PDA

View Full Version : how much have you paid for organized rides?

AngryScientist
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
last year i did a solo version of the harpoon brewery b2b ride because i got locked out of the organized ride. i did it self supported with a buddy and had a great time. i liked the route so much that i decided it was a 2011 goal to do the organized ride this year.

changes to registration include:

-open pre-registration for riders who have done the ride in the past

-changed the cost to $200 + $4(service fee) + $100(minimum) charity donation to two charities they have chosen

In other words, since this event sold out in <5 minutes last year, and they are letting “alumni” pre-register, I will never get a spot, and $304 for a supported ride on public roads is really ludicrously expensive.

i'm all for charitable contributions and all, but i've bought wheelsets that are less than the registration fee for this ride. am i being a cheap ass, or is this really a bit over the top for a supported ride? there are some nice perks, including a post ride bbq, SAG support and a ride back to the start (which i dont think i'd take anyway...) but still?

with the very real probability that i'll never get a spot anyway, i'll be organizing another unsupported unsanctioned b2b ride this year, sigh.

Ralph
01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm with you. I'm all for charities also, but hate to pay big bucks to do a ride I can do myself any time I want. It's nice to be part of a big event, nice to get that T shirt, etc, but prefer not to have all those riders wobbling all around me. I even balk at paying $40 to do a very popular, once a year, century ride around here with only 1500 of my best friends. Being retired, I can ride that route, or parts of it, any time I wish.

akelman
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I think I just paid $135 for my entry in Levi's Gran Fondo and about the same for the Copper Triangle. Both seemed pricey, sure, but given how well supported the rides are, not unreasonable. I honestly can't remember what I paid the last time I rode the StP. It might have been north of $150. But again, the support on that ride is unbelievable. And for most normal people, it's a two-day event. So, yeah, $300+ seems quite high. That said, I don't know a thing about the event in question. Maybe they have supermodels handing out Kruggerands to all of the riders who cross the finish.

fourflys
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
the most I paid was $100 for the San Diego Gran Fondo, but I did get a free jersey with it so it makes it a bit better...

I'm OK with paying $40 or $50 bucks for a ride as most of them support something worthy and it's not free to put an event on...

sure, I could ride the event route myself but it just wouldn't be the same... kind of like going on vacation by yourself, it might be cheaper but usually not as enjoyable...

YMMV

cp43
01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I've done the B2B the last 4 years, so I just got that same email.

I don't remember for sure what the fee was last year, I think it was $175. At that price, it was worth it. The rest stops had plenty of food (oranges, bananas, cliff blocks, cliff bars, pickles at the later stops) and water/gatorade. There are showers at the finish, and you get 3 pints of Harpoon to go with your BBQ dinner. Plus, your clean clothes are there for you when you get there. And, you get a nice jersey.

That said, I'm not sure if I'm going to register for this years ride.

I can see their reasoning though. They're limited as far as the number of people they can accept, and their headache as far as registration is much reduced if they raise the price and fewer people register. I don't know how they'll pick people from the non alumni pool, but whatever they're going to do, it'll probably be more fair than the web form that was used in the past. Which was overloaded with traffic around registration time last year, and not available to anyone I know that tried to register.

If you end up doing an unofficial ride again, post up, I might be interested.

Chris

Jack Brunk
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
$245 fee and 30 bucks for a return shuttle for this years Tahoe Sierra 100 mountain bike race. Seems high but the forest service charges alot for access to trails. Makes the 20,000 plus feet of climbing worth it.

jakez
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I haven't done an organized ride in a couple years, but this sure seems a lot to me. I'm all for charity, but not as a requirement of a ride.

crownjewelwl
01-21-2011, 03:01 PM
PMC is $175 + you have to raise $4200 for the 2 day option or $3000 for the 1 day.

The $175 pays for jersey, food, lodging, and support so I think it's fair. There's nothing like a fluffer nutter sandwich when you really need one. And the real money goes to a great cause.

BobbyJones
01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Like I posted here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=843247&postcount=7) i thought it was a great ride and well worth the $175 or so I paid.

I don't think I'd even consider it at three bills. Over my threshold.

If you're planning another haul up there, please make sure you post.

avalonracing
01-21-2011, 03:20 PM
When you are paying those entry fees also consider what goes to the charity and what goes to the promoter. It's like when you get a phone call from a cause that you chose to support. Often the telemarketing firm gets more money than the cause. If you really want to give to a charity, give directly.

FlashUNC
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
That's really steep. I think somewhere around $100 to $150 is probably my limit for a supported ride, unless you're talking some kind of multi-day tour.

While I'm sure its great support, how many rest stops do you really need full of stuff on a ride?

fourflys
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
is paying for a charity ride any different from paying to race? I mean unless you're in a category that pays money back for the podium, you're just giving the promoter your money so you can go out and ride around with a bunch of other riders and maybe even get pulled because you fall off the back...

I'm not saying you shouldn't pay to race if that's what you like (I race cross myself), but just don't try and justify it over paying for a charity ride IMHO...

as I said above, I'm not paying for the privilege of riding the same roads I can for free... I'm paying for the camaraderie and fun...

kramnnim
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow...and here I thought the $40 I paid a few weeks ago was a lot...

Waldo
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
The most I paid was $120 for Solvang Spring Double for night-before-event registration. Regular number was $80 or $85. You guys should check what Ironman distance triathlons cost -- boatloads........

false_Aest
01-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Hrm,

SoCalSteve or Tom, was I supposed to write you a check for the SoCal ride?

fourflys
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
The most I paid was $120 for Solvang Spring Double for night-before-event registration. Regular number was $80 or $85. You guys should check what Ironman distance triathlons cost -- boatloads........

that's kind of what I was getting at above... Tri's are outrageous...

Peter P.
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Here's what you do: make a donation of what you can afford to whatever charity the organized ride supports, then ride it unsupported on your own. That way you've done something good, don't feel like a shill, and get to enjoy the route.

I agree that some rides get unreasonable but if they still manage to fill their start list, then apparently it's not unreasonable enough.

I've paid $80 for D2R2 and feel it's worth every penny. I've watched the price go up by leaps and bounds each year as it has gotten more popular, but it never stops Sandy and the Franklin Land Trust from filling the field and the money goes to a worthy cause. Enough said.

salem
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Last year, Sandy Whittlesey, creator of D2R2, mentioned to me the benefiting charity, Franklin Land Trust, had talked to him about raising the entry after seeing what other rides were charging and knowing they never have problems getting riders. Sandy, a rider himself in the foremost, and a man of integrity, flatly told them, "no." He is, however, a rare entity.

Bob Ross
01-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Hmm...most I've paid is ~$100 for the Death Ride last year.

Of course, that doesn't include round trip airfare from NY to CA...or the "privilege" (sic) of being able to buy a Five Pass Finisher's jersey for $90.

godfrey1112000
01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Hottern N Hundred in Texas, great rest stops, have not used them for three years

el tour in tucson, plus a small fund raiser under $50, great stops only stop for water about 80 miles into the 109

Death Valley Double Century, you need the support and it is good, includes park fees and Jersey
we will spend three days in vegas riding lake mead and red rock before the event

Balltown Double, DeWitt, IA. great riders and support for a small ride like that

Calvin's Challenge in Springfield Ohio, good support

Triple By Pass in Evergreen Co., great ride and support and the Jersey
spend about 3 days prior riding in the Mountains

Metamora 4X50, Loop ride, good support great riders

Brevet Series, no support lots of climbing
200k and 300k, I do not do the night thing

Spring break in Phoenix, for a week of warm riding, family

Thanksgiving break for 10 days of riding in Phoenix, family

Local Centuries, crappy support, high fees, we do these bandit

travel cost and hotels all ad up but the two or three of us that go on these road trips have a blast,

oh, and on the Ironman cost, I did the Silverman in LV NV. full ironman, $575 for the team,
It was great experience and ride in the Lake mead area, but I most likely will not do it again

and I have a great wife, it is wonderful being self employed and my Yukon XL Denali has 143k milies on it

all the Hampton Inns have wireless so I am able to monitor the Forum postings

clunk
01-22-2011, 06:59 AM
I tried to get in the Harpoon ride last year and was unsuccessful even though I was on the computer at the start of registration. I just got that cryptic email and it seems like their system is not really that well thought out. Why don't they tell you what their criteria are for inclusion?

As for D2r2, I notice that they are letting an unlimited number of riders in this year.

toaster
01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
The economy is tough and we're having a hard time. I just ride my bike.

endosch2
01-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Mount Washington Hillclimb: $350. I did it last year and I am thinking again about this year, but my only real reservation is the cost.

rePhil
01-22-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm with toaster. I just want to ride my bike.

The economy is tough and we're having a hard time. I just ride my bike.

rugbysecondrow
01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Civil War Century, $35 bucks. Fantastic support, great people, great ride. One hell of a deal. I can't think of the last time I needed $150 worth of support on a ride. I have never eaten that many oranges, apples, tomato sandwiches, bananas or PB and J. I have paid $125 for a triathlon, but that was my limit.

steampunk
01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
my threshold hovers at $40-$60 for supported rides.

what sometimes keeps me away from the bigger charity rides is the generally higher registration plus minimum fundraising in the hundreds. sure for some people fundraising is a breeze but i don't really like hitting up the same people over and over year after year.

97CSI
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
The BTC is 5+ days in the Rockies on a supported ride for $400. Their route for 2011 is Trail Ridge Road. A great ride (have done it three times). $304 for a one-day ride is crazy.

jischr
01-22-2011, 09:23 AM
The local MS ride is $300 which is the entry plus an unknown amount for the charity (prolably not much). Most years I've been averaging $700 in donations and around $150 of it from myself. It's Friday night to Sunday afternoon with all the food, music, road support and cheering people you could ask for. Plus 200 miles of riding in heat/rain/cold on great/OK/crappy roads. A great time every year.

Tour de Cure is $150 mimum donation. I usually give $75 and get the rest in donations. One day with light support and acceptable stops. The century can be a near solo ride. The next to last rest stop really puts out the effort and is great relief from the heat and wind by that time. They did offer hot dogs and bratwurst last year. I was surpirsed at the number of people eating one on a hot day with 20 miles of riding to do. The after ride festivities are always good.

The local bike org centruies are $30-$40 with one or two support vehicles somewhere on the route. Bananas, cheese/crackers, and cookies at the stops that sometimes run out of ice in mid-july.

I've collected the routes over the years with the intent of getting a few buds together and just doing the ride at another time. But we've never gotten around to it.

weaponsgrade
01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
$135 for Levi's Gran Fondo.

fourflys
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Local Centuries, crappy support, high fees, we do these bandit

this is just plain wrong, but I guess that's for another discussion...

john903
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I rode Ramrod (Ride around Mt. Rainer in one day) last year it is 800 people 158mi and 10,000 feet of climbing, great support and very good riders no weaving and wobbling going on; wonderful smooth fast pace lines, goregus climbs, and friendly riders saying hi as they rode past me great experiance and great price. It is a lottery held in March and the ride is in July if you don't get a spot they refund your money minus I think $5.00 Oh and you pay via Active.com

This year humm maybe some 200k or 300k brevet's

Nice day today, going for a ride.

Ti Designs
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not against charities, but I am against charity rides because of what it's doing to the sport. People now think of cycling events as charity rides, as if nobody would ever do a long ride without raising money for some charity - that's just wrong. I ride for the love of riding, and with no sense of direction it sometimes means I go well over 100 miles. It's rare that I get anyone to go with me 'cause people now think long event = charity ride. The next time a buddy asks you to join him in a game of basketball, ask then what they're raising money for and see what their reaction is...

I've dont the B2B the last couple of years. For $200 there was food (but not enough at the end), beer and a bus ride home. It was also one of the best run group rides ever, but for $300 I think I'll pass.

dbh
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Civil War Century, $35 bucks. Fantastic support, great people, great ride. One hell of a deal. I can't think of the last time I needed $150 worth of support on a ride. I have never eaten that many oranges, apples, tomato sandwiches, bananas or PB and J. I have paid $125 for a triathlon, but that was my limit.

Ditto that. The gold standard for affordable supported non-charity rides.

jacques_anqueti
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
... though some of the decents are more than I could handle.
From what I could tell the support was great and has been mentioned there was a full complement of the cycling brotherhood and sisterhood.

dekindy
01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
RAIN - Ride Across Indiana - 1 day, 160-mile ride. 3 SAG stops, Lunch, and after ride beverages and treats. Very well organized by Bloomington Bicycle Club. $45. You also get a very nice souvenir key chain designating the year, at the finish line only. I plan to display them on the wall and hope to have at least thirty which means I will be riding into my 80's. Already have 4, 2007-2010.

Ahneida Ride
01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
One also needs to consider what is a charity?

If the ride donates to organization that has a 30% overhead ...
only 70% of every frn (or less) is actually used.
It that acceptable ?

Also look at the salaries of so called charities.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

cmg
01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
so for $200 you get (from another poster) rest stops with plenty of food (oranges, bananas, cliff blocks, cliff bars, pickles at the later stops) and water/gatorade, showers at the finish, 3 pints of Harpoon to go with your BBQ dinner. Plus, your clean clothes are there for you when you get there. And, you get a nice jersey. one of the other posters mentioned a bus ride back to origin, is that include in the price? does it include law inforcement (sherifs dept) blocking traffic at intersections? that's not free, part of the fee for the promoter getting the permit to hold the event. with a $100 to charity.

tour de cure is $150 minumum w/$45 registeration fee (texas) includes showers, reststops, breakfast and lunch, + additional fees for a dormitory bed, return trip.

shiner bash is $50+/-, plus $45 bus ride back, includes showers, reststops, 3 beers and sausage lunch at the finish.

hotter than hell, $45 gets you a t-shirt, reststops and a nice tan.

the harpoons B2B sounds reasonable. but yea there's going to be profit. what's rider limit? at 1500 riders their take will be $300k and $150k goes to charity

majorpat
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I agree with Ti Designs...not every ride is a charity opportunity. I'm planning a down and dirty social ride this summer (grand fondo-ish but these days it seems faddish to say so) and shooting for $20. Will include a couple of rest stops with minimal supplies, a cycling cap or maybe socks and a post ride, local church supper. I've already had one character suggest a charity to support. Look man, it's a ride, it's cheap and it's meant to get people into biking. What message does it send to new folks if every "cool" event costs you your first born? Hell, they may start to think that there is a charge to just "go riding"!

Rant over, I'll let you know if I get my ride off the ground.

Pat

Ti Designs
01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Rant over, I'll let you know if I get my ride off the ground.

One rant ends, the next rant begins... I've been taking mental notes about charity rides since a number of the fun rides have started to include charity donations. The pattern that's emerging is the focus on the charity, or more to the point the lack of focus on the ride. Not to pick on the PMC, but it's the best example for this. The PMC has a huge donation requirement, so most people focus first on raising the money. As the big day draws near, many people are in panic mode about raising the money - the idea of training for such an event slips their mind. I'm amazed at how many people ask me the day before the event what they should eat on the ride -if they haven't figured that one out in training, it's a bit too late. The fact that so many people finish that ride speaks highly of it's organization, but there are a whole lot of unprepared riders out there.

What people come away with when they do an event like this unprepared is a bad taste from cycling. The first of the Boston-New York Aids rides created hundreds of non-cyclists 'cause the good of the charity was advertised, the ride itself was not. I know a number of people who will never get on a bike again - what they experienced is now their view of cycling. What other sports do people dive into the deep end 'cause they've raised lots of money for a charity? It's simply the wrong way of getting into the sport - too much pressure, not enough of a learning curve, some kind of epic event looming in the near future, and no way out. Does that sound like fun to anyone?

majorpat
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Ti Designs nailed it.

Jeez, I was thinking of doing the charity swim of the English channel, or maybe I'll do the Fight Tourette Syndrome Mt Everest Climb!

Here's an idea, just go take a neighbor for a ride and see if they like it. Oh, and really try not to smoke them in the process you car-boners out there!

Pat

AngryScientist
01-30-2011, 05:04 PM
One rant ends, the next rant begins... I've been taking mental notes about charity rides since a number of the fun rides have started to include charity donations. The pattern that's emerging is the focus on the charity, or more to the point the lack of focus on the ride. Not to pick on the PMC, but it's the best example for this. The PMC has a huge donation requirement, so most people focus first on raising the money. As the big day draws near, many people are in panic mode about raising the money - the idea of training for such an event slips their mind. I'm amazed at how many people ask me the day before the event what they should eat on the ride -if they haven't figured that one out in training, it's a bit too late. The fact that so many people finish that ride speaks highly of it's organization, but there are a whole lot of unprepared riders out there.

What people come away with when they do an event like this unprepared is a bad taste from cycling. The first of the Boston-New York Aids rides created hundreds of non-cyclists 'cause the good of the charity was advertised, the ride itself was not. I know a number of people who will never get on a bike again - what they experienced is now their view of cycling. What other sports do people dive into the deep end 'cause they've raised lots of money for a charity? It's simply the wrong way of getting into the sport - too much pressure, not enough of a learning curve, some kind of epic event looming in the near future, and no way out. Does that sound like fun to anyone?

this is spot-on.

Elefantino
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
$135 for Levi's Gran Fondo.
But the hours waiting on the Internet? Priceless.

Ti Designs
02-08-2011, 04:50 PM
It got worse...

50% of your donation will go to to Team Psycho's Elite Development Fund, 3 athletes are training to qualify for the 2012 Olympics!

OK, let's ignore that they want me to support riders who compete against my own riders. So what kind of "good cause" is this? I hate this focus on the top of the sport, it creates the pressure which in turn creates cheaters. So, if they go on to become pro athletes and then get booted out for drug use, do I get my money back?

AngryScientist
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
It got worse...

OK, let's ignore that they want me to support riders who compete against my own riders. So what kind of "good cause" is this? I hate this focus on the top of the sport, it creates the pressure which in turn creates cheaters. So, if they go on to become pro athletes and then get booted out for drug use, do I get my money back?

i agree with you 100%, and thats the part that really pushed me over the edge to no sign-up this year.

Satellite
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up with your ubber expensive bikes. I guess nobody here would ever do a any of the Cinghiale Tours.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.Ride4theAnimals.com/1.html
come to sunny fl. and ride with us 3 guys from the forum along one the nations most beautiful beaches
i know there will a lot of serottas from the cool guys at chainwheel drive one of the best bike stores i have ever been in
cheers
butch

bikerboy337
02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll be doing it again this year... If I recall, Harpoon doesn't profit from this event, the $200 covers jersey, transport, support, food, beer... and they're requiring a $100 donation for early entrants this year...

personally, I dont have much of an issue with it... the demand is there, it sells out in seconds, so they've decided to require a donation this year if you want to ride it... good for them... lets face it, the deomographic that does this ride is affluent, the demand is there, and its for a good cause... and like i said, i'm 99% sure that they dont profit from the event... (its great marketing and brand building though, so they do get that!)

fourflys
02-09-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.Ride4theAnimals.com/1.html
come to sunny fl. and ride with us 3 guys from the forum along one the nations most beautiful beaches
i know there will a lot of serottas from the cool guys at chainwheel drive one of the best bike stores i have ever been in
cheers
butch

I like it! Too bad I'm a little far away... ;)

Ti Designs
02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up with your ubber expensive bikes.

I was just reading the "not ready" thread and thinking the same thing...

troymac
02-10-2011, 06:18 AM
"Americas most beautiful bike ride "around Lake Tahoe is 115.00. I love this ride can't think of a more gorgeous ride.
The Amgen TOC is using this as the first stage this year pretty cool to have ridden the same roads as the pros as a matter of fact the first three stages I've ridden almost all the roads in these stages.

sg8357
02-10-2011, 07:33 AM
LOL, you guys crack me up with your ubber expensive bikes. I guess nobody here would ever do a any of the Cinghiale Tours.

The ubber expensive bikes are on WeightWeenies Forum, we're the
haut bourgeoisie here.

Cinghiale is vacation time, different category from 'event' rides.

I suppose making the unprepared suffer on charity rides is not
much different from the suffering that is lionized in Peloton,
Roleur and other magazines devoted to all things Pro.

godfrey1112000
02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
RAIN - Ride Across Indiana - 1 day, 160-mile ride. 3 SAG stops, Lunch, and after ride beverages and treats. Very well organized by Bloomington Bicycle Club. $45. You also get a very nice souvenir key chain designating the year, at the finish line only. I plan to display them on the wall and hope to have at least thirty which means I will be riding into my 80's. Already have 4, 2007-2010.

one of the Cheapest and best supported event for the money, although Hotter N Hell is pretty cheap also

after doing it for two years, I can not do this year, going to Martha's Vineyard for 3 weeks starting that weekend

I usually drive to Richmond on Thursday, pedal to the start on Friday, and do the event on Saturday, SUV is at the finish and back to Kansas City that evening

have a great ride