PDA

View Full Version : Free The Grapes.

BumpyintheBurgh
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
:beer: Good news for anyone planning a wine country bike tour.
The Supreme Court finally got one right yesterday when they overturned laws in New York and Michigan that make it a crime to buy directly from vineyards in other states. The ruling actually prohibits discrimination between in-state and out-of-state wineries, so a state that permits wineries within it borders to ship wine, must also permit out of state winery shipments. So hopefully the next time you are biking in Napa Valley you'll be able to get that case of wine shipped directly to your front door.
Now if we could only get rid of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

dave thompson
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Or one could take a tour of the Washington wine country and stop off at the many wineries that the region is internationally famous for, including a winery that I have a small interest in. (http://www.silverlakewinery.com/zillah.htm)

zap
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
We'll see how well this will work. States are already working legislators so that they can continue to restrict trade.

Here in Montgomery County, MD, there is a very profitable social program that seriously restricts trade of alcohol. I don't see this recent Supreme Court ruling changing anything here.

sc53
05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I had some of the best white wines I have ever tasted while staying in Ashland Oregon for a legal course a few years ago. I was on foot and in the car, not on my bike, but I visited quite a few local vineyards and was amazed at the quality of the wine--pinot blanc and pinot gris and others. But no one could ship me a case home to Virginia! Now maybe that will change. :D

BumpyintheBurgh
05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Dave,
Didn't mean to ignore Washington, I love Washington wines. Touring the Washington wine country sounds great, probably a lot less traffic to worry about than in Napa and I know that you'll get better value and more reasonably priced wines than the California Cabs. Thanks for mentioning Silver Lake, checked out their website, can I buy a case direct from the winery? If I mention your name, do I get a discount?

dave thompson
05-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Dave,....Thanks for mentioning Silver Lake, checked out their website, can I buy a case direct from the winery? If I mention your name, do I get a discount?
You can order directly from the winery (https://secure.netos.com/washingtonwine/order.htm) however your state isn't listed as one of the "approved" states. I don't know how the Supreme Court decision will work, but you might contact the winery and ask (http://www.silverlakewinery.com/staffemail.htm)

(There is an additonal 25% upcharge if you use my name)

djg
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
We'll see how well this will work. States are already working legislators so that they can continue to restrict trade.

Here in Montgomery County, MD, there is a very profitable social program that seriously restricts trade of alcohol. I don't see this recent Supreme Court ruling changing anything here.

lacks anything anyone might want, or that folks ought to transport their own wine across jurisdictional boundaries unaware of relevant restraints, I imagine that some residents of Montgomery County may make use of the proximity of other counties, districts, states, or what have you, and offices, relatives, or friends therein.

zap
05-17-2005, 11:09 AM
There are plenty of wines from small vintners that are not available at LWS. Internet sales is an excellent, cost effective means for small vintners to attract consumers.

We tried to purchase a case of wine (not available locally) from a small vintner in California. I no longer recall all the details, but try as we might, we couldn't get the goods shipped to us or anywhere near us.

Regarding cross border transgressions, some Montgomery Co. citizens are quite aware of cross border transportation restraints. I find it somewhat ammusing, but county police are known to periodically "scope" county citizens purchasing wine, liquor & beer at stores just over the border (within sight from the county line) in DC. Those unaware of the law then get a nice surprise once they re-enter the county and have the pleasure of handing over the "illicit" goods. I don't know if fines were ever dooled out.

fiddlels
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
It's about time! Someone needs to abolish the Pennsyvania State Store system. I could not live in a state with such a poor wine selection. I like my wine and I am ready to ship it to my house! I love it all - California, Washington, as long as it's red.

Former Pennsylvanian

William
05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
It's about time! Someone needs to abolish the Pennsyvania State Store system. I could not live in a state with such a poor wine selection. I like my wine and I am ready to ship it to my house! I love it all - California, Washington, as long as it's red.

Former Pennsylvanian

Don't forget Orygun ;) , they have some very highly reguarded vino produced there.

William :beer:

BumpyintheBurgh
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Don't forget Orygun ;) , they have some very highly reguarded vino produced there.

William :beer:

The best Pinot Noir.

flydhest
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
did somebody say Adelsheim?

Ozz
05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
did somebody say Adelsheim?
Eyrie....not that there is anything wrong with Adesheim! ;)

BumpyintheBurgh
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Eyrie....not that there is anything wrong with Adesheim! ;)

Check out Chehalem....superb