PDA

View Full Version : ***?!! Where is all the JP Weigle Frame Saver

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
No local shops, all backordered and can't get it from distributers. Even the big boys are out of stock. Anyone holding...dude I have a new Zanc to treat before building.

I suppose this belongs in Classified, but I'm more interested in why the world's supply has run out, though I'll be happy to buy it too.

Edit: some guy on Ebay seems to have some, but still, ***.

DRietz
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Get Boeshield T-9. Cheaper per ounce and more effective.

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
They got all the tools to just stick it in those tubes and coat everything. Of course, it also probably adds about 5 lbs to your bike . . . :D ;)

BBD

cnighbor1
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
There is the same thing in LBS or LPS
$12 At local parts store
When nozzle plugs up put whole can in warm water

ultraman6970
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
In advance autoparts you can get a can of rust inhibitor/ rust killer. Not expensive but i would love to see this is something like regular paint not in spray.

gasman
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
PM sent

salem
01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
To the original poster, you might check with Mike and see if he already coated the frame. I have one of his very early creations, and at that time, he delivered it with tubes already sprayed.

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
You know, I will check with Mike.

Gasman, waiting on your PM with bated breath!

rcnute
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Out in Seattle too. At least we have Boeing/Boeshield!

AngryScientist
01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
dont fool yourself into thinking the bike specific stuff is any secret formula. go to any marine good store and get a heavy duty corrosion inhibitor. your bike is surely not going to see more severe service environments than salt water marine stuff does, trust me.

http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7/1672/116/20101101/www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/m-57/MP81119657.jpg

Bob Ross
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I suppose this belongs in Classified, but I'm more interested in why the world's supply has run out, though I'll be happy to buy it too.

Total digression, but fwiw the same thing has apparently happened to the world's supply of WIN laundry detergent.

bigflax925
01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
I've had some on backorder fir months. This isn't a recent shortage. I agree - ***?!?

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Bigflax, kind of a beating on shipping, but this guy still has 8 cans. Stock up for the apocalypse.

Last eight cans of Frame Saver in the world (http://cgi.ebay.com/JP-Weigle-Frame-Saver-Aerosol-framesaver-/390281430521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade9605f9#ht_500wt_1156)

01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I have an extra can or two sitting around. PM me if you haven't found some and you can buy a can from me.

Honestly, using JPW Framesaver is just horse sense. It's been widely used and proven. Yes, there are all kinds of other products. For the most part they aren't any cheaper. Framesaver was formulated to have the right spray viscosity and solidification rate so it would cover well inside frame tubes, where many products are slower to solidify and will mostly drip out, or will solidify so fast they don't get into all the corners. Remember you need to get every corner in a frame or that spot, especially if it's at the low end when the bike is sitting with any humidity inside, becomes a site for rust. It's not about fancy chemistry, just about something that works. This is reminiscent of people trying to find a better rim cement than Mastik One. Better also means it's been tested and proven specifically in this application, which the alternatives haven't. I don't want to take a risk with my frame when I KNOW there's something that works and has worked for years in this specific application.

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks 11.4,

I have a slow can coming from the ebay guy, and a fast half can coming from gasman (bless you sir!!!). I agree, lots of other things like it, but Frame Saver works really well, and it's not like it's spendy, $15 can will do 3-5 bikes.

You guys are the best!!

dave thompson
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Plus when you buy FrameSaver, you're supporting one of the very best classic frame builders in the US. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/weigle_jp.htm and http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/5209479494/in/set-72157625305683679/#/photos/49353569@N00/5209479494/in/set-72157625305683679/lightbox/

Dekonick
01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Plus when you buy FrameSaver, you're supporting one of the very best classic frame builders in the US. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/weigle_jp.htm and http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/5209479494/in/set-72157625305683679/#/photos/49353569@N00/5209479494/in/set-72157625305683679/lightbox/

The best reason to buy this stuff! In a pinch, just get boilled linseed oil and slosh it around the frame. Takes a LOT longer to dry this way, but gives good protection.

Dekonick
01-22-2011, 03:21 PM
They got all the tools to just stick it in those tubes and coat everything. Of course, it also probably adds about 5 lbs to your bike . . . :D ;)

BBD

Anyone ever use Zeibart for rust protection on their car? It seems like BS to me... for a car anyway...

mnoble485
01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but...how often should a steel frame be treated?

Mike

rcnute
01-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but...how often should a steel frame be treated?

Mike

Every year I like to strip the bike down and clean everything, at which point I usually treat it too. Probably overkill from what I've read.

Pete Serotta
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Mike

This is a good rule....I quite often slip to a longer period but my frames do not see much harshness. Additionally Serotta steel is coated at the plant before it leaves, so I have become lax.

PETE

gasman
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Mike

I sprayed my Co-motion when I bought it in early '07. Daily rider in the rain in Eugene. Last month I tore it down to inspect the frame and even with a really good flashlight I couldn't see any corrosion. I sprayed the inside again 'cuz I had the frame saver sitting around. Just mailed off rest of the can to DRZRM. i don't see why I would need to treat it again. My old Puegot lasted 30 years without frame saver. If I live 30 more years i won't be on that bike anyway.

jvp
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I remember Dale Brown (Classic Rendezvous) telling me he had seldom seen internal fame corrosion on the many bikes that run through his shop, and that he didn't think frame saver was absolutely essential for all steel frames. Or something like that. I think it depends on your riding habits, conditions, and bike storage method. Some frames may need it, others not.

William
01-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Two words: Fluid Film.

Non-toxic and prevents rust completely. I've got a 26 year old rust free Landcruiser to prove it.

William

ultraman6970
01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Didnt know this product, looks pretty neat.

R2D2
01-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Not trying to take food out of Peter's mouth.
But if you can't find FrameSaver go by a marine supply store and get some CorrosionX. It was initially developed to treat the internals of aluminum airplane fuselage. I used in marine environments. We would cut it 50/50 with lacquer thinner and spray the entire engine compartment down.
Works around the house like WD40 only much much better.

R2D2
01-23-2011, 02:05 AM
I remember Dale Brown (Classic Rendezvous) telling me he had seldom seen internal fame corrosion on the many bikes that run through his shop, and that he didn't think frame saver was absolutely essential for all steel frames. Or something like that. I think it depends on your riding habits, conditions, and bike storage method. Some frames may need it, others not.

I've known Dale many many years (decades) . And here's a rust related story.
A vintage Minkblue Raleigh Pro came thru the shop with a number of rusted pin holes (I know the frame). The owner wanted Dale to have them puddied up for a repaint so he could sell the bike. The fellow quickly left the shop in a huff.
You can easily figure out Dale's response.

William
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Didnt know this product, looks pretty neat.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

What I find amazing about this stuff is how much it creeps. It will work its way into every nook and cranny and get into places far from the point of initial application. No need to tape up a frame and shake and roll it around, no need to cut it with toxic chemicals and it is not toxic/poisonous itself. You can buy it in aerosol cans or by the gallon. And with a wand attachment you will get it into every tube.

http://www.fluidfilmworld.com/profiles/blogs/extension-wand-for-aerosol

http://api.ning.com/files/2TOrM-KVV0J-WTehhuSNeAB6aB5GuUAz5RpjAejzZCYJ1TYDv1cwp79PqkAvFh QIj6p7guMyEyFKFGMQ3ZFBDCA3G9utZgoh/as11spraywand.jpg

Used by the heavy marine/shipping industry, NASA, etc....

William

bike22
01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
there's literally an unlimited amount of similar products out there that will do a comparable, or better job than the can with jpw's name on it. of course, it doesn't have jpw's name on it as well, so...

dirty little secret...jpw's framesaver is just a repackaged version of something suggested in this thread.

William
01-24-2011, 04:33 AM
there's literally an unlimited amount of similar products out there that will do a comparable, or better job than the can with jpw's name on it. of course, it doesn't have jpw's name on it as well, so...

dirty little secret...jpw's framesaver is just a repackaged version of something suggested in this thread.

True. And if you do a little digging there have been threads in the past with info on that very subject.

William

Bob Ross
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Geez, I would hope so. Can you imagine what a horrible timesuck it would be to have to mix up huge batches of caustic chemicals in your home workshop in between all the brazing and mitering?

bike22
01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
that's the easy part, the real time-suck is measuring and filling all those aerosol cans...

Dekonick
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I believe framesaver is boilled linseed oil in a easy to dispense can. Am I wrong? It sure looks and smells the same... and I have to admit that it is MUCH easier to use than straight up linseed oil...

So what is it?

dave thompson
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I believe framesaver is boilled linseed oil in a easy to dispense can. Am I wrong? It sure looks and smells the same... and I have to admit that it is MUCH easier to use than straight up linseed oil...

So what is it?
I believe you're correct and that FrameSaver has a carrier that evaporates leaving the essential product sticking to where it needs to be. Boiled linseed oil takes forever to get to the state where it won't continue to move. Frames treated with boiled linseed oil need to be left in the garage until it quits being runny.

Dekonick
01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I believe you're correct and that FrameSaver has a carrier that evaporates leaving the essential product sticking to where it needs to be. Boiled linseed oil takes forever to get to the state where it won't continue to move. Frames treated with boiled linseed oil need to be left in the garage until it quits being runny.

It is a week process +/- if you are sloshing boilled linseed oil around. You have to give enough time for it to drain out. I usually rotate the bike every 12 or so hours in a clamp in just about every position you can think of, then un plug the drain holes /or tube openings and let it drip until it stops. Works like a charm, but messy. Now I just use framesaver.

LouDeeter
01-24-2011, 03:45 PM
I guess those 3 cases I've got in my garage may have depleted the market?? Just kidding. I use a can about once every two years. While there are other products that might do the same thing, supporting a fellow cyclist and superb framebuilder is reason enough for me to buy from Peter.

grantman18
03-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm pretty sure the product below is the exact same formula as framesaver

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5499981834_ca73120d02.jpg

It has the same smell, viscosity, and appearance as frame saver, and the label says it contains heptane and petroleum distillates. Every shop near me is out of framesaver, and I want to build up my new Soma frame this weekend, so I figured I'd try it out. It's more than twice the size and only $9!

oldpotatoe
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm pretty sure the product below is the exact same formula as framesaver

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5499981834_ca73120d02.jpg

It has the same smell, viscosity, and appearance as frame saver, and the label says it contains heptane and petroleum distillates. Every shop near me is out of framesaver, and I want to build up my new Soma frame this weekend, so I figured I'd try it out. It's more than twice the size and only $9!

Back at distributors and hence in bike shops.

dave thompson
06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I've had an outstanding order for FrameSaver for several months now. Today my LBS called me and told me that it was again available and should be in his stock next week, coming from QBP. That means that most any bike shop could order and receive it for you very quickly.