PDA

View Full Version : Big decision

sheath
01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I am 59 years old in good condition and love to ride. I am having a very difficult time deciding whether to buy a used 2008 Fierte or buying a new Ottro ready custom. The price is double. Anyone have suggestions.

JMerring
01-24-2011, 10:06 AM
my experience - i have a concours with carbon seatstays. i absolutely love it but if i were to have a do-over i'd change 2 things: first, all ti; second, level top tube. sorry to muddy the waters but my vote would therefore be for a legend given today's lineup.

johnmdesigner
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I wanted the Ottrott. I balked at the price. I bought something cheaper. 2 years later I bought the Ottrott. :crap:
Now that I'm poor I'm glad I did it.
If your bills are paid and you are serious about riding I say go for it.

Dan Le foot
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
If you don't really need custom, (few of us really do) I would buy a nice high end frameset for less than half the price of new. You just need to be patient to get what you want in the size that works for you.
When you want to try something new you can generally sell it for close to what you paid for it.
If money is no object go for the new and get the paint job you want.
Just MO.
Good luck.
Dan

tv_vt
01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
You don't say which Fierte you're looking at - is it steel, all ti, or carbon-ti? If ti or carbon-ti, and the fits is good for you, that might be a good way to go if cost is a big issue for you.

T

dave thompson
01-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I am 59 years old in good condition and love to ride. I am having a very difficult time deciding whether to buy a used 2008 Fierte or buying a new Ottro ready custom. The price is double. Anyone have suggestions.
I'm 69 (!) and of the opinion that because you've worked long and hard to be where you are today, you should buy the very best that you an afford. I've had a Fierte and I've had an Ottrott (or 3) and I think you deserve the Ottrott. Literally. While the Fierte is a very fine bike, if you buy it you'll continuously have that little niggling thought in the back of your head; "This Fierte is good, I wonder what the Ottrott would be like". A year or two down the road, you'll have a real jones to upgrade yourself and when you finally get the Ottrott you'll be kicking yourself from here to Friday wonder why the h3ll you didn't do this originally. Do it, do it now. Save yourself the angst.

My 2 pesos.

Dave B
01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm 69 (!) and of the opinion that because you've worked long and hard to be where you are today, you should buy the very best that you an afford. I've had a Fierte and I've had an Ottrott (or 3) and I think you deserve the Ottrott. Literally. While the Fierte is a very fine bike, if you buy it you'll continuously have that little niggling thought in the back of your head; "This Fierte is good, I wonder what the Ottrott would be like". A year or two down the road, you'll have a real jones to upgrade yourself and when you finally get the Ottrott you'll be kicking yourself from here to Friday wonder why the h3ll you didn't do this originally. Do it, do it now. Save yourself the angst.

My 2 pesos.

I actually think this is good advice. Yeah it is pricey, but if you have the means then enjoy the process. Make it special and connect to the journey, I think it will make for a fun experience.

thwart
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Man, Dave is old... :D

Anyway, I'm a big believer in used bikes.

That said, if I wasn't a part-time and under-skilled amateur bike mechanic I'd go for the new bike, primarily for the support offered by your local bike shop. Worth it's weight in gold.

oldpotatoe
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Yep, ride both. Buy the one that 'sings' to you.

If neither do, look at Moots and Waterford.

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2011, 10:52 AM

If you love riding, then buy the bike that best suits your needs and budget. I can't say if one of these is the right answer, but weigh where, how, when you like to ride and then make a decision. Also, if you are going custom, think about couplers for travel as well as easy transport.

Both would be fun bikes but one might suits your needs and style better than the other.

Have fun!

dave thompson
01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Man, Dave is old... :D

Yeah, so? :) I've found that in large part, age is a state of mind. I'm still planning our 3-week Italian cycling trip for next year. :banana:

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
If you can afford the custom Ottrot, why not?

Honestly, none of us really "need" anything beyond a Caad10 frame with 105 and some box section rims. The bike, for a great many of us, is never the limiting factor.

That said, if you've got the ability to buy both and your other financial concerns in order, then by all means do it.

You can't take it with you when you go, so might as well enjoy it while you're around.

Mikej
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Custom bike = money well spent. The more you like your bike the more you ride it. And for health sake, it maybe cheaper to be in shape on a 9k bike than on a gurney...

thendenjeck
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, so? :) I've found that in large part, age is a state of mind. I'm still planning our 3-week Italian cycling trip for next year. :banana:

just watched Everest: Beyond the Limit season 2, in which a 71 yr old japanese dude climbs mount everest. totally bananas.

mpetry
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I think I'd vote for the Ottrott. I've ridden them all - Cinelli, Hetchins, Masi, and a bunch of others including 3 other Serottas. The Ott is the best bike I've ever ridden, it is very responsive without being twitchy, it's stiff but not harsh...

I ride my other bikes but on good days the Ottrott gets pulled off the rack. Mine is a level top tube, hardtail, and 1" steerer. Would I get a new (2010) one? Maybe. Would it be noticeably better ? Don't know.

Get yourself fitted and then properly set up and adjusted when your bike arrives. Don't go over the top on crazy light equipment for a while.

So that's my vote, assuming the price difference is doable for you.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

veloduffer
01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I own a Fierte (all carbon) and Ottrott (carbon top and down tubes, ti seat tube & stays & chainstays) and really enjoy both - I don't find one better than the other for my riding (fast training about 50 miles or less and, have not raced in years). If I sold the Ottrott, I would be perfectly content with the Fierte.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Fierte and use the money for another type of bike like a cyclocross or mountain bike.

Pete Serotta
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Dave completely correct in my view here. I just let someone try my Ottrott yesterday and now he is sold on it.

THe one that fits you the best and puts the biggest smile on your face when seeing it or riding it is the one for you.

Most think CUSTOM is the size and length of tubes,,,,Serotta custom is this plus the ability to tune the tubes to give you the type ride you want. Is it worth it,,,,,to me yes but many make wonderful frames also and most are cheaper.

The Ottrott has the ability for more customization because all aspects for ti, carbon, and forks are done internally. DO all need this to be a better rider - no for conditioning and fit give folks the fastest ride, But the most comfortable ride is the extra customization.

At 59 and your budget can absorb it - - go for the SEROTTA OTTROTT or even a MOOT or Ericksen for ti (Yeah what makes you happy - -I also like the Legend ti but then most folks figured I would say that )

Feel free to send me an email and also feel free to ask questions. Folks here (me included can tell you about wonderful shop if we know what cities work best for you.

PETE

My 2 pesos.

pmac
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
If I love to ride means you've been riding for at least a few years, then I'd definitely get the Ottrott. If it means that you've started riding recently and love it, then what you want in a bike may change a bit over the next couple of years. In that case I'd get the cheaper bike now and really splurge on the next one. Or, if money isn't limiting, then go to town both now and later.

jlwdm
01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I ordered a my custom Serotta within two months of turning 60 in 2007. I was fortunate to have Paraic working at my LBS in his last year before he went to work for Serotta.

He wanted me to get the Ottrott but I bought the Nove, one step down with carbon and ti. I had been an off and on cyclist all of my life. Ride six months and take years off; ride a number of summers in a row but not a ton of miles. One one-day STP and one two week bike tour to the TDF.

I did not know where to buy components or much about fit at the time and that was probably good. I figured this was the last bike I would ever buy and got what I wanted - Record components and custom paint. Little did I know that by joining the forum I would end up with 3 road bicycles.

The Nove changed my cycling life. I have averaged over 5,000 miles a year the last three and one-half years and broke 6,000 miles this year. It was great to finally have a bike that fit but I think it is also great to have a bike that you went through the custom process to have made just for you.

Get the Ottrott.

Jeff

sg8357
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'd really want to ride them on couple of familiar rides, routes that you have ridden dozens to hundreds of times on a familiar bike.
Do the fitting then find a demo.

Try an all ti bike, try a Mevici.
The great thing about Serotta is that they encourage the dealers to lend out bikes, use it.

Remember what Reagan said, "Trust but, test ride"

fiamme red
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Remember what Reagan said, "Trust but, test ride"Hmmm... Jane Wyman appears in this photo to be saying, "Enough of this test ride, I'm hailing a cab." ;)

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/PEN3251.html

97CSI
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
As an Ottrott owner I'll recommend the Ottrott. Have you called around to Serotta's larger dealers? They may make you a deal on a leftover Ottrott in your size. I found several, but I'm a horizontal toptube person, so none would work for me. If you're OK with a sloping toptube and don't need a very small or very large frameset, you'll likely be good.

tv_vt
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
So the Fierte you're looking at is the IT version. I have one - it's a great bike. Either of these will be a fine investment and serve you well. The very bottom line is if the fit is perfect. At your age, that's the goal. With Serotta, you can be sure the other important factors, like ride feel and quality, will be totally great.

Thom

rwsaunders
01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
If Heff were buying another blonde, er I mean bike, he'd call Dave Thompson for advice. :cool: