PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Testosterone Therapy

dekindy
01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I had a physical recently. My testosterone is a little over 300, which is on the very low end of the 300 to 800 range that is considered normal. I have done a little reading and found that higher bad cholesterol and higher overall cholesterol are symptoms as well as gaining fat around the waist, depression, and fatigue. I find myself experiencing all those symptoms, especially depression, which I have been taking medication for almost 20 years after having a minor episode at age 29 and a major episode at age 33. Medication has largely controlled it but I always wondered what the underlying cause was. I would consider these chronic symptoms that I have experienced all my life but except for depression were more due to a combination of diet and my genetics.

Anybody had experience with Testosterone therapy? I have an appointment scheduled for next week to discuss my test results. Vitamin D3 results were low also. I requested both these tests as part of my physical because I had done some research and determined that these were basic questions that I wanted answered.

I am inclined to make a very conscious effort to get more sleep and lose weight as a first response instead of medication to determine which is cause and which is effect. I know you cannot advise me but if several guys have tried this to no avail then maybe I should rethink my philosophy toward medication. I was advised that because of my age that they occurred and severity of my depressive episodes that as I got older it was certain to occur again; I reconciled to taking depression medication for the rest of my life. Modern pharmaceuticals are generally positive but I want to refrain from taking any more than I absolutely have to since once you go down that road it seems to steamroll and before you know it the cure is worse than not taking medication.

oldguy00
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
My lab uses a different measuring unit, but I too am on the low side of normal. As is my Hematocrit.... :crap:
I asked my doc if it would be a good or bad thing to raise the test level artificially. My doc is really nice and generally very open minded, and she had no issue with me asking. But the point she made was that given that my levels are -consistent-, and all within the normal (even if low) range, that artificially raising them could cause other things to be thrown out of balance, including blood pressure, cholesterol.........you're talking about throwing your body's hormone balance off.

As to my low HCT, she congratulated me on having nice thin blood.....

I'm not a doctor.....but I find it hard to believe that taking a test. supplement will help with either weight loss or depression.
Growth hormone, on the other hand, might be something you want to ask about..

rugbysecondrow
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Interestingly, I read an article a few years ago about the relationship between low testosterone and small hands. I remember you mentioning your small hands in a previous thread, so this is interesting.

I have nothing else to add.

I had a physical recently. My testosterone is a little over 300, which is on the very low end of the 300 to 800 range that is considered normal. I have done a little reading and found that higher bad cholesterol and higher overall cholesterol are symptoms as well as gaining fat around the waist, depression, and fatigue. I find myself experiencing all those symptoms, especially depression, which I have been taking medication for almost 20 years after having a minor episode at age 29 and a major episode at age 33. Medication has largely controlled it but I always wondered what the underlying cause was. I would consider these chronic symptoms that I have experienced all my life but except for depression were more due to a combination of diet and my genetics.

Anybody had experience with Testosterone therapy? I have an appointment scheduled for next week to discuss my test results. Vitamin D3 results were low also. I requested both these tests as part of my physical because I had done some research and determined that these were basic questions that I wanted answered.

I am inclined to make a very conscious effort to get more sleep and lose weight as a first response instead of medication to determine which is cause and which is effect. I know you cannot advise me but if several guys have tried this to no avail then maybe I should rethink my philosophy toward medication. I was advised that because of my age that they occurred and severity of my depressive episodes that as I got older it was certain to occur again; I reconciled to taking depression medication for the rest of my life. Modern pharmaceuticals are generally positive but I want to refrain from taking any more than I absolutely have to since once you go down that road it seems to steamroll and before you know it the cure is worse than not taking medication.

thwart
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
My testosterone is a little over 300, which is on the very low end of the 300 to 800 range that is considered normal. I'd advise against it. It can increase your risk of prostate cancer, as well as other possible deleterious effects. Last time I researched this, most experts recommended against hormone therapy unless your level is definitely outside of normal, on repeated studies.

And then some would still recommend against it.

Acotts
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Vitamin D is very, very important in it relationship to depression. All the clinical trials are going on right now, so we wont see major scientific studies for another couple years. But you really should try to up the D3 intake.

ANyone who lives north of the equater and is affected by SAD, should really look into this. It has done wonders for me.

Also, if you buy D3, buy Carlsand. The doctor who perscribed this for me said it is the only brand out there she really trusts. This is important becuase D3 is a really powerful hormone precurser. You dont want bad stuff.

-A

dekindy
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Would going to a tanning salon during the Winter help?

I take a multivitamin that has 500 units and usually drink a cup of milk per day.

BCS
01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Would going to a tanning salon during the Winter help?

Not worth the increased risk of skin cancer. Take your Vitamin D and anti- depressant. Forget the testosterone. You are in the normal range.

tuscanyswe
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I had on my first test: 8 out of a scale: 10-30
I have since probably had 10 more tests and they vary alot!

My health issues started after having serious stomach issues about 4 to 5 years ago. After a long struggle i have come to the conclusion that im allergic or intolerant to gluten (wheat etc) and possibly more. After about 6 month of gluten free diet my Testosterone bounced up to 25 on the same scale. Thats more than 3 fold increase from previous tests. Poor health in general will cause low T and low T will definely cause poor health.

If i were you id ask my doctor to order bioavailable testosterone (or free testosterone) as its believed to be a better marker. You should also check your estradiol levels (e2 or estrogen if you will) as high levels can decrease your testosterone in more ways than 1. Lh should be checked aswell.

I also have experience with supplementing testosterone but since the experience varies so much from person to person one cant really say that you would benefit or not from it even if your levels are low. Theres really no way of knowing without testing for oneself. If you decide on testing i would try the gel for convenience even if your insurance may only cover injection as its alot cheaper. For me supplementing T dident do much for the issues i was having but brought on a set of other sideeffects. Some nice some not so nice:)

At what time did you have your tests done? it should be in the morning as i know from experience you will get a lower result later in the day.

Today my levels are good without supplementing, i still have stomach issues that linger but they are atleast better than before.

My advice would be to do the additional tests (in the morning!) but to hold off untill you have edjucated yourself (wich is alot of work btw, must have spent weeks just reading stuff) of the pros and cons and then decide if you want to try.

Low vitamin D isent that unusuall really. Id say its trendy :)
I have had it to and was easily fixed with a vitamin pill but did not feel any different from before so i dont take it anymore. Many have low D this time of the year as it increases from sunlight and usually little sun around right now.

Tanning salons wouldent do much as its very little of that particular uv in them. There are special tanning salons for ppl with scoriacis that will help tho but a pill will do the same as long as its vit d3.

Best of luck.

shiftyfixedgear
01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
If only you had been a professional cyclist all these years you would have had no problem trying testosterone and HGH supplementation . . .

KeithS
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I live way north of the equator, lately it feels like north of the north pole. My vitamin D reading was really low last winter. Dr. put me on a 2000iu dose. I never had a diagnosis of depression, nor am I aware of a low testosterone, but then again I have big hands.

tuscanyswe
01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
If only you had been a professional cyclist all these years you would have had no problem trying testosterone and HGH supplementation . . .

I was. You should have seen me! fastest messenger around :)
Nah, but Yyou could deffinetly feel an improvement in your performance on the bike but that could have been cause i was low to begin with.

The dose you take is just big enough to push you into a healthy range its not like taking anabolics for gains wich typically is 10x bigger dose or similar.

kong79
01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I am currently on hormone replacement and also take 200 mg Test. every two weeks via a needle in the arse. My wife is a nurse so she gets to give me the shot and I think she enjoys it way to much. I started this therapy about one year ago. A little more energy but not dramatic like they said it would be. I've also suffered from depression since high school and finally started taking meds around 20 years ago for it. I've found two main benifits to the testosterone and that is an increase in my sex drive and my muscle tone got better. I never lost weight but I stopped gaining and that's a good thing.