PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop comes today need protection

scooter01
01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a new laptop coming today, and I need to decide what virus protection to go with. Currently I have three machines with Norton this is the max number if licenses that it will support. Norton really has been very good for the last three years no crashes on any of our computers. Problem is though it really eats op the resources. I will have to purchase another registration key for Norton, or choose this time to use something else.
What does the fellow forumites recommend?

xjoex
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I use symantec and it works.

ClamAV is nice, its free and is made by a real company (Sourcefire):
http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

-Joe

oliver1850
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM

edmoses
01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Assuming you have Windows 7 then the current version of Microsoft Security Essentials works well. This is light on the resource front as much of the code is running already and it uses the definition files from the Forefront range of high end (high $$$$) MS security products.

The best bit is that it is free of charge - the latest version even allows the management of a small number of machines in the home/small office environment.

I have used it for the past couple of years in various forms with no problems.

Regards,

Ed

Blue Jays
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
The latest tool from Symantec...called "Norton 360"...is easy to use, runs quietly in the background, and does a great job.

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Scooter

The 2011 version of Symantec (NORTON) is much less of a resource hog. I am using it and have no issues. ITUNES gobbles up way more resources.

Good luck....

rice rocket
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Use your brain.

I haven't run antivirus for almost 8 years now. No way I'll go back to it.

MadRocketSci
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I think macafee is worthless. Actually, it has negative worth. You start off with a little piece of mind thinking that your pc is protected. And, hopefully, if something does happen, they'll try to help you out.

Wrong.

I have a subscription to Macafee. In about six months time I've picked up two online viruses. One from googling "Time VRS Vibraser", as I was multitasking and not paying close attention to the links I was opening, 2nd from some site that was supposed to be about javascript programming.

Both viruses went right through macafee. I could google them on my wife's iphone, or my ipad, so they weren't exactly brand new unknowns. Macafee has no technical support for post-infection. Your only option is to pay $90 for a guy in india to remotely scrub your computer. If the virus profile isn't in their database, you have to pay $90 to get it removed. So I basically asked them what their motivation for having ANY virus profile in their database was, since not having it there meant $90 revenue.

Anyway, the first time I basically threatened to cancel if they didn't fix my computer. They relented. The second time I completely ignored macafee, went onto my ipad, googled the virus name (system tool 2011), and found free help at the various anti-malware forums (www.windowsbbs.com is one example). Done/easy.

Most solutions involve using Malwarebyte's Anti-malware software, which is free for scanning and removing malware. You can pay to upgrade to the real-time malware guard feature, which is what I'm going to do. Other free options that seem highly regarded are AVG, AVguard, Dr Kapersky, etc. Check those malware forums for more info and recs.

System Tool 2011 popped up in October. I got infected in December. My Macafee was up to date. LAME.

vqdriver
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
here's the thread oliver1850 is referring to
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72690&highlight=microsoft

i ended up just using the microsoft security essentials cuz it was free so i thought i'd give it a shot. i haven't "upgraded" to a third party program yet tho i know i probably will eventually.

it's so so much better on system resources than norton or mcafee and it's easy to use with a pretty streamlined interface. it has real time protection, but has some problems somewhere in the implementation. meaning it will find trojans or viruses with an actual scan and is able to deal with the infected files, but for whatever reason it failed to stop them in the first place. of course i have no way of know how many infections it prevented to begin with.

unlike some other parts of windows, the scheduled updates and scans are transparent to me and the history indicates that they're functioning as promised.

overall it's pretty good for a free program. at the very least get that on your laptop while you look for something else.

dekindy
01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
My ISP is Comcast and they offer the Norton Security Suite as a free benefit so you might check with your ISP.

mandasol
01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I've tried a lot of paid and free versions and out of all of them I really like Avast. The free version has been great so far and seems to use the least amount of resources. The controls are intuitive, and easy to change or update settings. It conflicts with my 2007 version of Quickbooks, but it's easy to disable avast while I start up quickbooks.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

AngryScientist
01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
My ISP is Comcast and they offer the Norton Security Suite as a free benefit so you might check with your ISP.

yes, cablevision uses someone too, that's what i use. its a testament to how well it works since i cant even think of the name of it. knocking on wood, virus free for many years.

veggieburger
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
If you're going to pay for virus protection, do a little research on post-purchase support. I was trying to install some software (can't recall the maker) 2 years ago and lo and behold, no telephone support! I paid $80 for a cd of antivirus software and was unable to contact the people who had taken my money.

ahumblecycler
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
1. Disable wireless capabilities.

2. Never plug a LAN line into the internet.

3. Buy Anti-Virus software such as McAfee (2010 saw dramatic improvements) or such from actual store (physical store, what is that) and install via ROM-drive (what, no download?).

4. Reboot.

5. Run full scan.

6 Connect to internet and update virus list.

7. Reboot.

8. Run second full scan.

9. Update OS.

10. Reboot.

11. Run third full scan.

12. Finish off the vino (I assumed you popped the cork before #1) and log into Serotta.

Dekonick
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
1. Disable wireless capabilities.

2. Never plug a LAN line into the internet.

3. Buy Anti-Virus software such as McAfee (2010 saw dramatic improvements) or such from actual store (physical store, what is that) and install via ROM-drive (what, no download?).

4. Reboot.

5. Run full scan.

6 Connect to internet and update virus list.

7. Reboot.

8. Run second full scan.

9. Update OS.

10. Reboot.

11. Run third full scan.

12. Finish off the vino (I assumed you popped the cork before #1) and log into Serotta.

Better yet:

Install http://www.ubuntu.com/

It IS easy, works well, and is even less prone to viruses than Apple. Linux is a great operating system... and it is FREE.

I run a dual boot configuration because there are enough idiots that require you to use windows... given a choice I would use Linux exclusively. FWIW Apple's OSX is essentially running on a linux shell.

Dekonick
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I use symantec and it works.

ClamAV is nice, its free and is made by a real company (Sourcefire):
http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

-Joe

And if you run Linux, ClamAV is usually a standad part of the distrobution... but not really necessary because of the built in security in the Linux design.

tuxbailey
01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I have been using AVG Free in all my home PCs and it works fine.

Dekonick
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM

That's what I use on my windows installs. I still prefer Linux from a safety perspective.

avalonracing
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Wait... No one has said it yet???

Mac. :D

54ny77
01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Install "Ghostery" from ghostery.com.

It speeds things up real quick like.

I'm amazed at how many websites have tracking programs associated with it. CNN.com has several of them, for example, slowing things down and watching your every move.

djg21
01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I have a new laptop coming today, and I need to decide what virus protection to go with. Currently I have three machines with Norton this is the max number if licenses that it will support. Norton really has been very good for the last three years no crashes on any of our computers. Problem is though it really eats op the resources. I will have to purchase another registration key for Norton, or choose this time to use something else.
What does the fellow forumites recommend?

I prefer ZoneAlarm from Checkpoint http://www.zonealarm.com. I use the internet security suite, which provides a software firewall and antivirus, among other things. Pick the package that suits your needs. I purchase a license for three PCs.

I will not use any Symantec products. I used to be a fan of Norton utlities, but they became bloated and did not play well with non-Symantec software. The Symantec software permeated my machine, was incredibly difficult to fully remove, and essentially was itself a big piece of spyware.

Zonealarm is much less iontrusive.

chuckroast
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Free AVG, runs a scan every day at noon. (belt)

Malwarebites once a month. (suspenders)

yngpunk
01-25-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

they're kind of technical and focus more on evaluating the virus detection engine's performance rather than the user interface, but they have a wealth of information to help you make your decision.

KevinPak
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
AVG / Malwarebytes = good stuff except just to be sure..

Hitman Pro - to get rid of all the hidden stuff. Never found so much stuff !

Wilkinson4
01-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Beat me to it. It is best to use multiple products and techniques and be smart about it. They call it security or defense in depth.

Check with your ISP to see if they have a freebe. Then augment.

I use Norton 360, and also run malwarebytes and spybot once in awhile. And don't run IE as your browser if you can help it.

Ignore #10 (Not as bloated as they once were)
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article.php/3878766/Top-10-Ways-to-Protect-Your-PC-Defense-in-Depth.htm

http://ctovision.com/2010/09/mounting-a-vigorous-defense-in-depth/

mIKE

FixedNotBroken
01-26-2011, 12:52 AM

Crap! I was just going to say that! Haha, my MacBook Pro is amazing :) enough said.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Yep, 19 posts and nobody said it but it's what I first thought of(typing on my mac-mini).

Dekonick
01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Mac = $$$$$$$$$
Ubuntu = FREE

Why not give it a try?

Dekonick
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Linux is also used by a majority of servers worldwide. If it weren't secure, why would it be used by so many MAJOR corporations and governments?

Yes, you can go for Apple... but you are essentially getting the linux experience at a premium price. Linux isn't just for geeks anymore. It has a nice interface and is simple to use (or as complicated as you want to get if you desire to use the command prompt... it grows with you)

For all of the naysayers, you can even run it from a CD or thumb drive and not install it. Not as fast this way, but it lets you give it a go and test it.

A win/win!

FWIW - I agree that you need multiple layers of protection and common sense.

avalonracing
01-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes, you can go for Apple... but you are essentially getting the linux experience at a premium price.

And the coolest hardware around. I'm typing on a unibody MacBook Pro that is cut from a single block of aluminum. Bad-ass. Aaaaannnnd the best tech support in the industry. Real human tech support from techs located in North America.

Okay, thread-jack complete. Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

rice rocket
01-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Linux is fine if you're playing on the internet. That's about it.

Dekonick
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Linux is fine if you're playing on the internet. That's about it.

Not true. Full suite of tools, programs etc. WINE emulation to run windows programs. MYTHTV for media PC functionality (with built in DVD ripping capability to store your DVD's) etc... built in bit torrent client, and all of the software is freeware. There are TON of educational programs for all levels from kids to adults. Naysayers haven't used new linux distributions or aren't giving it a fair shake. Linux akin to SRAM or SURLY. Functional, but not bling.

It may require a little work to learn and use the advanced functions, but it is fully functional. IF you insist on using windows programs, set up a dual boot.

Linux is much more stable and requires verrrrry little in the way of hardware. The only weak area is gaming and that has more to do with proprietary graphics drivers (linux is all open source) but the graphics co's are warming up to it and now develop drivers.

rice rocket
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Again, just play.

For people who actually create things and need engineering software, video editing software, etc. use Windows or Macs. Yeah, there's always some replacement free version for Linux but it's always half-assed because it's made by software engineers in their free time, and can't really be considered for actual content creation.

Dekonick
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Again, just play.

For people who actually create things and need engineering software, video editing software, etc. use Windows or Macs. Yeah, there's always some replacement free version for Linux but it's always half-assed because it's made by software engineers in their free time, and can't really be considered for actual content creation.

YOU are talking about PROFESSINAL work. How many people do you know with the full professional photoshop? Autocad? IF they do, then you are talking big bucks. For the majority of people, linux does all they need and more.

The full Ubuntu distro with Open office and the other software is PLENTY functional. And - with cloud based computing and services on the horizon, it will be all you need for home and small office needs. I think you and I are talking about totally different uses. Just like a home garage shop v.s. a machine shop - you can't compare the two.

ahumblecycler
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
News flash ... wait for it ... wait for it ... NEVER is immune to internet threats - viruses, trojans, worms, etc. In fact, if you have a smart phone better hurry up and get that virus application loaded and going!!!!

To the OP I applaud your initiative to help protect your laptop. Minus the comments about switching OS or brand altogether (people, the laptop is bought ... help the person already), any virus has positives and negatives. I prefer to install before the computer touches the internet.

Dekonick
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Again, just play.

Same for your home camera - not everyone needs a $10k camera - for most people, a $200 digicam does all they need. For average joe and what they are going to do with a laptop, or home PC there is no need for more than Ubuntu, Redhat, or whatever distro you pick. Just like Windows 7 home v.s. Professional. Or Windows NT - No Thanks.

martinrjensen
01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Actually you suggestion is not a case of wearing a belt & suspenders. Malwarebytes looks at "adware" and technically speaking adware is not a virus so a lot of antivirus programs will miss some pretty serious adware. The fact is though, that adware can have the same effect of disabling your computer as an actual virus so to the individual you might not make the distinction. I have not had any issues running Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials together on the same machine. I removed Norton as it was a terrible resource hog. Maybe their new version is better but at this point I'm not gonna tryFree AVG, runs a scan every day at noon. (belt)

Malwarebytes once a month. (suspenders)

chuckroast
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Fair enough, I appreciate the clarification.

SEABREEZE
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Any feedback on Nortons professional current version, suppose to do it all, malware, spyware, anti virus, internet security, and no more resource hog, as previous versions.

SEABREEZE
01-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Use your brain.

I haven't run antivirus for almost 8 years now. No way I'll go back to it.

If you use face book, I think you may be treading on thin ice.

Recently a good friends profile page was hyjacked. According to him, he clicked on a friends post with a link , then shortly after someone was posting as it was him from his profile page. Hard to use brain power when you beleive its your friend who is sending you a link. Also understand the same thing can happen if you except a friends request to be friends.

He to had your beliefs, he learned a lesson.

I dont think I would want to leave home and be on FB without internet security.

Your thoughts...

93legendti
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Same here

branflakes
01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
stop clicking on anything that isn't absolutely necessary. emails, links, etc. the joke your buddy sent isn't funny enough to outweigh the frustration of destroying your livelihood on the computer.

i installed an av program once in the 90's. it was painfully slow and tried to mother me way too much. i have definitely been infected by viruses here or there, but only when i knew i was doing something to put my computer at risk of such.

as for the linux debate....yeah, ubuntu makes the world easier. not prone to any ridiculous batch programs or microsoft backdoors and constantly improving. i run windows 7 in virtualbox and it runs smoother than native (doesn't make sense but it's true). now i have a 30gb virtual machine, and a backup of it just in case i go trolling for trouble in the regular windows machine.

SEABREEZE
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
stop clicking on anything that isn't absolutely necessary. emails, links, etc. the joke your buddy sent isn't funny enough to outweigh the frustration of destroying your livelihood on the computer..

If you were referring to my post, my friend didnt post anything, think you may want to reread.

I firmly agree with you about pranks destroying your livelihood on the computer.

branflakes
01-26-2011, 09:27 PM
If you were referring to my post, my friend didnt post anything, think you may want to reread.

I firmly agree with you about pranks destroying your livelihood on the computer.

i wasn't actually referring to YOUR friend sending something, but rather the global "buddy."

it's rather amazing the lengths which people seem to go through to protect themselves from....themselves.

Wilkinson4
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Here is another option for those going to questionable sites or clickin on things they deep down know they shouldn't.

Grab This (http://)

No, STOP!!! :crap: Seriously though... Check out VMWare Player. They have a Virtual Machine Player that lets you run a preconfigure OS and a Browser.

Just download the player, and then pick the browser appliance you want.

Once installed, you Computer and OS become the host and you can then startup the player and browse the net from within the guest OS.

It is basically a sandbox. If something bad happens, it stays in there.,.

Now, that doesn't prevent some of the social engineering stuff. But, you should be able to keep your PC 'safer' that way.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/507083

mIKE

rice rocket
01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
If you use face book, I think you may be treading on thin ice.

Recently a good friends profile page was hyjacked. According to him, he clicked on a friends post with a link , then shortly after someone was posting as it was him from his profile page. Hard to use brain power when you beleive its your friend who is sending you a link. Also understand the same thing can happen if you except a friends request to be friends.

He to had your beliefs, he learned a lesson.

I dont think I would want to leave home and be on FB without internet security.

Your thoughts...

Maybe he shouldn't have clicked?

Idunno, I can't tell you how I mentally filter good links from bad links, but it's usually pretty obvious. When it says "do you authorize Facebook to do X, Y, and Z, click NO". Perhaps I don't keep up enough on Facebook either so by the time I get the "bad links", the security hole has been closed or there's usually 10 other dumb people that have clicked on it and expressed their dismay.

Helps to use a good browser too.

SEABREEZE
01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is another option for those going to questionable sites or clickin on things they deep down know they shouldn't.

Grab This (http://)

No, STOP!!! :crap: Seriously though... Check out VMWare Player. They have a Virtual Machine Player that lets you run a preconfigure OS and a Browser.

Just download the player, and then pick the browser appliance you want.

Once installed, you Computer and OS become the host and you can then startup the player and browse the net from within the guest OS.

It is basically a sandbox. If something bad happens, it stays in there.,.

Now, that doesn't prevent some of the social engineering stuff. But, you should be able to keep your PC 'safer' that way.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/507083

mIKE

Cool post Wilki, thanks for the turn on.