PDA

View Full Version : info requested: Look lugged steel bike

d_douglas
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I just picked up a near mint condition lugged steel Look road bike. I bought it to strip the minty 9speed Chorus/Record group off of it, but as I was looking at the frame, I realized two things:

a) it is a very nice frame

b) it probably wasn't built by Look.

I am guessing that they contracted out their 'retro' bikes because they are so into Carbon. This bike looks original and had 9spd Campy and unfortunately a carbon fork (likely a Look), so my guess is that it is fr around 2000.

Columbus Neuron tubeset, near flawless chrome and a great airbrushed Italian influenced paintjob, threaded steerer.

For a moment I wondered if it was a Pegoretti, but I think my dreams are dashed. The serial number is 58CN0147 - 58cm Columbus Neuron 147th of series.

Well, if anyone knows anything about this thing, let me know. I was going to sell, but now I am curious - it is my size!

I will post photos for ogling soon...

Cheers,

Darren

southernexposur
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Dont know who built it, but I always did want a steel look back when I was racing! I say keep it, and ride the crap out of it. Post some pics of it if you can as well.
Andrew

old_fat_and_slow
01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4396069479_d9710c0834.jpg

aaronf
01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Agreed, picture is needed.
But even without the picture I would guess you have a KG243, mostly yellow and red? If so, that is from 1997 and maybe 1998. According to Look (at the time) these were built by De Bernardi, but later I think they attributed them to Billato.
Originally came with a chrome straight-bladed threaded fork that matched nicely with the chrome rear triangle. Additionally the entire frame was chromed before paint, so any scratches will likely have chrome showing through. Chrome was typical Italian quality of the time, so may not be particularly well bonded to the steel...
I have one that I bought new, with well over 20k miles on it and it has always treated me right. Overall a very nice Italian frame with Look geometry. It's not exactly a lightweight frameset (even for 1997) but rides and handles great and not too many around then and especially now. Always gets compliments on any group ride. Haven't ridden mine in three or four years now, but I think it may need to go out this weekend.
Aaron

kohlboto
01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I just picked up a near mint condition lugged steel Look road bike. I bought it to strip the minty 9speed Chorus/Record group off of it... I was going to sell, but now I am curious - it is my size!

I will post photos for ogling soon...

Cheers,

Darren
Ahem...it would be my size as well...

d_douglas
01-26-2011, 02:09 AM
I love this forum.

Yes, it seems that you have identified this bike to a T. And the stylized cutout on the BB shell would suggest that it is indeed a 'B' for Billato. Also correct, this is no lightweight, but for anyone who has ridden a classic Italian steel bike, weight is irrelevant. I would guess that it tips in at just over 10kg or so.

So now I have the conundrum of having too many bikes and no need for this cool steed. My wife gave me an 80s Cinelli SC, so I am stocked up on cool Italian steel bikes. I am debating stripping all of the mint Campy Chorus off of it and putting Veloce 10 spd on it, but in a way, maybe I should just leave it the way it is and pass it along.

Jay: you get first dibs IF I sell. Sorry Serotta folks, Jay's an old buddy of mine! Perhaps it can be hand delivered, Jay.

PS photos will come - I think it is a beautiful bike and you/we will appreciate it.

Agreed, picture is needed.
But even without the picture I would guess you have a KG243, mostly yellow and red? If so, that is from 1997 and maybe 1998. According to Look (at the time) these were built by De Bernardi, but later I think they attributed them to Billato.
Originally came with a chrome straight-bladed threaded fork that matched nicely with the chrome rear triangle. Additionally the entire frame was chromed before paint, so any scratches will likely have chrome showing through. Chrome was typical Italian quality of the time, so may not be particularly well bonded to the steel...
I have one that I bought new, with well over 20k miles on it and it has always treated me right. Overall a very nice Italian frame with Look geometry. It's not exactly a lightweight frameset (even for 1997) but rides and handles great and not too many around then and especially now. Always gets compliments on any group ride. Haven't ridden mine in three or four years now, but I think it may need to go out this weekend.
Aaron

Ken Robb
01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
If I bought a bike my size I would HAVE to ride and evaluate it before stripping it for parts. I might like it better than the bike I had planned to build with the components.

zap
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm sure I have an article about this steel Look.

When I get a chance I'll head down to the auto/cycling library and pull that issue of Bicycle Guide.

d_douglas
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I do believe that I might need to test it out. One catch is that it has weirdly short cranks for a 58cm (170mm). I would exchange these either way, though they are mint and like a piece of art! I have a ride planned for Sat AM, so I might pull this steed out and take a spin rather than my Speedvagen.

In terms of perference, these are for two different purposes. I need parts for my beloved Redline ti with disc brakes, so there is no real comparison.

The Look/Billato would compare to my Cinelli, but I might be disowned if I asked to sell my engagement gift for a random stranger's rather tacky airbrushed frame :rolleyes:

It would be bad form, so this frameset or bike, whichever it will be, has to go.

Ken Robb
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
In my experience w/cranks that are shorter than normal for me (170 vs 175) I notice the difference but there is no problem riding them. I did experience some knee twinges when I hammered up some hills using 180 cranks.
My limited observations lead me to believe that shorter cranks were more common on older bikes. My 170s came on a 1981 Nishiki Pro.
Have fun with it.