PDA

View Full Version : OT: Interesting Day at the Office

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 03:46 PM
We had a visitor.

Very interesting day . . . He's tall and thin up close, but not as tall as our CEO.

BBD

onekgguy
01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Very cool, Dave. Did you get to shake his hand?

Kevin g

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Way, WAY too busy! I was with the White House press corps on the tour. Very tightly stage managed. No real chance for any kind of spontaneity. They herded us into place, POTUS and Immelt walked by, paused for a couple of minutes at several different spots, then moved on.

Here's my stuff on the GE blog . . .

http://www.gereports.com/obamas-schenectady-tour-focuses-on-tech-exports-jobs/

BBD

54ny77
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
ahh, you "bring good things to life," i see.... :beer:

kramnnim
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Did y'all do the Alan Jackson line dance as seen on the GE commercial currently airing on TV?

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
. . . TV commercial in this same building at our site. I did a feature story on the shoot.

BBD

Uncle Jam's Army
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Dave, you work in Fairfield?

1happygirl
01-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Very cool to have access and be that close to the leader of the free world.

Got to shake a few hands in my day, but most b4 they were officially the leader.

Read the blog link. Didn't know that about the turbines. Interesting.
PS Your shot with you in it was very cool!!! (neat idea, I wouldn't have thought of that)

Fixed
01-21-2011, 04:54 PM
potus what an honor to be that close any potus
imho cheers

Climb01742
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
somehow, dave, i expected a zebra tie. :)

Uncle Jam's Army
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
That Secret Service fella looks like he could lose a few lbs.

shiftyfixedgear
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Very cool to have access and be that close to the leader of the free world.

Got to shake a few hands in my day, but most b4 they were officially the leader.

Read the blog link. Didn't know that about the turbines. Interesting.
PS Your shot with you in it was very cool!!! (neat idea, I wouldn't have thought of that)

I thought Fixed was the "leader of the free world" ? Or is it Jack Brunk ? Damn this is confusing - maybe Mr. Squirrel knows ?

onekgguy
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Way, WAY too busy! I was with the White House press corps on the tour. Very tightly stage managed. No real chance for any kind of spontaneity. They herded us into place, POTUS and Immelt walked by, paused for a couple of minutes at several different spots, then moved on.

Here's my stuff on the GE blog . . .

http://www.gereports.com/obamas-schenectady-tour-focuses-on-tech-exports-jobs/

BBD

Very nice job with the blog. Fun day I'm sure.

Kevin g

fourflys
01-21-2011, 05:32 PM
very cool..

When Pres. Clinton was in office, he came down to Miami for a "We love the Coast Guard" speech and I had the honor of being in the bullet shield, er receiving line, anyway after his speech he came around and shook all out hands and said in his sultry voice "Thank you for your service"... one of the coolest days I've had...

jasond
01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice shot.

This is me with President Clinton. He was suppose to get in his limo however told the secret service to line us up so he could shake all of our hands.

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
very cool..

When Pres. Clinton was in office, he came down to Miami for a "We love the Coast Guard" speech and I had the honor of being in the bullet shield, er receiving line, anyway after his speech he came around and shook all out hands and said in his sultry voice "Thank you for your service"... one of the coolest days I've had...

. . . before this was on the risers for Daddy Bush. I also got sent to the airport one time as "crash insurance" for the AP for Reagan's plane. (Yes they DO send a shooter out there just in case . . . :eek: )

BBD

avalonracing
01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Dave,

How come you are wearing safely glasses but the people in the background aren't?

Bud_E
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I never got to see no POTUS but my daughter sat a few rows away from Obama when he gave this speech (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/obama-cooper-union-speech_n_548357.html) at her school last April -- in the same hall where Abraham Lincoln gave one of his most famous speeches : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union_speech

slowgoing
01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
BBD -

Why are you wearing a hunting vest and glasses???

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
. . . and I forgot to take them off!

We had to wear them on the walking tour and I'm so used to having them on in that building that I just forgot they were there.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I met the prez when he was a Senator after a Judiciary hearing a few years back. Tall and much skinnier than you would think. My wife works for GE and saw Immelt speak a few years back, pretty engaging but no Jack Welch.

Sounds like a great day Dave, pretty cool.

rwsaunders
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
That Secret Service fella looks like he could lose a few lbs.

Most likely a few pounds of Kevlar vest, an Uzi and related ammo.

rugbysecondrow
01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Most likely a few pounds of Kevlar vest, an Uzi and related ammo.
Booya. Those agents are some fit fellas.

gone
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I got to shake JFK's hand as his motorcade went by on its way to the airport to take him to Dallas.

AngryScientist
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
very cool Dave, i havent read the whole blog post yet, other than the pics, we should talk turbines one of these days, great stuff!

rdparadise
01-21-2011, 09:03 PM
I got to shake JFK's hand as his motorcade went by on its way to the airport to take him to Dallas.

***, the day he died or what? You ????ting us? :no:

Bob

onekgguy
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Bob

Yeah, that's really something.

Kevin g

gasman
01-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I got to meet him when he was campaigning and he stopped by our hospital unannounced. I'm in scrubs with the american flag scrub cap, I had just spoken with one of his aide's who took my name. Obama is a bit further on. I ended up shaking his hand and chatting for a minute. He has a lot of poise. Lots of Secret Service guys around.

Louis
01-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Cool pics, guys.

Dave, you should have told him that you thought that Michelle looked hot in that red and black dress she wore for the State Dinner... :cool:

KeithS
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I take a lot of pictures, but they are just snapshots compared to yours. The composition of your over the shoulder, behind your back, on a whim shot is better than if I had a hour, a tripod, and everyone stood still.

Cool day, great photo.

gone
01-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Bob

Sorry I wasn't clear, it wasn't in Dallas. He was on a tour of several cities, one of them was mine, next stop Dallas.