PDA

View Full Version : Footbeds

Ti-Boy
05-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Do people use footbeds (other than those that come with the shoes) in their riding shoes? Recommendations?

Climb01742
05-17-2005, 04:25 AM
i do. they make a big difference. your foot is the mechanicism that transfers your power to the bike. the more efficiently and powerfully it does it, the more power you have. and many, if not most injuries, begin in your feet being misaligned. bill peterson in rhode island is very knowledgeable, if you're in new england. mass-produced footbeds are probably better than nothing, but if you can find someone near you who is knowledgeable about cycling and can make you a custom pair, that is probably a better way to go.

William
05-17-2005, 05:12 AM
i do. they make a big difference. your foot is the mechanicism that transfers your power to the bike. the more efficiently and powerfully it does it, the more power you have. and many, if not most injuries, begin in your feet being misaligned. bill peterson in rhode island is very knowledgeable, if you're in new england. .

I'm to the point where I'm going to give Mr. P. a call and run by his place. I'm not so concerned with the bike set-up as I am getting his opinion on the intermittent numbness I get on longer rides. It's time.

William

Kevin
05-17-2005, 06:04 AM
they make a big difference. your foot is the mechanicism that transfers your power to the bike. the more efficiently and powerfully it does it, the more power you have. and many, if not most injuries, begin in your feet being misaligned.

Climb is right, many injuries begin with foot alignment. I have never tried custom footbeds. However, I did purchase custom shoes and have never regreted the decision.

Kevin

BarryG
05-17-2005, 06:26 AM
I paid $150 for some custom cycling orthotics this year and it was money very well spent. It definitely delivers a more direct connection between my feet and crankarms.

For those who don't want to go custom, Sole footbeds (http://www.yoursole.com/) are the best OTS insoles at $40. Between cycling and running, I've tried them all.

LegendRider
05-17-2005, 07:31 AM
I always replaced the stock insole from Sidis with Superfeet. It makes a huge difference - my foot is much more stable, it doesn't want to pronate, etc. I also tried the Peterson insert sold by Excel and others and I found it to be useless (way too soft). Superfeet is the best IMO.

Bradford
05-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I use the SureFoot custom footbeds from my ski boots. :fight:

I liked the SureFoots so much I was going to get them to make some for my cycling shoes, but then found out they would be the same as my ski boot foot beds. So I just use the same pair and saved the extra $180.

Just like the others said, it feels much better when you use custom footbeds.

spiderman
05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
size 42 fit in my size 43 shimano carbon road shoes...
no cost.
perfect fit,
total comfort!
i was going to order the birkenstock sport version...
...but haven't needed that apparent upgrade.
if you don't have worn out birks...
...give your feet a break
and wear some out...
the more i ride,
the more i find
if you have a leather saddle
and cork footbeds...
...the rest is gravy!
imltho...(lt=less than)

93legendti
05-17-2005, 08:27 AM
i do. they make a big difference. your foot is the mechanicism that transfers your power to the bike. the more efficiently and powerfully it does it, the more power you have. and many, if not most injuries, begin in your feet being misaligned. bill peterson in rhode island is very knowledgeable, if you're in new england. mass-produced footbeds are probably better than nothing, but if you can find someone near you who is knowledgeable about cycling and can make you a custom pair, that is probably a better way to go.

I agree!

znfdl
05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I have to agree with the other poster who uses superfeet in sidi shoes. I started to use the superfeet about two weeks ago and have noticed a number of improvements:

I have a high arch, therefore I get more support from the superfeet

I no longer have hot spots

Overall feel much more comfortable.

zap
05-17-2005, 12:51 PM
I just finished converting all my Sidi shoes to Specialized Body Geo insoles. So far so good but far to early to arrive at any conclusion. Especially considering other recent changes to my shoe/pedal interface.

Used Superfeet for many years, but still had minor foot issues.

Ti-Boy
05-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Thanks. I do not have foot pain issues, but may have alignment issues. I use a LeWedge on one shoe which seems to have helped. I noticed that when I spin easy sitting upright with no hands my left knee moves much closer to the top tube than my right knee. Since I have new shoes on order (Nike Poggio III), I thought I would visit the footbed idea.

Needs Help
05-18-2005, 04:27 AM
I noticed that when I spin easy sitting upright with no hands my left knee moves much closer to the top tube than my right knee.
I notice that too with my left knee--although it occurs while I'm riding normally. As far as I know, I don't have any physical problems as a result. I wonder if everyone has one knee that is closer to the top tube?

jwb96
05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
I notice that too with my left knee--although it occurs while I'm riding normally. As far as I know, I don't have any physical problems as a result. I wonder if everyone has one knee that is closer to the top tube?
But I have one knee (right) that if I don't concentrate will wander towards the top tube more than the other.

djg
05-18-2005, 08:23 AM
I just use the stock superfeet inserts. I haven't done much of anything by way of experimenting with alternatives, but I definitely like my shoes (carnac now; and an older pair of northwave evolutions before that) better with the replacement inserts (different colors indicate different volumes--I tend to like the blue ones, but that's partly just a fit issue).