PDA

View Full Version : OT - TracFone

97CSI
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone using the TracFone prepaid cell phone service? Is so, what do you think? Thanks.

rePhil
01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I rarely use a cell phone these days and use mine sparingly. I just renewed 400 minutes and a years service for $99. It works for me.

Louis
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
I think my sister has had one for quite a while and is pretty happy with it.

cmg
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM
current user. I'm running around $30 a month in minutes cost. Could probably go to actual phone service and save a nickle. rudimentry functions, i'm not really good at texting and that's a pain. i don't want to become mobile phone savy. i only carry the phone when i'm at home, off work. it doesn't take photos, have games, no twitter, facebook, myspace or apps. if someone wants to get a hold of me and i have it with me and it's on, it rings, i answer it. If you intend to get a mobile phone and plan on keeping it get a phone service and join the multitude, i can't make the conmitment. A really do everything phone service will run around $69+ a month, $800+ yearly, too much.

john903
01-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Basically the same answer as CMG. About $20.00 for 60min every three months works great for me. I don't want or need all the other things I just want to make a call and receive calls. So it works great if you want the basics. I guess iam just a basic kinda low tech guy, but I do sure like the Serotta Forum.
john

bike22
01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
here are some other prepaid options to look into: virgin mobile , t-mobile

Johnny P
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm also very satisfied with my tracfone. I don't use it often. It's more for emergencies. A very inexpensive option if you don't have need a large amount of minutes.

Kingfisher
01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
my wife and i have them...don't use cellphones too much, so they fit the bill, only issue thus far is no service in canada, which is a pain because we have a cottage in nova scotia, but small price to pay for such a low cost service.

staggerwing
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Been using the t-mobile prepaid for several years. A hundred dollars buys you a year of service and 1000 minutes. Perfectly acceptable for basic phone service. Never had a single issue or surprise. You can buy a very basic Nokia "soap bar" phone, with a 30 minute card, for $30, if you just want to give it a try.

However, do double check coverage before buying. I know for a fact that coverage for the t-mobile prepaid is far less extensive than for standard monthly contract service. Still works fine for my application, but may not for yours.

jaykosta
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm satisfied with my Tracfone - I have it in the car for emergency & occasional use.
Cheap to purchase & $20 for 3 month - 60 minutes (which keep accumulating). Buying a year's service would be less expensive if you were confident that the phone would last....

My local "Dollar General" has (had?) a deal to buy a Tracfone for $10 & it got lifetime 2X minutes.

A possible concern is to check the 'coverage map' for the area where you'll use the phone.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

maxdog
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
As stated repeatedly above, it depends on your desired use. For us, it works quite well. Gets equal or better reception than Verizon in our neck of the woods.

97CSI
01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
OK....... sounds right for my use. Ordered the phone ($19.99 on special with an accessories kit and 200min/90 day). Once it gets here I'll switch over my phone number and get it activated. ~$120/year vs ~$450/yr is a great advantage. More money for bicycle stuff. Thanks for all the replies.