PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic- Interesting aticle,

H.Frank Beshear
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
at least for me. I saw in the paper this morning an article on childhood cancer survivors and the health issues they are facing in later years. In a nutshell for those who may not know I found a lump in my upper thigh when I was a senior in high school. When I was 23 I had it removed and discovered that I had Hodgkins Lymphoma. I had chemo and radiation in 1983-84 and had a recurrence in 1985 with more radiation. A routine cat scan in 1988 showed more lumps in the abdomen. My friend and oncologist suggested I go to the University of Nebraska at Omaha to see a friend of his. I had an Autolougus (sp) Stem cell tranplant done January 4 1989 and came home on February 11 1989. I was beta test group for some drugs that have proven highly effective today. My wife started dating me in Chemo, the first time. I am the father of two wonderful twin girls and someday I have to explain just how sick their father was and what their mother and I were willing to do to have a family. I have been given a gift that I'm happy to say most of you cannot imagine, and those of you can know what I mean. I had a door open last night , my massage therapist and I were talking while she was beating up my legs from the weekend. She is training for a marathon for the Lymphoma- Luekemia foundation. I started telling her my story, the real one. I spoke with the president of the IA chapter today, and she's having some of her folks call me. I've spent my life trying to get folks to give me money this might be fun. The article mentions several of the issues my wife and I have faced, financial difficulties, infertilitly, depression, heart and lung problems. If I were better with the computer I'd find a link to the article. I will be doing some research into the references that were listed. Thanks all for allowing me a place to vent, and share, and cry. I have seen worlds that you shall never see. Take care Frank

Ken Robb
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't have guessed ole Frank had any of these problems when we rode together on his visit to San Diego. Way to recover :banana:

dave thompson
05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Before my wife had bones in her foot screwed together (four really nice Ti screws, I'm not sure if they were double-butted or not) she used to do marathons for the Lymphoma- Leukemia Society. We had an opportunity to meet one of the children that the Society helped, an absolutely darling 1 year-old boy. The local chapter of the Society "adopted" the boy and dedicated their marathons to him.

No one deserves to have this disease, particularly children.

Bless you Frank, and live a long and happy life!

Dave

Tom
05-18-2005, 07:41 AM
My brother's getting the BMT for the same lymphoma I had. CHOP and ASHAP not totally effective. I was not feeling very good about things until I read your account, because when I was sick my doc used the word "bleak" when we talked about what would be the outlook if I needed the transplant. I'm not worried for myself, it's been more than 12 years. I'm worried for my brother. However, he tells me that the most important thing in our existence "is our appointment with Jesus." Maybe so but don't be early, I told him. The magazines in the waiting room suck.

Why him and not me?

I think I go listen to some John Prine.

Today I walked down the street I use to wander
Yeah, shook my head and made myself a bet
There was all these things that I don't think I remember
Hey, How lucky can one man get.

I bronzed my shoes and hung from a rearview mirror
Bronzed admiration in the blind spot of regret
There was all these things that I don't think I remember
Hey, How lucky can one man get.

Today I walked down the street I use to wander
Yeah, scratched my head and lit my cigarette