PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 11spd Compact Chainring Options other than 34T?

RkyMtn
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I typically run a 50/36 setup on my bikes and wanted to hear from anyone if they have used any 3rd party chainrings (Tune or TA) or a Campagnolo 36T from their CX cross crank, and how it is working out.

I would like a 36T inner on my Super Record crank.

Thanks,

Eric

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Get in touch with Mike Zanconato on his site (http://www.zanconato.com/#splash-f4da1) (actually give him a call). He is making some aftermarket rings for Campy cranks for CX racing. I think they should be ready shortly.

Rueda Tropical
01-22-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks,

Eric

TA Nerius 11 spd chainrings (http://ruedatropical.com/2009/06/specialites-ta-11-speed-chainrings/)

Available sizes: Inner 34, 36, 38, 39, 42 T

Peter White is now carrying them. A google search will turn up a couple of UK suppliers as well.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2011, 07:20 AM
I typically run a 50/36 setup on my bikes and wanted to hear from anyone if they have used any 3rd party chainrings (Tune or TA) or a Campagnolo 36T from their CX cross crank, and how it is working out.

Thanks,

Eric

I have installed many TA chainrigs onto Campagnolo UT cranks. Work well, less $ than Campagnolo. I carry them or can get them quickly.

AC0
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I tried a TA Nerius 11 36T paired with the original Athena 50T outer ring. I could not get it to up shift reliably under load (it worked ok on the stand). The pins and ramps were just slightly off, and the derailleur was more likely to jam the chain against the outer chainring than lift it up. With the original 34T, shifts were clean and crisp.

This was with an older (2005) 10s drivetrain, so the front changer was not designed for use with a compact crank. I suspect a newer compact compatible derailleur would work, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

AC

oldpotatoe
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I tried a TA Nerius 11 36T paired with the original Athena 50T outer ring. I could not get it to up shift reliably under load (it worked ok on the stand). The pins and ramps were just slightly off, and the derailleur was more likely to jam the chain against the outer chainring than lift it up. With the original 34T, shifts were clean and crisp.

This was with an older (2005) 10s drivetrain, so the front changer was not designed for use with a compact crank. I suspect a newer compact compatible derailleur would work, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

AC

2008 or later FD, Chorus, ALU cage, it'll work fine. No such animal as compact FD from Campagnolo starting in 2008. shimano never had one, a compact FD is not required..

I suspect it's a FD adjust issue. The small ring is just a simple ring with all teeth being the same. Nothing on the small ring that helps or doesn't get the chain to the big ring.