PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some info on a builder

Jack Brunk
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I've been looking for a ultra distance stage race type Ti frame to build up light and fast. I found some info on a company by the name of Funk Cycles. Their La Ruta frame looks to be right up there with what I'm looking to build. 3 inch rear suspension, full ti in a 29er. Anyone have any feedback on these guys?

Thanks

gdw
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Daryl Funk has been around for quite awhile and has a checkered history which comes from his attempt to market forks.
http://books.google.com/books?id=bsQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=Daryl+Funk,+frame&source=bl&ots=EzQvL0iS6I&sig=LLvdiVJe4b_z5C558E_DBwcI8oQ&hl=en&ei=vfE-TezJEIOqsAPCxfH1BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCgQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=Daryl%20Funk%2C%20frame&f=false
His current company has an excellent reputation locally and the La Ruta sounds like an ideal frame for your intended use. Here's a review of the La Ruta from the MTBR 29er forum which is really positive.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=283080&highlight=%26quot%3Bdaryl+funk

jamesau
01-27-2011, 06:05 AM
I picked this frame used on ebay a few years ago. It has some very unique details particularly the carbon-wrapped oversized Ti downtube and metal-stenciled logo. The craftsmanship is first-rate as is the ride.

Funk has a loyal fan-base over at the MTBR forum, particularly with the La Ruta, so you might inquire there as well.

Also know that Daryl Funk may be hard to contact as he sometimes travels for extended periods to the 3rd world; apparently one of his passions is bringing the utility of the bicycle to underdeveloped countries. My transactions with him (to find out what I fell into) were always very positive.

Jack Brunk
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm also looking into Generic Cycles who also builds a 3-4" softail with a titianium flex plate that is really cool.

Thanks again.

uno-speedo
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Stay away from the old Funk suspension forks ;)

I have a friend who has the FS ti Funk and likes it. If you want his email just PM me.

John H.
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Jack,
I am pretty sure you already have the best out there- YBB 29er- might be able to get a little more travel out of a Castellano?
If you want more than that- back to carbon. Get an Epic 29er- many say the Epic is a game changer.

Jack Brunk
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Yep I agree on the YBB 29er. Just looking for a little extra rear give for the longest days on the saddle. I really want to stick with Ti. I really like the ride quality of Ti with the big wheels. At almost 9k, I can build a super duper Ti bike that will outlive the carbon Epic.

Uno,
I might take you up on the email offer. I'm still doing my research and NAHBS will be a fun time looking around.

Thanks

don'TreadOnMe
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Castellano/Potts SilkTI 29er.
+100

Jack Brunk
01-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Castellano/Potts SilkTI 29er.
+100
I had a 26er Silt Ti and I loved how it rode. Only thing is it's really very close to the YBB in rear travel. I'd like something in the 3-4 inch range. Black Sheeps 29er soft tail frame looks really sweet as well. I'm stoked to see that there's a pretty wide range of 29er soft tails available.

don'TreadOnMe
01-28-2011, 08:28 AM
I had a 26er Silt Ti and I loved how it rode. Only thing is it's really very close to the YBB in rear travel. I'd like something in the 3-4 inch range. Black Sheeps 29er soft tail frame looks really sweet as well. I'm stoked to see that there's a pretty wide range of 29er soft tails available.

Great to know, thanks Jack.
Always fun to see your progressions and pathways to nirvana.

Jack Brunk
01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I think my one road block might be wanting a BB30 or Press Fit 30 BB and a flex plate rear. I'm awaiting answers from a couple of builders.

rugbysecondrow
01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I think my one road block might be wanting a BB30 or Press Fit 30 BB and a flex plate rear. I'm awaiting answers from a couple of builders.

I just saw a wonderful TI MTB frame Kelly Bedford made. I would give him a call and discuss what you are looking for.

Jack Brunk
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I just saw a wonderful TI MTB frame Kelly Bedford made. I would give him a call and discuss what you are looking for.
Sweet! That's why the handmade show will be fun. HE'll be on my radar for a Ti SS 29er.

fourflys
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I picked this frame used on ebay a few years ago. It has some very unique details particularly the carbon-wrapped oversized Ti downtube and metal-stenciled logo. The craftsmanship is first-rate as is the ride.

why would you have a carbon wrapped Ti downtube, aesthetics?

just curious...

rugbysecondrow
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Sweet! That's why the handmade show will be fun. HE'll be on my radar for a Ti SS 29er.

I don't think he will be at NAHBS this year, but likely quite a few builders to talk up about your project.

Have fun with it!

Paul

Jawn P
01-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Another one to talk to is Rody Walter at Groovy Cycleworks, he's very knowledgeable and loves to talk shop about builds.