PDA

View Full Version : Cane Creek HS?

jmeloy
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I've got CK headsets on each of my bikes. Looking at a Cane Creek for a new build. Experiences with these?
Thanks!

GregL
01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
I have Cane Creek headsets on two MTBs, a tandem, a road bike, and a cross bike. All have worked well for many years with zero maintenance.

-Greg

pitcrew
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Get a 110 you won't regret it. Or, a 100 if you're looking for an elegant threaded 1" headset.

dave thompson
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Kings are good, so are Cane Creek 110. I use both, don't notice any difference in 'performance'. I think Cane Creek still owns the patent on threadless headsets, no?

swg
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Get a 110 you won't regret it. Or, a 100 if you're looking for an elegant threaded 1" headset.

I have the 100 Classic elegant threaded 1" headset as described by Pitcrew on my Atlanta and have been pleased.

phcollard
01-25-2011, 05:22 AM
I've had a 100 and a 110. Superb quality, at least as good as CK.

AngryScientist
01-25-2011, 06:10 AM
i'll echo the above, CC makes some good stuff, headsets are no exception.

ahumblecycler
01-25-2011, 06:15 AM
My last few builds have been Cane Creek, and hands down, I prefer them over all others. The 110 is nice, really nice, and I had a 100 on my Lynskey ... beautiful machined look. I just slapped a I-3 on my CAAD10 to lower the stack, and it is superb ... cannot tell it is the lowest end of their line.

CK is good, but I would get a CC over a CK any day of the week. I also like the interlocking spacers.

AngryScientist
01-25-2011, 06:23 AM
ritchey also makes a pretty nice headset, which i used on my last low cost build. it works as intended.

soulspinner
01-25-2011, 06:45 AM
After using Campy and FSA switched to a Cane S-8. Absolutely no issues after 5000 miles of crap roads etc. Stays in adjustment, more than I could say for the FSA pos..........note that stack height is a little lower(4mm or so ) on the Cane creek higher end headsets.

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Have ridden Cane Creeks for the past few years. Zero issues, zero to little maintenance. Good luck.

veloduffer
01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Cane Creek makes good stuff. I've used their headsets for years without problems or maintenance. I think they have the patent on threadless headsets. And for mtbing (maybe good for road too), they have a headset that gives the rider an adjustable head angle - you can slacken the angle for downhilling and move it more upright for XC. Not sure how it works in the real world but seems cool.

I also love their canti brakes - easiest to set up and stop well. Very similar to the Shimano design (straddle cable) but has tension adjustment on both sides to center the brakes more easily. And their road levers are the same form as Campy - very comfy.

acckids
01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
I chose Cane Creek S-8 over Chris King because of the aesthetics with my Alpha Q integrated carbon fork. The CK has a thick base plate that kind of messed up the aesthetics of the transition from fork to headset/headtube junction.

After 2K plus miles of chip/seal roads with winter grime, I have had no realiability issues.

mgd
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
if not, big bucks for asian made.

cmg
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
if not, big bucks for asian made.

why does that matter? probably not..........buy what works.

jmeloy
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
thanks all and (down the road) the new Peg gets a Cane Creek!

soulspinner
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
thanks all and (down the road) the new Peg gets a Cane Creek!

dont forget the pics............. :beer:

dekindy
01-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I have an S2 that came on my Fierte and transferred to my Legend. It has 14,000+ miles with zero problems.

97CSI
01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
See below.

mgd
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM

it matters greatly. it's utter bs to charge top-dollar, made-in-usa prices for crap made in china. if you go off-shore, you should be able to charge much less. chris king is chris king only as long as they maintain us manufacturing. as soon as they move production to china, shutter their us facility, and raise headset prices by 60 bucks, they are no longer anything special.

however, in the case of cane creek, they list their top headsets, 110 & 100, as made in north carolina. and that's fantastic. if it's a real quality product--and apparently it is--then it's a great chris king alternative. i hadn't noticed the mention of us production on those at first, but it's there, so good for them.

dave thompson
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
it matters greatly. it's utter bs to charge top-dollar, made-in-usa prices for crap made in china. if you go off-shore, you should be able to charge much less. chris king is chris king only as long as they maintain us manufacturing. as soon as they move production to china, shutter their us facility, and raise headset prices by 60 bucks, they are no longer anything special.

however, in the case of cane creek, they list their top headsets, 110 & 100, as made in north carolina. and that's fantastic. if it's a real quality product--and apparently it is--then it's a great chris king alternative. i hadn't noticed the mention of us production on those at first, but it's there, so good for them.
Crap is crap, regardless where it's made, as well as good is good from the same sources too. To categorize something from someplace other than the U.S. as not being good is very sort-sighted and not always correct. Maybe you're too young to remember the 'Made in Japan' feelings of not terribly long ago.

mgd
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Crap is crap, regardless where it's made, as well as good is good from the same sources too. To categorize something from someplace other than the U.S. as not being good is very sort-sighted. Maybe you're too young to remember the 'Made in Japan' feelings of not terribly long ago.

absolute top-quality $150 headsets from a us plant make (some) sense.

pretty-good-considering-quality-but-not-as-good-as-the-ones-we-used-to-make-in-portland $150 headsets make no sense, and there is no way in holy hell i'd ever buy one. atmo.

i didn't categorize something as crap because it was made off-shore. i categorized it as crap if it was more expensive than a chris king product and made in a chinese prison. if you buy from a chinese prison, you should expect to get a pretty good deal and not have to pay top-dollar.

mgd
01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
i have a basic cc aheadset on my curtlo fixed gear. it was made off-shore; it was like $35; it's silver; it's been great. i'd get one again in a second. i wouldn't pay 160 bucks for it.

vqdriver
01-25-2011, 06:34 PM
the original ritchey headset that came on my 94-ish stumpjumper is a corroded and pitted mess. but you know what? i can still turn the bike.

Sheldon4209
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a Cane Creek C 1 headset on a tandem and it is great. Installed in '04 and has 22 - 23 K on the headset. Excellent for a tandem.

thegunner
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
i didn't categorize something as crap because it was made off-shore. i categorized it as crap if it was more expensive than a chris king product and made in a chinese prison. if you buy from a chinese prison, you should expect to get a pretty good deal and not have to pay top-dollar.

because everything manufactured in china is done in a prison. fact. :rolleyes:

Monthly Payment
01-26-2011, 08:44 AM

It matters because I'm trying to vote with my dollars. I don't blame the Chinese for currency manipulation, patent/trademark infringement, or questionable labor practices. Its ultimately the American consumer who has to decide what products and what practices to support. As an aside to already thread drifting, the people complaining about the Chinese government delegation that came last week to Washington reminded me of the fast food lawsuits. Similar complaints of "Its their fault for giving us something too appealing, too tasty, and too cheap." I don't blame McDonald's either for giving consumers tasty chicken nuggets. I blame me for feeding my nephew McNuggets and Thomas the Tank episodes to coax him to do things.

I do my best to think about where something was made in addition to all the other stuff (the looks, cost, marketing BS, supposed reliability, reviews, etc.) I try to keep my dollars in the US circulating within the US supporting US manufacturing and bike jobs. If two products are equal and the US product is within 20% of price, it gives the US made item equal footing to me.

I don't own any CK headsets. I think I got cheap FSAs in most of my bikes. When the Cane Creek on my commuter was shot, my guy at the shop put in a VP Components headset. Works great. I too have never thought there was that much, if any, difference between headsets. The only bike I had issues with is my commuter bike I lock up outside year round and I bought very used.

In short, it matters to some of us to think where something was made.

cp43
01-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Kings are good, so are Cane Creek 110. I use both, don't notice any difference in 'performance'. I think Cane Creek still owns the patent on threadless headsets, no?

Agreed on the quality of both headsets, I also use both with no issues.

I think the Cane Creek patent recently expired though. That's what allowed King to move away from the o-ring steerer retention system.

Chris

cmg
01-26-2011, 09:29 AM
"It matters because I'm trying to vote with my dollars. " i don't vote with my dollars. if i did i wouldn't buy from off shore vendors either or non-tax paying entities. since i don't make a difference between the vendor, i shouldn't with the manufacturer. Sorry for the thread drift.

EricEstlund
01-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not going to jump into the political end of this discussion, but on a purely object based level the CC 110 and 100 HS are very, very well made.

southernexposur
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Cane creek 110 had no match until the split wedge ring patent ran out and CK could modify their headset to use that technology. GO with a 110 if you want the top quality headset.

Andrew

v531xc
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
fwiw, the Cane Creek 110 and 100 series headsets are CNC'd in North Carolina, but from when I spoke with some employees at Interbike, the bearings still come from the same factory off shores.
I'm not 100% sure about Chris King but I think the company sources US bearings.

I own both CK and CC headsets and like both. The next one I get depends mostly on the deal, although I like the aesthetics of the CK a little more.