PDA

View Full Version : Bay help

zott28
01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Sometimes things stand out as odd on some ebay listings.

1.No feed back
2.Newish account.
3.Only one photo uploaded
4.Answered questions/sent more photos from a Harry Potter related named gmail account.
5. No reserve on a high-end, lightly used frame.

It's got to be a fake, right? Does anyone have experience collecting your money back thru ebay/paypal if you get burned. I normally do and image search on the Google or Bing and find the photos that scammers are using, but I haven't found any of these...maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical.

Thanks

dave thompson
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM

1.No feed back
2.Newish account.
3.Only one photo uploaded
4.Answered questions/sent more photos from a Harry Potter related named gmail account.
5. No reserve on a high-end, lightly used frame.

It's got to be a fake, right? Does anyone have experience collecting your money back thru ebay/paypal if you get burned. I normally do and image search on the Google or Bing and find the photos that scammers are using, but I haven't found any of these...maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical.

Thanks
Go back and read your items 1 through 5 as if you were reading a post from someone else. What would you advise them? Act upon your advice.

My advice would be to walk away.

chismog
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Sometimes it is for real. Hey, everyone has to start at 0, maybe that's the case here. Best bet is to try to contact the seller thru alternative means, like a phone call. A real seller wants to allay your fears, and having a known number to call them at goes a long way to pinning them down.

If you can convince yourself to take the chance, you might get a great deal. My friend scored a fabulous bike for next to nothing- literally- with a situation just like this. He called, the seller explained himself and provided full disclosure on the bike and a reference.

If it's paypal and there's a guarantee, you probably aren't going to get screwed. Just follow the instructions carefully.

drewski
01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Sometimes it is for real. Hey, everyone has to start at 0, maybe that's the case here. Best bet is to try to contact the seller thru alternative means, like a phone call. A real seller wants to allay your fears, and having a known number to call them at goes a long way to pinning them down.

If you can convince yourself to take the chance, you might get a great deal. My friend scored a fabulous bike for next to nothing- literally- with a situation just like this. He called, the seller explained himself and provided full disclosure on the bike and a reference.

If it's paypal and there's a guarantee, you probably aren't going to get screwed. Just follow the instructions carefully.

If you can't resist make sure you pay with a credit card linked to your paypal
account. Also someone correct if I am wrong here:

Ebay considers bicycles a highly risky item and will not let
the seller withdraw the funds until you put in positive feedback for the item.

yngpunk
01-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Just a quick note about the name on the email account, from someone's handle might not inspire confidence...person's handle doesn't always tell you a lot about the person...I've bought and sold frames here and on ebay with the same handle and I think everyone I've dealt with will vouch for me, despite my handle.

Agree with others...ask for a contact number and give the person a call.

Good Luck

oliver1850
01-26-2011, 05:03 AM