PDA

View Full Version : What did we do before the internet?

54ny77
01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
With all the recent hoopla and whatnot, I ask this: what did you do in terms of learning all you could about bike land in the pre-internet days, a.k.a. the cro-magnon era?

I for one would pour through Winning and whatever euro magazines the local pro shop would get (with all their unobtanium things, such luxury!), and enjoy leafing through the Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports catalog, with the occasional Cambria Bicycle newprint catalog thrown in for good measure. And if I wanted to learn something, I had to delicately dance with those "who knew" a thing or two, lest I inquire too much at one time....

Learning about the Tour de France in great detail was typically an August or September event. So much reading, and the photos! Such action! Nowadays, if someone farts loudly in the peloton, there's seemingly a tweet about it within 30 seconds. A different era, no doubt.

Oh and for the record, Bicycling Magazine sucked then and still does. :banana:

Lifelover
01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
What did we do before the internet?

I used to read the Penthouse forum. Does that count?

Frankwurst
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought stuff like this and read it, taught myself how to rebuild a bottom bracket, glue a tubular to a rim, adjust derailers (Sheldons spelling) and.....well you get the picture. That was in the 70's. I was a dumba$$ then and say with great pride nothing has changed. :beer:

GuyGadois
01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
https://www.msu.edu/~will1413/Morse%20Code%20Chart%202.jpg

54ny77
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, there was Usenet and the rec.bicycles listserve.

How revolutionary it was....

Forgot about that one...

So tedious sorting thru them in the early days though.

Frankwurst
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
https://www.msu.edu/~will1413/Morse%20Code%20Chart%202.jpg

FWIW I believe I read somewhere a person skilled at this was faster than a person texting. I don't use either. :beer:

vqdriver
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
before the net, everything was local. the coolest bike in the world was the coolest bike hanging in the coolest lbs. everything else was just a picture 30 days after the fact.

allenwhy
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
before the internet i rode bikes.

after the internet i talked about bikes.

Fixed
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
With all the recent hoopla and whatnot, I ask this: what did you do in terms of learning all you could about bike land in the pre-internet days, a.k.a. the cro-magnon era?

I for one would pour through Winning and whatever euro magazines the local pro shop would get (with all their unobtanium things, such luxury!), and enjoy leafing through the Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports catalog, with the occasional Cambria Bicycle newprint catalog thrown in for good measure. And if I wanted to learn something, I had to delicately dance with those "who knew" a thing or two, lest I inquire too much at one time....

Learning about the Tour de France in great detail was typically an August or September event. So much reading, and the photos! Such action! Nowadays, if someone farts loudly in the peloton, there's seemingly a tweet about it within 30 seconds. A different era, no doubt.

Oh and for the record, Bicycling Magazine sucked then and still does. :banana:
+1
i had a friend who spoke french and i could get daly updates on short wave radio of the t. d. f. on our afternoon rides after work
cheers

merckx
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I used to have sex more often before the internet. No kidding.

Nil Else
01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
"What did we do before the internet?"

A great question... that goes way beyond cycling.

I wish I had the internet access back then... I could've accomplished so much more... but on the other hand, I long for the simpler/analog times of less information... the air felt different.

BumbleBeeDave
01-25-2011, 08:14 PM

. . . used to have sex more often. :crap:

It has nothing to do with the Internet. :p

BBD

fiamme red
01-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I used to have sex more often before the internet. No kidding.It's all Al Gore's fault! ;)

Monthly Payment
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh and for the record, Bicycling Magazine sucked then and still does.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. If I have to choose the less sophisticated, dumbed down version or nothing at all, I'd rather have something.

130R
01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
we watched something called television

happycampyer
01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Drugs?

shiftyfixedgear
01-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Everything went downhill after 1980. The internet is just a symptom . . . :)

merckx
01-26-2011, 05:40 AM
It's all Al Gore's fault! ;)

If I ever caught Al Gore sleeping with my wife.............

Ti Designs
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
If cycling to you is all about the bike or watching the pros race, life before the internet was tough. If cycling to you is all about what you can do on a bike, not much has changed.

rugbysecondrow
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
There was a time when there wasn't an internet? Now I am really confused.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM

bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

zray67
01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Do you think that since you were younger before the advent of the internet that your youth might have contributed to your sexual activities.

tuxbailey
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
As an occasional DIYer, the net has been invaluable to be in terms of bike and car maintenance. I think I have literally save tens of thousands of dollars by learning how to do certain thing on my car. Without it, I would have to take it to the mechanic/dealer every time something breaks or end up not owning my current car.

Ditto with the bike.

thendenjeck
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
dubble post, please delete.

thendenjeck
01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
i found out about the internet before i found out about bikes (i'm just young enough for this to be true), but before I got into forums, I used to hang out at this one bike shop with a cool old-timer to get all my bike knowledge. and to be honest, it was more enjoyable and I learned more.

before forums, i def rode my bike more often. I also talked to people and left the house more often. maybe it's time to kick the forum habit?

false_Aest
01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
. . . used to have sex more often. :crap:

It has nothing to do with the Internet. :p

BBD

Uhm. Yeah but the method for instigating was cellulose based not electron.

JMerring
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Drugs?

some things just stay the same

jr59
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Lets see, I rode by bike more.

I hung out in some cool bike shops.

I learned how to ride in a group by riding with a bunch of old timers that took the time to teach/show me the way to ride in a pace line, both single as well as double., and never leave your teammate on a training ride.
I learned training rides were just that, training rides, NOT races.

I do have a question to the OP about having sex; Is that counting sex with yourself?

Ti Designs
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM

This seems to be the case a lot. Let me ask you(s) a question, do you blame the internet, do you blame yourself for allowing this to happen (this is called personal responsibility - it's downright unamerican) or do you just accept it?

zray67
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
This seems to be the case a lot. Let me ask you(s) a question, do you blame the internet, do you blame yourself for allowing this to happen (this is called personal responsibility - it's downright unamerican) or do you just accept it?

Twenty five years ago I joined a twelve step program because of a major issue I was having with a substance(s) abuse. Amazoningly, at least to me, I stayed with the program and will have 26 years continuous in March. The two main practical reasons I contribute to the "success" of my absence from substance(s) and my subsequent deeper participation in life is first, I gave away my TV 26 years ago and never owned another one. The second reason is I go to almost a daily meeting so that the personal interaction between/amongst people is very important to me. The internet is addictive and the time spent on it should be monitored.

54ny77
01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
The internet is both a blessing and a curse. That said, if I'm not riding it's because I'm simply not riding, and has nothing to do with the computer monitor in front of my eyes.

Also, I don't really watch t.v., don't use social media, am functionally illiterate when it comes to modern popular culture, and am a complete embarrassment to friends (esp. those in the entertainment biz) who know what movies are currently playing. In short, I'm becoming a grumpy old man that's almost ready for wearing denim overalls in public--and not give a damn about it either.

I did just watch Avatar over the xmas holiday, so I'm sorta up to date. Cool special effects in that one for sure. :beer:

BryanE
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Waited for Velo News and went to bike stores and talked to real
flesh and blood people.
Bryan

crankles
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I went to the library.

Frankwurst
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Also, I don't really watch t.v., don't use social media, am functionally illiterate when it comes to modern popular culture, and am a complete embarrassment to friends (esp. those in the entertainment biz) who know what movies are currently playing. In short, I'm becoming a grumpy old man that's almost ready for wearing denim overalls in public--and not give a damn about it either.
:beer:

Welcome to the club. We now have two members I know of. The other member is already a grumpy old man and wears the overalls of which you speak of and does not give a damn. :beer:

54ny77
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
well i do have a pair of dickies overalls from santa.

the other day i told my wife i'd pick her up in the airport (swank westchester, very small), with me in the waiting area, wearing those and a big furry winter hat and big snow boots.

she told me no way in hell, she'd take a cab instead. :hello:

Welcome to the club. We now have two members I know of. The other member is already a grumpy old man and wears the overalls of which you speak of and does not give a damn. :beer:

Frankwurst
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
well i do have a pair of dickies overalls from santa.

the other day i told my wife i'd pick her up in the airport (swank westchester, very small), with me in the waiting area, wearing those and a big furry winter hat and big snow boots.

she told me no way in hell, she'd take a cab instead. :hello:

Tell her the overalls don't make the man, the man makes the overalls and you get bonus points for the hat and boots! :beer: