PDA

View Full Version : The Making of a Custom Bike, Soulcraft Video

Hawker
01-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but it is new to me and I really found it well done and interesting. Shoot...I have trouble changing my brake pads.

http://www.dump.com/2011/01/20/beautiful-video-on-the-making-of-custom-steel-bicycle-frames-video/

avalonracing
01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Nice video. Horrible soundtrack.

Bob Ross
01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice video. Horrible soundtrack.

^^^This.

Can anybody with knowledge of brazing & TIG welding explain to me why Sean wears totally different types of eye protection when he's performing those two acts?

maxdog
01-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Really enjoyed the music myself. Very cool vid.

Marcy
01-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the link -- I really enjoyed the video!

CaptStash
01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Can anybody with knowledge of brazing & TIG welding explain to me why Sean wears totally different types of eye protection when he's performing those two acts?

Brazing uses only an oxygen/acetylene flame. The amount of light is far less than that created through arc welding. TIW is an arc type weld, which is closer in intensity to fusion (like the sun) than flame. So there you go!

CaptStash.... (a barely competent MIG welder)

PS: I liked the music too. And the video was great fun too.

old_fat_and_slow
01-26-2011, 10:05 AM
that was effing amazing !

Dude has an awesome shop. (I have a shop like that in some of my deep darkest fantasies.)

Do all builders have that extensive of a machine shop set-up?? All I can say is wow! (Didn't see any CNC mills around though.)

How long did it take dude to build all those jigs and tooling?

Awesome set-up.

v531xc
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Wow, really enjoyed that video! Just realized its on the front page of the Soulcraft site, and on the blog too.

I met Sean at Interbike last year - great guy. He used to work with Bruce as well and then with Ross Shafer at Salsa.

I'd really like to get a 29er from him one day.

michael white
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
these videos are amazingly effective marketing tools. That vid had me checking his website and prices and thinking hard about it. I had the same response to the Bilenky vid and to a long RIH (in Amsterdam) video. Film and framebuilding are like oreos and milk to me.

DY123
01-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes the light output from brazing is far less bright than TIG. Some get by with brazing in dark sunglasses.

I'm glad to see Sean brazing with a respirator (I thought I was the only one to do that :)

man...that guy has some tools...... nice.

Hawker
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
First, as the OP my apologies for posting this twice...hit the button too many times.

Second, I liked the music...but I'm a jazz&blues guy.

Third, if we could get some screaming, yelling and throwing things, we might have an alternative to American Chopper? :)

rnhood
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
This video was well done, and Soulcraft is well equipped. These videos are good tools for introducing builders, and helping people get a better understanding of the work that goes into their frames. No doubt Soulcraft is a fine builder. I too had to take a look at their website to see what models and type bikes they offered.

fourflys
01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
re: the shop...

I do believe is building in the same location that Ross Schafer built the original Salsa's...

oldpotatoe
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
re: the shop...

I do believe is building in the same location that Ross Schafer built the original Salsa's...

Yep, they are pretty much next to each other in the same place.