon is looked upon, at least in my place of employ, as a 'blog' and is blocked completely.

On our Forum the text and attachments come thru unscathed. But no linked images at all... :crap:

phlash23
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
I say that you should always take pictures with the best resolution, then uploaded it a free hosting site like flickr, where you can post static link of the image of different sizes depending on the application.

As a professional photographer, I second this comment. Even though there are a few extra steps in getting the image downsized appropriately (a hosting site is a huge help with that) the quality is better. A picture shot at the equivalent to 640x800 @ 72dpi ≠ an image shot at a much higher resolution and then downsized. Noise, sometimes called artifacts, is much lower and color depth and saturation is usually much higher. This is more the case with the point and shoot style cameras that most people use as the small CCD's are more prone to noise due to the smaller chip size. Turning down or off the in-camera sharpening helps as well. Sharpen it afterwards in Photoshop or your favorite image editing program.

dogdriver
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
An easy way is to take the pic in whatever file size you prefer, then email it to yourself. Either PC or Mac will give you an option to resize the file for email-- select something below 145kb (maybe a little smaller, as the files seem to "grow" in transit-- hidden taxes, I guess), save the received file to your desktop, attach to your message, and wa-laa! Sounds cumbersome, but its pretty easy.

You don't want to shoot a small file with the intent of publishing it on the interwebs, then later realize that it was something special that you wish was in a richer format...

My $.02, Chris

Steve in SLO
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Here's another method:
I use Picasa to organize my photos.
I have a folder with a desktop Icon I call "Upload Depot"
I go into Picasa and select thatever pics I want to upload to the forum and hit the "Export" button. I select the '800' size option and move them to the Upload Depot folder. I upload from there by using the forum browsing tool. The files are generally between 75 and 140kb and always fit into forum rules.
EZ.