PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 and BB30 Cranks

Lovetoclimb
01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Here is my jam:

I am running a SR 11 speed crankset on a BB30 frame with the Campy press in adapters and I have a creak.

Here are solutions I have yet to try:

*Pulling adapters out, loctite/grease/other suggestions, and re-insert
*Living with the creak for another race and continuing to appear total amateur!

Ideas I would like feedback on:

1) Cannondale Hollowgram crankset compatability - both the carbon version and SL Alu version (specifically chainring and 130BCD spider issues)
- Have heard the CDale MkIV and MkV rings are no compatible with 11s
- FSA or Stronglight as alternatives?
- does the fabled 135BCD CDale spider actually exist?

2) Putting an extra wavy washer in both sides of my current SR 11 crankset to take up the "extra space" and attempt to eliminate the creak . . .

3) Sell the BB30 frame (I do adore it despite this option) and return to threaded BB shells . . .

Much appreciation for any help you all can provide. Happy Riding.

nahtnoj
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Frame?

What did you install the adapters with in the first place?

The C-Dale carbon cranks are not the great, the alu ones were handed down from God to a CNC operator in Bedford.

Is your SR crank a ti spindle?

Yes, 135 BCD spiders exist.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Here is my jam:

I am running a SR 11 speed crankset on a BB30 frame with the Campy press in adapters and I have a creak.

Here are solutions I have yet to try:

*Pulling adapters out, loctite/grease/other suggestions, and re-insert
*Living with the creak for another race and continuing to appear total amateur!

Ideas I would like feedback on:

1) Cannondale Hollowgram crankset compatability - both the carbon version and SL Alu version (specifically chainring and 130BCD spider issues)
- Have heard the CDale MkIV and MkV rings are no compatible with 11s
- FSA or Stronglight as alternatives?
- does the fabled 135BCD CDale spider actually exist?

2) Putting an extra wavy washer in both sides of my current SR 11 crankset to take up the "extra space" and attempt to eliminate the creak . . .

3) Sell the BB30 frame (I do adore it despite this option) and return to threaded BB shells . . .

Much appreciation for any help you all can provide. Happy Riding.

Take the adapters out and reinstall with lots of grease.

Lotsa grease inside the cups, around the ONE wavy washer(make sure the clip is in the RH cup).

Install cranks with grease around bearings, onto the hirth fitting and make sure the bolt is TIGHT.

10s rings are 'compatible' with 11s systems. I have a Chorus 11s with a Record 10s crank for 2 years as a demo bike and no problem whatsoever.

FSA and sram/truvativ cranks have soft, low life chainrings. The crank spider is OK but the rings are poor.

jacques_anqueti
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I have/love both.
No straight comparison in my case as FSA is on Calfee carbon and C-11 is on Ti Serotta. My 2¢

jblande
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
can stronglight ct2 chainrings be used with campy 11s?

WeakRider
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
One of my friends runs Hollowgram SI SL cranks with FSA 11-speed rings. No issues and loves the setup. If money isn't an issue, this is the setup I would go with.

Lovetoclimb
01-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I have read from 2 people that the "stock" Cdale rings from the Hollowgram crankset are not compatible with Campag 11s.

This however would seemingly point to the same answer OldPotatoe gave in that running 10s cranks/chain-rings with 11s chains is ok. My only concern here is that I have seen my teammates 11s chain on his otherwise 10s drivetrain come off almost weekly during FD shifts (up or down the chainrings ) . . .

@WeakRider - How many miles has your friend put on his FSA rings, and has he had to replace them at any point?

oldpotatoe
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I have read from 2 people that the "stock" Cdale rings from the Hollowgram crankset are not compatible with Campag 11s.

This however would seemingly point to the same answer OldPotatoe gave in that running 10s cranks/chain-rings with 11s chains is ok. My only concern here is that I have seen my teammates 11s chain on his otherwise 10s drivetrain come off almost weekly during FD shifts (up or down the chainrings ) . . .

@WeakRider - How many miles has your friend put on his FSA rings, and has he had to replace them at any point?

Needs to adjust the FD methinks...and perhaps add a chainwatcher..on all systems, not just mixed.

That .4/.5mm just doesn't make that much difference.

WeakRider
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM

He has put down around 2K miles, and the teeth still look solid (according to him).

r_mutt
01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
stronglight CT2 are Campy 11 compatible. i use a Quarq Powermeter SRAM 975 BB30 cranks with 130 BCD Stronglight CT2 rings.

Ralph
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Needs to adjust the FD methinks...and perhaps add a chainwatcher..on all systems, not just mixed.

That .4/.5mm just doesn't make that much difference.

Me think the same....and maybe put some more tension on the chain with the B screw.

Dave
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Most of my creaks have come from the chainring and crank spider mounting area. An application of spray lube usually cures the problem.

I've also had creaks that I swore were from the crank, but it was really the rear skewer that needed some tightening and lube.

The only time that I have an odd screeching noise, I just new it was my front wheel bearings that were shot, but it was really the rear Mavic cassette body that needed some lube to quiet the plastic bushing on the left end.