PDA

View Full Version : Handlebra Tips

Uncle Jam's Army
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Just yesterday I bought some Handlebra and wanted to know how people were installing it. Does anybody run some cork tape underneath for cushioning? How about bare, does it feel comfortable? Finally, anybody have experience with the white Handlebra? Is it easy to clean up?

I am currently running Lizard Skin on one bike and Fizik Microtex on another. I like the Lizard Skin a lot, as it provides excellent grip and good cushioning. I am using the Microtex on one bike because the white tape is easy to clean up with Magic Eraser. Surprisingly, I don't find the lack of cushioning that big a deal on the Microtex, but it is not the best grip.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any information and experience you can relate.

gone
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
First a caveat: I don't like a lot of padding either in bar tape or gloves so take that into account. I put a single layer of athletic tape underneath to provide grip in case I get caught in the rain but then put the handlebra on straight. I find it quite comfortable.

No experience with white tape, mine is brown.

climbgdh
01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Handlebra is awesome stuff!! I have it on two of my bikes. On both I've pre-wrapped with cotton hockey tape but see no reason why a pre-wrap with cork wouldn't work either for more cushioning. I have the white on my Merckx. It went on about a year ago and still looks wonderful even after being covered in reminants to Powergels while riding, general road crud & grease from my dirty mitts. This stuff cleans up extremely well!! I've been using the 404 Protectant (i think that's what it's called?). Just above the hoods where my hands rest the majority of the time there is a nice worn leather look which i really like!! Awesome product!

dekindy
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I used the Fizik gel under pads.

Product recommendation here:
http://handlebra.com/product-information

Wrapping the Bars…..

The Park Tools Website has excellent instructions. Starting from the drops and working to the stem, wrap over the top of handlebar toward the bike; that is CCW on drive train side and CW on the other. Most people tend to rotate their hands inward towards the bike, wrapping in this fashion, one is always naturally tightening the wrap.

Please observe that the wrap has NO adhesive strip. So it’s reusable. Got a Brifter problem????…. No need to chit can the leather wrap.

Please consider FIRST wrapping the bar with athletic tape, available at any drugstore, or even better, use hockey tape. Else, the leather wrap could slip around a bit if it gets inundated in a rain storm.

You can wrap this leather tight for a nice even flat final appearance. Just exercise a bit of caution around the seams.

BUT EVEN BETTER. Here is what I did!!! And it feels fantastic. GO stuff your Bra !!!!!

DOUBLE WRAP!!!! Wrap the leather over some cheapo (thin) cork wrap. Used cork/stuff off the LBS floor works great!!!!!! This provides a bit of firm cushion!!! One can adjust the amount of cushion, by adjusting the spacing (between turns) of the under-layman cork wrap. I did build a prototype with a very expensive 3M thin foam backing. Many cyclists just ripped this backing right off. I almost cried! So I thought it best to allow individual cyclists to determine the type of under-layman, if any.

After the wrap is completed, perhaps apply a bit more “Liquid Cream” if desired (work in well) & keep the bike in a warm place for a while.

Ahneida Ride
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
about 50% like to use cheapo cork wrap as an underlaymen ...
This adds some cushion + makes the bars a bit thicker for big hands.

The other 50% like HB wrap over plain ole Hockey tape.
This works exceedingly well.

The other 50% well .... :p

you can also wrap over jell pads etc ...

I hope this helps .... :beer:

Ahneida Ride
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
the 303 aerospace protectant works well.

It provides additional UV protection + a sacrificial layer.

znfdl
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I use hockey tape under my HB.....

rugbysecondrow
01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
about 50% like to use cheapo cork wrap as an underlaymen ...
This adds some cushion + makes the bars a bit thicker for big hands.

The other 50% like HB wrap over plain ole Hockey tape.
This works exceedingly well.

The other 50% well .... :p

you can also wrap over jell pads etc ...

I hope this helps .... :beer:

I have gone the cheapo cork underwrap route. I have bigger hands and it also adds some cushion as I don't like to wear gloves.

Paul

dave thompson
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
My white HandleBra will be going into it's 3rd season this year, going strong. Very easy to keep clean and tidy. One person who had ridden a ride with me a year prior asked me if I had re-wrapped my bars for the ride and was surprised when I told them no. Very good stuff!

rdparadise
01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, if the bikes are already built up and you already have a bar wrap on them, just go right over. The cushioning will be really nice and yes the bars will be fatter. If you don't dig fat bars, then go commando or with the hockey tape.

Now get back to riding. :)

bob

Uncle Jam's Army
01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks all for the great information. This is going on a new bike build, so I am still thinking about what to put underneath the Handlebra.

sc53
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
I use bras on three bikes and tried cork under one (for a fat look), hockey tape widely spaced under another (for a thin look) and gel padding under the third (VERY comfy!) I like all three styles and the bras look even better (smoother, more buttery) with each additional season of use. I have black, cobalt blue, and cigar brown bras. Beautiful! I want a new bike, just so I can buy a new bra.

Mike748
01-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I think no matter what you want some hockey tape under. The tape has a little bit of tack and keeps the leather in place.

Personally I put some gel tape longwise on the parts of the bar I rest on the most, then cover that with hockey tape. This gives extra padding where I need it without making the bars too bulky.

Birddog
01-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Padded bra is or at least was an American tradition inspired by the Italians I think. At least when I was in grade school it was Italian inspired.
Alas, in today's world, padded bra has given way to other forms of enhancement and I look for Ray to follow suit. It can't be too far down the road before Ray follows the lead of Victoria's Secret and has some bra with it's own built in "lift". Hard to believe that 'hockey tape" has to suffice in the interim, but then again, in the old days Kleenex was a mainstay.

Ahneida Ride
01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Hard to believe that 'hockey tape" has to suffice in the interim, but then again, in the old days Kleenex was a mainstay.

I did make some "padded" bra ....

at the last TdFL .... I saw half the riders strip the padding right off.

The padding was an expensive 3M product.

everyone likes to stuff their bra differently.

dave thompson
01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I use bras on three bikes and tried cork under one (for a fat look), hockey tape widely spaced under another (for a thin look) and gel padding under the third (VERY comfy!) I like all three styles and the bras look even better (smoother, more buttery) with each additional season of use. I have black, cobalt blue, and cigar brown bras. Beautiful! I want a new bike, just so I can buy a new bra.
I didn't know you wore a bra! :D

Erik.Lazdins
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
the 303 aerospace protectant works well.

It provides additional UV protection + a sacrificial layer.

If you could use one product for new HB installs, what would you apply?

I've got hockey tape ready, once the HB shows up, I'll complete the Ottrott refresh

thanks,
Erik

dave thompson
01-26-2011, 10:22 AM
If you could use one product for new HB installs, what would you apply?

I've got hockey tape ready, once the HB shows up, I'll complete the Ottrott refresh

thanks,
Erik
I've used 303 on all my bras for a couple of years. I'm happy.

Ahneida Ride
01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
good stuff a little dab will do ya

http://allleathermaintenance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

Uncle Jam's Army
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Ray, I meant to call you, but I'll pose the question here. Have you heard of anyone using Nikwax on the wrap? It is aqueous and I use it on my leather mountaineering boots.

Sounds like people have good results with the 303 stuff.

Birddog
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
everyone likes to stuff their bra differently
Personally, I like em unstuffed, "free range" if you will.

Ahneida Ride
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Nope ... never heard of Nikwax ...

Try some on some left over wrap ...

or perhaps on an obscure spot on the bars,

Looks like the stuff would work.