PDA

View Full Version : Do you recognize anything in this picture?

Louis
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
This is from the label of a NOS Cinelli bar tape blister pack I've had for a while.

I'm not good at recognizing racers, but I have heard about the "Serotta Huffys" used by 7-11. Might this have been one of them? Pink jersey suggests the Giro, but I'm not sure who the rider is.

robin3mj
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Hampsten

Dave Wages
01-23-2011, 02:10 PM
That happens to be the only American to ever win the Giro, Andy Hampsten. As for the bike, it might have been a Serotta, but could very well have been a Landshark, I know he built some of Hampsten's personal bikes.

Cheers,
Dave

rydesteel
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Andy Hampsten, Huffy by Landshark. I gave Douglas a roll of that for the Hello Kitty bike but it was still in the package on the wall last time I was out there. You still getting hammered with snow? I think you had more on the ground than we did for a while.

Frank

Louis
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Andy Hampsten, Huffy by Landshark. I gave Douglas a roll of that for the Hello Kitty bike but it was still in the package on the wall last time I was out there. You still getting hammered with snow? I think you had more on the ground than we did for a while.

Hi Frank,

I figured it might be Hampsten, but I don't know him well enough to recognize him. Thanks. I've had the tape itself sitting on the shelf for a while and have been meaning to use it for my daily driver, but it takes only 10 seconds to add more electrical tape to patch the current stuff...

I had 7" on the ground from the Wednesday night snow and we got another half inch or so earlier today. It usually doesn't last too long around here, but based on the forecast I'd say we'll have it until the end of the week. At least the lows are now out of the single digits.

Stay warm.

Louis

FlashUNC
01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Good Lord Oakley used to make some goggles.

Blue Jays
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Oakley Eyeshades truly did keep uncomfortable sun and wind out of Andy Hampsten's eyes.

Ken Robb
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
are the bars strange?

Louis
01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
are the bars strange?

To me those look like "regular" bars that have been cut in the middle of the drops then flipped upside down.

FlashUNC
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Oakley Eyeshades truly did keep uncomfortable sun and wind out of Andy Hampsten's eyes.

Once Oakley stopped trying to manufacture auto windshields in vain, they found their true calling in sunglasses.

LegendRider
01-23-2011, 05:01 PM
The latest issue of Peloton magazine (Eddy on the cover) has a back page feature on Eric Heiden's 7 Eleven Murray. The article stated that "the team was sponsored by Murray and later Huffy, but those frames - actually built by Serotta - did not work for a few of the riders and Heiden asked Tom Ritchey for a custom frame to better suit his needs."

Of course, I was aware that Serotta was the primary builder of the team bikes. And, I knew about Hampsten's Landshark, but the Ritchey frames are news to me. Any insight from Mr. Kirk or Mr. Wages?

jeo99
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Good Lord Oakley used to make some goggles.

Such a kid!

:beer:

jeo99
01-23-2011, 05:56 PM
are the bars strange?

They are called "bull horns" used for time trials "in the Day".

FlashUNC
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Such a kid!

More just a reminder whenever I see these photos how huge that Briko/Smith/Oakley eyewear was in the 80's/early 90's.

I've got a pair of Smiths I picked up at a swap meet that must cover half my face.

jeo99
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Actually, we do use goggles here in the frosty and snowy North. Road 28 miles today with my Oakley goggles. Keeps the eyes from drying out. It is now below zero for the third day in a row!

happycampyer
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
John Slawta built Andy Hampsten's primary road bike that he rode in the Giro, but his back-up road bike was built by Serotta:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=2783726

This is a time trial bike, so there's a good chance that it was built by Serotta as well.

miguel
01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
those oakleys are called factory pilots. in some of the amateur races they are still worn.

i prefer frogskins fwiw