PDA

View Full Version : I bought a new frame and am going to build it up!

Frank
05-17-2005, 07:39 PM
After selling off most of the nice steel frames I had, I decided to buy and try something different. I ordered a Habanero road frame today and am going to give it a try. It sure was hard paying full retail for a frame ($695) after so many years of bargain buying off the 'net, but I didn't think it too much to pay for a new ti frame that I will build up and ride. I know a Serotta ti would have been nice, but being a budget bike buyer this was closer to my financial tastes :)

I will build it up with Ultegra 9 speed STI, Open Pro wheels, Thomson seat post, Specialized saddle, etc. like the others I have built up in the past couple of years and will either use a nice like-new Serotta F1 or Profile or Easton threaded carbon fiber fork. I am going to use a bit longer stem than I use now (current Tommasini is 55.5cm top tube with 10cm stem this will be 54.5cm top tube with 11cm stem) but overall will be about the same length.

I think it ships tomorrow so should get it in time to build it up next week and get some riding in while my daughter is at her mom's for an after-school is out visit for a couple of weeks.

I will let you know how I like it, but right now am pretty excited about getting it and riding something different than what I have been riding (ti w/carbon fiber fork vs. steel with steel fork).

Kurt
05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
bet it will be a sweet ride, you might miss the road feel that steel has brought you all these years, but for long range missions or rough roads ti has its place. nice welds on the frames I have seen from them - whole bikes and nice ones with centaur in the mid2's makes you wonder. please post a ride report after you have flogged that thing.

eddief
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Being one interested in bang for buck and avoiding shuck and jive, it will be fun to hear updates on your experiences with an eastern manufactured ti frame. I actually called Mark Hickey at Haba once to put in my order, but he was on vacation for a few days. I couldn't wait, so ended up buying my TST instead. Put a nice build kit on it and some good tires and I'm guessing you will be a happy guy. How does it go? 95% of the ride for one fifth the price. Oh well, something like that.

It might also be fun to have him do a custom for $995 and see how he does on designing one just for you.

Frank
05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=eddief]it will be fun to hear updates on your experiences with an eastern manufactured ti frame.

You mean this Habanero comes from the same area that produces Sachs, IF, and Serotta? Cool! ;)

dave thompson
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
.............that I will build up and ride...................................

Damn, I think I feel the ground shaking!

Frank
05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Damn, I think I feel the ground shaking!

but maybe you are indeed feeling a pre-build tremor :p

Keith A
05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Whoa Frank, you can't do this to us -- we won't know what to expect next. Maybe The Jerk will start using a shorter stem or dbrk will place an order for a BMC, or maybe, just maybe Kevan and Sandy will become friends. I don't know Frank, you may be starting something that might get out of control. :p
Seriously, congrats on your new purchase and I have heard nothing but good about Mark. We do expect pictures AND a RIDE REPORT!