PDA

View Full Version : OT??: Squirrel Appreciation Day

rounder
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I just read that January 21 is officially Squirrel Appreciation day, and that we are expected to give them treats. What is up with that.

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/January/squirrelappreciation.htm

JMerring
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
It was spearheaded by a global consortium of bicycle wheel manufacturers. They had wanted a squirrel appreciation month but the squirrel lobby, loaded as they are with nuts, managed to limit it to one day.

William
01-21-2011, 03:31 PM
This is just going to provoke the rodent! Lock it up now!!

William

phoenix
01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The only thing a squirrel is going to get in my yard is a face full of Border Collie.

HenryA
01-21-2011, 06:44 PM

clunk
01-22-2011, 07:19 AM
http://tiny.cc/k9uli

res ipsa loquitor

Mr. Squirrel
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
no one here left me any wheels at the base of my tree to show their appreciation. i am beginning to feel that maybe you do not like me. on second thought, maybe you just want me to collect them on my own during the spring and summer....like a game. silly me. see you then <nuk nuk!>

mr. squirrel

King
01-23-2011, 02:46 AM
I appreciate you and all your squirrel friends and relatives. I especially appreciate the squirrels that enter the yard and don't make it out.

Crunch crunch swallow is simply beautiful....

Your worst nightmare,

:) King :)

William
01-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Dear Mr. Squirrel,

Just to show how much we all love you here, I have left a very pretty Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL at the base of your tree. Don't mind the gray Playdough looking stuff or the wires, that's just to keep the wheel warm until you can get to it....honest.

Enjoy!

William

drewski
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
no one here left me any wheels at the base of my tree to show their appreciation. i am beginning to feel that maybe you do not like me. on second thought, maybe you just want me to collect them on my own during the spring and summer....like a game. silly me. see you then <nuk nuk!>

mr. squirrel

How do we avoid hurting your brothers and sisters as we are riding
on the road?
Is my incessant Japanese brass warning bell ringing bane or boon?

William
01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Dear Mr. Squirrel,

A person on another forum has one of your Nephews. I think a trade could be arranged if you agree to stop posting and cease and desist your continued campaign to down my fellow cyclists and steal their wheels.

A baby squirrel fell down the chimney tonight into the fireplace. I occasionally have squirrels in the attic, so this isn’t the first time a baby has taken a false step and slid down the metal flue. Maybe it thought it would be warmer in the living room than up in all that insulation? It is about the size of a fat chipmunk with a flat bushy tail. Cute as it is, SWMBO doesn’t like them in the house. Small as it is, its first reflex is to bite, glad I was wearing gloves the 2 times I actually had it in my hands. (I still have a bite scar on one finger from 50 years ago that I got from a squirrel that I trapped as a child, and I was wearing thick leather gloves at the time!) My attempt to put it this beast in a cooler was greeted with its ability to leap about 3-4 feet vertically. It was quite comedic with my attempts to catch it in a minnow net and it jumping around here and there throughout the house. My wife threatened to go to a motel, but was adamant that I not harm the squirrel and also quarantined the dog in the bedroom to prevent him from exorcising the bushy tailed rodent. He’s caught mice in the past, so I’m sure a baby squirrel would be a fine treat. One of the 3 times I actually trapped this beast, it jumped onto my chest when I cornered it in the kitchen, but, it got away again as I fumbled with the net. Luckily it was hungry and went for some sunflower seeds and cracked corn I put under an inverted wastebasket made of mesh metal. I propped up the wastebasket on one side with a whiflle ball, and when it went under the basket to eat, I whacked the ball away and it was mine. I slid a piece of cardboard under the basket to make a lid and dumped the rodent in a trash can with that same cardboard lid. I threw in an old t-shirt and some food before he could jump out and bite into my carotid artery. I’ll try to find a place that adopts wild creatures. If I can’t, I’ll get a cage and keep it until Spring. That is unless someone on the forum wants to adopt it. Takers?

William :D

Steve in SLO
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
The squirrels had a grand time on S.A.D.
This one's apparently still sleeping it off...

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I have seen the face of death:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0Oz8ApvnZhs/S7zcceJfq0I/AAAAAAAAAqE/tMLlAvqk87k/s1600/squirrel01.jpg

Steve in SLO
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Good God, Mr Squirrel: Get a toothbrush!

old_fat_and_slow
01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
How can you celebrate S.A.D. without reference to this page ????

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

FloridaRider
01-25-2011, 10:45 AM
One of my most satisfying cycling moments was when a squirrel ran in front of me, did his little dance and then took off across the road - only to be flattened by a black Escalade. The "pop" I heard was satisfying in a sinister, evil way...but it brought a smile to my face just the same. Too many close calls with the little bastards to feel bad about it at all.

russ46
01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
2010 Fall Squirrel Stories

Agility: Squirrel ran across road just missing the front wheel of a large SUV coming towards me. As the SUV went by me I saw the squirrel stop, do a 180, flip it's tail over it back and just avoid being flattened by the SUV's rear wheel. Pretty amazing.

Stupidity: I came around a tight corner & saw a squirrel sitting in the road about 3 feet from the edge. I decided to swerve to the left. The squirrel, rather then staying put, decided to move in the same direction. My front tire went right over the middle of it's back & the back tire also scored a direct hit. When I looked back, the squirrel was flopping around on the road....and I could only think dumb, dumb, dumb.