PDA

View Full Version : IPAD Forum Readers - Enable Serotta?

Wilkinson4
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I was poking around the app store and wondering if there was a forum reader app for vbulletin. It looks like Forum Runner has some promise.

Since apps are making the www obsolete is there any chance that this forum will be enabled for use with a forum reader? Tapatalk as well.

mIKE

97CSI
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
??? Not sure what you are asking. Am posting this from my wife's iPad and simply get to the forum through google.

Wilkinson4
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
An app...

Instead of using a web browser like safari, chrome, explorer you can just launch the app and access the forum directly from your ipad or iphone.

It would require a plug-in to be installed on the server where the forum is hosted.

mIKE

mike p
01-23-2011, 12:17 PM
As opposed to just bookmarking it or putting it in your favorites?

Mike

An app...

Instead of using a web browser like safari, chrome, explorer you can just launch the app and access the forum directly from your ipad or iphone.

It would require a plug-in to be installed on the server where the forum is hosted.

mIKE

dave thompson
01-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I've put the Serotta forum in my bookmarks; touch the Safari icon, then the bookmarks, then Serotta and I'm here!

Wilkinson4
01-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Tough crowd! I guess it is just the geek in me thinking it would be cool to have a Serotta Forum Branded App on the IPAD.

mIKE

mike p
01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey I'm easy, if they had it I'd use it! :banana:

Mike

Tough crowd! I guess it is just the geek in me thinking it would be cool to have a Serotta Forum Branded App on the IPAD.

mIKE

woolly
01-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Tapatalk is cool, and makes reading forums such as this on a smartphone much easier (don't know about an iPad, don't have one). Yes, it's entirely possible to just use a browser such as Safari, but I find that a forum app such as this makes it faster/easier/better.

Is it possible to activate Tapatalk for the Serotta forum?

Pete Serotta
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
It would take more time and maybe some additional cost and I truly do not see an "ease of use" nor performance advantage to adding it. Sorry

PETE

mIKE

Wilkinson4
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Pete... Could be cool but you are right, there is a typically a fee associated with it on the server side as well as the client.

mIKE

woolly
01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I do believe Tapatalk is free, but I certainly understand the "time" thing.

Wilkinson4
01-23-2011, 06:31 PM
You're right, but the time to admin and another piece that could fail is always a concern. App costs about $2.99...

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

mIKE

ericspin
01-23-2011, 06:33 PM
One of my SUP forums uses Tapatalk and it is extremely cool. The BEST thing is that I can take a pic with my iPhone (Droid also from what I understand) and directly attach it to a post. No resizing, no hassle, no BS. Or if I have started a post or reply and realize I would like to add a photo I can do that mid-stream. That forum is also administered by a pretty forward thinking braddah. It is the shiite.

lukeheller
12-14-2012, 10:43 PM
What about touchBB? It's a free app and they make it sound super easy to add to the forum server. Just gotta download the file And put it in the right place

I would love an easy to use app for the forum. For efficiency, it would be a lot easier than using safari or another browser

pdmtong
12-15-2012, 12:07 AM
It would take more time and maybe some additional cost and I truly do not see an "ease of use" nor performance advantage to adding it. Sorry

PETE

pete....you are outdated here. forum runner makes viewing a forum MUCH easier on a mobile device versus traditonal acess using a browser.

vsalon using forum runner on my phone much preferred to vsalon using safari on my phone

I dont know the costs involved, but if all things equal, forum runner > safari

Bruce K
12-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Pete's response is almost 2 years old from back when this was the Serotta Forum and he was Head Moderator and technical guru.

This is now The Paceline and Keith is our technical go-to guy.

BK

jlwdm
12-15-2012, 06:00 AM
pete....you are outdated here. forum runner makes viewing a forum MUCH easier on a mobile device versus traditonal acess using a browser.

vsalon using forum runner on my phone much preferred to vsalon using safari on my phone

I dont know the costs involved, but if all things equal, forum runner > safari

I just purchased forum runner to try on vsalon. Then I read about all of the issues. Only $1.99 loss but do your research as Forum Runner is having a lot of issues.

Jeff

Edit: worked on iPhone. Deleted on iPad and re-installed and opened in portrait mode and now works. Does not work if you open in landscape mode - which is what I always use.

Ray
12-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Tapatalk is cool, and makes reading forums such as this on a smartphone much easier (don't know about an iPad, don't have one). Yes, it's entirely possible to just use a browser such as Safari, but I find that a forum app such as this makes it faster/easier/better.

Yeah, on something as small as a smartphone, the dedicated forum reading apps can help a lot. But on an ipad, even an ipad mini, the screen is plenty big enough to just use Safari or whatever browser you like...

-Ray

mike p
12-15-2012, 07:55 AM
+1.....I can't see any need for it at all on my iPad. The iPhone at my age...a reader would be helpful.

Mike

QUOTE=Ray;1257695]Yeah, on something as small as a smartphone, the dedicated forum reading apps can help a lot. But on an ipad, even an ipad mini, the screen is plenty big enough to just use Safari or whatever browser you like...

-Ray[/QUOTE]

pdmtong
12-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Pete's response is almost 2 years old from back when this was the Serotta Forum and he was Head Moderator and technical guru.

This is now The Paceline and Keith is our technical go-to guy.

BK

caught again replying to an OLD thread. yup, see that now

dekindy
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I do not have a smartphone and it is a running joke with my more technologically focused friend. However most of the time when I ask him a question he is unable to answer because he says that he cannot view it properly on his small screen to see the answer. Very simple things like game scores when I can see he has some scores visible on his screen. So if it would help with that then it might be worthwhile but if it just saves a few seconds on opening the forum it just sounds to me like another portal that the forum could be attacked from. On the other hand, if you want to attract new, younger members, that is often the only way they access the internet and you will be limiting your membership possibilites, at least that is the way I see it. Remember I began this response by saying that I have never used a smartphone.

rnhood
12-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I find it hard to believe a smart phone is the only way a younger person accesses the internet.

I see no advantage of some forum application when you can open the forum right from a browser...and probably just as efficiently.

Puget Pounder
12-15-2012, 08:14 PM
tapatalk and forumrunner make viewing forums much easier. It's more interactive. For example, rather than zooming in and trying to punch tiny page numbers with your fat fingers, page numbers are at the to of threads and are larger. You also don't have to hit "back" and choose the next thread, instead you can swipe to the next page.

It seems like a lot of you guys who are naying the app for an ipad haven't used it. It works very well for me for the other forums I frequent.

jlwdm
12-16-2012, 04:37 AM
I do not have a smartphone and it is a running joke with my more technologically focused friend. However most of the time when I ask him a question he is unable to answer because he says that he cannot view it properly on his small screen to see the answer. Very simple things like game scores when I can see he has some scores visible on his screen. So if it would help with that then it might be worthwhile but if it just saves a few seconds on opening the forum it just sounds to me like another portal that the forum could be attacked from. On the other hand, if you want to attract new, younger members, that is often the only way they access the internet and you will be limiting your membership possibilites, at least that is the way I see it. Remember I began this response by saying that I have never used a smartphone.

No smart phone? Hard to imagine young or old.

Can't see scores on a smart phone? Something wrong.

None of your post makes much sense.

Jeff

Alan
12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Having an ipad app for the forum would be good and would make things easier for some. I think it would be an improvement as I use my ipad as much as my notebook - sometimes more.

Alan

djg21
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM

I have suggested Tapatalk to Keith. I use it on a iPhone and iPad. The iPad-specific client is HD for use on the bigger Retina Display. It does make browsing forums easier, and appears to be free for forums to use.

lukeheller
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
So, can anyone confirm functionality of Paceline and Forum Runner for the iPhone? Or some other app for the iPhone that will work? Thanks!

djg21
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
There is a Tapatalk client for iPhone. RBR and MTBR are accessible through it. ThePaceline is not yet available on it.

CaliFly
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Bumping this...

ergott
01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
The only people that don't see the benefit of interacting with a forum on Tapatalk are the people that haven't spent any time on it with a smartphone. I resisted for the longest time, but got the app a few weeks ago. Much better format. You can type replies much better and navigate. Tapatalk replaces you browser for forum use and it more appropriate on smaller displays like a phone or even the smaller tablets.

Try it before you say there is no reason to use it.

EDS
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
The only people that don't see the benefit of interacting with a forum on Tapatalk are the people that haven't spent any time on it with a smartphone. I resisted for the longest time, but got the app a few weeks ago. Much better format. You can type replies much better and navigate. Tapatalk replaces you browser for forum use and it more appropriate on smaller displays like a phone or even the smaller tablets.

Try it before you say there is no reason to use it.

Steel is real!

Suggesting an app for forum viewing to someone who has never used one is like suggesting a carbon fiber frame to a steel lover who thinks they will crack if you look at it the wrong way! ;)

gordieax
01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
'We don't need no stinkin' apps...'
Forum seems to work just fine as it is constructed.

PaMtbRider
01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
I for one would love to see an app. I check in regularly on my iPhone and wish it were easier.

Pete Mckeon
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
THe moderators do not get paid, the forum is not a money generator - so why add extra work and complexity for management.

I am not saying it is bad- all I am say is how is it going to be put into the forum for operations and management.

I look at the forum on my IPAD and it seems acceptable for me. (just my opinion) and that and a glass will get me a red wine:beer::

Please also ask yourself what is the value to an app and also the cost to the forum "moderators"

Keith A
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll do some research and see how difficult it would be to enable Tapatalk. My brief review of their website makes it seem pretty simple...but this rarely turns out to be true.

eippo1
01-17-2013, 12:36 AM
You might want to check across the hall. They use Forum Runner and it is excellent.

boxerboxer
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
You might want to check across the hall. They use Forum Runner and it is excellent.

+1. If it's cost-prohibitive for the forum, I understand, and the naysayers are not wrong in that it's perfectly fine to use the standard site.

However, on mobile devices such as tablets and especially phones, the Forum Runner app is a massive improvement in usability because it's optimized for smaller screens controlled with a touchscreen.

Keith A
01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Ok. I'll take a look at Forum Runner too.

ergott
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I use Forum Runner and Tapatalk. I think Tapatalk is more widely used and it's a better app. If you look at a lot of tech forums they use tapatalk and I think that's a good indication.

PaMtbRider
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks Keith. As said above, it is not a big deal and I wouldn't want you or the forum to invest a lot of time or money into it. If it is a relatively easy thing to add I am sure it would be used and appreciated.

Keith A
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
I use Forum Runner and Tapatalk. I think Tapatalk is more widely used and it's a better app. If you look at a lot of tech forums they use tapatalk and I think that's a good indication.Good input.

djg21
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
+1. If it's cost-prohibitive for the forum, I understand, and the naysayers are not wrong in that it's perfectly fine to use the standard site.

However, on mobile devices such as tablets and especially phones, the Forum Runner app is a massive improvement in usability because it's optimized for smaller screens controlled with a touchscreen.

I have looked into this, and Tapatalk is free for the forum, and requires only that the vbulletin plugin be used. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem that much in terms of resources or moderator time need be expended.

maunahaole
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Forum Runner is used OTH. I have it on my iPad. It has become increasingly buggy and slow at times. It worked great at first, but seems to be getting worse. I have switched back to using safari to read the forum, as I know it will work.

Keith A
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Okay. I've installed Tapatalk...but I haven't figured out the "Push Key" think yet.