PDA

View Full Version : need a silent rear hub....

jerk
05-17-2005, 12:04 PM
for this nutjob www.lucasbrunelle.com
he films and needs a silent clutch 130mm road hub....any suggestions?
jerk

Too Tall
05-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Close. You'll have to dork around with it. Call Dave at Nimble and talk him out of a tube of his one off high grade silicone grease some pal of his in aerospace makes and use it in a King Hub. My experience is that when the lube is fairly fresh eg. has not moved out of the pawl valleys it's nearly silent.

Dave claims the super silicon uber-grease is better than ring drive lube. For what it's worth, I've tried silicone lube on a plain Phil and that's very quiet...but silent? No. Anyone have experience with internal hubs? Clutch drive?

ada@prorider.or
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
i would take a hub with a belt then
with variable pitch

Ozz
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
the tire/road noise is louder than my 240s.....

Jeff N.
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Anything but Chris King. They sound like a Stuka dive bomber. Jeff N.

Too Tall
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Know what? Jeff is right, I was thinking of my tandem's Hugi's and said King...we have both. Yeah, the Hugi's are very quiet esp. with fresh lube.

PaulE
05-17-2005, 02:46 PM
My Ultegra hub with 4,700 miles on it is silent. The pawls still ratchet fine, but it's quiet when coasting.

Fixed
05-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the link. :cool:

shinomaster
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I just squirted extra grease in my Record hub...no more noise..

Tony Edwards
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
My old 8-speed Campy freehub is virtually silent, thanks to a mechanic who was overenthusiastic with Phil grease (I work on my own bikes, but have an irrational fear of Campy freehubs, after having mine launch its pawls and pawl springs all over the room the first time I took it apart, incorrectly assuming it worked like a Shimano!).

jerk
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
nope, tried packing relativly silent hubs with grease...still too loud. the jerk needs to find a cop-hub with no pawl system. cees has the right idea....this guy needs to be completely silent when he's slamming through pedestrians...if they know he's there they behave irratically and in unpredictable manners and he crashes into them....check out the videos. he's a nutjob...but he's the jerk's nutjob and the jerk needs to help him out.

jerk

ada@prorider.or
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
nope, tried packing relativly silent hubs with grease...still too loud. the jerk needs to find a cop-hub with no pawl system. cees has the right idea....this guy needs to be completely silent when he's slamming through pedestrians...if they know he's there they behave irratically and in unpredictable manners and he crashes into them....check out the videos. he's a nutjob...but he's the jerk's nutjob and the jerk needs to help him out.

jerk

well i have a another idea
its callled clamping is has no pawls in the form you think
made one years ago
meaby i come with it some day
when i go in my rich years
it has imidiate clamping not let say 36 degree before
aply force transfer that the industry have now
would great for spinters too

pale scotsman
05-17-2005, 07:18 PM
..., but have an irrational fear of Campy freehubs, after having mine launch its pawls and pawl springs all over the room the first time I took it apart, incorrectly assuming it worked like a Shimano!).

Oh yeah, been there done that about 4 beers into an overhaul. You should have seen me crawling around the kitchen floor at 11pm, wrenches falling out of my pockets, looking for those damn springs! :beer:

scrooge
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Come on... is nobody going to comment on the videos? "Nutjob" is right. Personally, I think there may be a clue to the Jerk's secret identity here. Hmmm.

ClutchCargo
05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
c'mon. just get some Kings and love the buzz 1 :banana:

ClutchCargo
05-17-2005, 08:30 PM
c'mon. just get some Kings and love the buzz !! :banana:

Kirk Pacenti
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Jerk,

See if you can find an old Machine Tech rear hub. They did not have a ratcheting pawl system, but rather, a worm drive that engaged in less than a quarter turn and totally disengaged when costing for a completely silent ride.

Good luck!

TRY THIS: http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_machine.html

GoJavs
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Come on... is nobody going to comment on the videos? "Nutjob" is right. Personally, I think there may be a clue to the Jerk's secret identity here. Hmmm.

Saw about 4 of them. Oh, My!

Ken Robb
05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Ultegra,105, Dura Ace are all below my hearing threshold as are my Nuovo Record. My 10 spd Chorus are quite loud--good for clearing a path on the boardwalk. I also have Spinergy SR3 wheels for Campy 10-spd and they are quiet too.

terry
05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
man that messenger race is awesome-those guys really know how to handle a bike. thanks for the link-can't stop watching it.

cs124
05-18-2005, 01:02 AM
http://www.gravity-zero.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=27
site doesn't mention it but these hubs run silent.

or

old style coaster hub with back pedal brake, they're pretty quiet

or

fixee

Too Tall
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Senor' come on!!! His freakin' tyres are louder than a fresh Hugi and I'll bet beer on that. You need to try my suggestion using David's goofy silicone grease. This is way quieter than all the noise associate with a bicycle traveling at 20+ mph.

Jerk's identity? Aww come on, his parole ossifer would not like that to come out.

Here is a clue, this is a court artist's rendering of the Jerk just prior to his latest run in with da' law:

cdmc
05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Close. You'll have to dork around with it. Call Dave at Nimble and talk him out of a tube of his one off high grade silicone grease some pal of his in aerospace makes and use it in a King Hub. My experience is that when the lube is fairly fresh eg. has not moved out of the pawl valleys it's nearly silent.

Can anyone provide me with some info about how to reach Dave? I have a set of Kings on a road bike I bought used and the noise is driving me nuts. Does his grease make them quite all the time or only for a couple of revolutions?

Thanks

Kevan
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
ish

Ultegra

I've heard adding heavy motor oil to the innerds of some hubs (Campy) puts the "SHHH!!' to all that racket.

saab2000
05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I pump the cassette body and oil hole full of grease on my Record hubs and they are virtually silent. I cannot imagine that anyone would hear them coming. The chain drive is louder than the hubs on my bikes.

e-RICHIE
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
it should be noted that lucas was quite a
good racer back in the late 80s era...

DLA
05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Shimano made a "silent clutch" hub a few years back that was pretty quiet. I believe it was an LX level mtb that used rollers and cams instead of pawls and springs.

Too Tall
05-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Don't ask Dave for the Silicone grease unless you have a special need eg. hairball video project. Chris King "ring drive" lube is a close approximation and yes it will only remain "that" quiet for 100 miles or so.

cdmc
05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I'll take 100 miles of silence. How do I reach Dave to beg, borrow or steal some of his grease? Does anyone know if I could use some other light grease (Manitou Prep M) to quiet the hub down? It drives me nuts!!!!.

Thanks

Rapid Tourist
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
my velomax circuit hubs are silent.

jerk
05-18-2005, 08:47 PM
lucas is still fast. but now he only rides his bike in the city and only competes in messenger races because the prize money is bigger.
jerk

e-RICHIE
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
lucas is still fast. but now he only rides his bike in the city and only competes in messenger races because the prize money is bigger.
jerk

thanks.
i enjoyed that chat.
xoxoxoxoxos...
e-RICHIE

jerk
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
second favorite lucas brunelle story.....
lucas has a broken leg, not a minor broken leg mind you, but one of the horrible nasty type that require a full length cast prohibiting any movement. lucas needs the jerk to go with him to chelsea and pick up a generator. the reasons for this are shady, irrelevent and probably illegal so the jerk will move on. in any case, brunelle shows up 10 minutes before 6. the place is supposed to close at six and lucas and the jerk are at least half an hour away. the jerk figures they'll take his car because lucas has a broken leg, the jerk's car is of the fast european persuasion, and well, it seemed the right thing to do considering.

"no man, no way man....we'll take my car." lucas says

"you drove here? how?"

"man, you know. i improvise. come on. we're running late".

so the jerk steps outside to see a 1985 crown vic police cruiser; running making a hell of a racket with the wig wag lights running and the driver side spot blinding the entire street. the jerk hops in and brunelle throws his broken right leg across the the bench seat and over both of the jerk's legs as it's really the only way his 6'3 inch 140 pound soaking wet frame is going to fit into the car. brunelle peels out, driving the thing left footed. he hit 120mph on storrow drive with the wig wags and the spot light on....traffic just pulled over for him assuming he was a cop and not a deranged crippled ex-bicycle racer on a mission to score a generator. needless to say lucas and the jerk arrived in time to get the thing.

jerk

Too Tall
05-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Baaawwwww hahahahahahaha RONTFLMAO AND PMP.

I'm always appreciative of a world class 'tude.

Ginger
05-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Jerk,
I can't help with the silent hub, but thanks for the link!
Ginger

Kevan
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
bean town style.