PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy custom rack mounting hardware?

tuxbailey
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a rack for my supposedly commuter bike. It was a transfer from my hybrid/Mtn bike. it uses the straight connecting hardware to the eyelets.

For the longest time I only use one connector because the brake is blocking the path to the left eyelet. I am thinking about getting some panniers to bring clothes along with me instead of leaving them in the office (one way commute.)

So I was wondering if there are existing hardware available to solve this problem?

cnighbor1
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes

Peter P.
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Sometimes you have to mount the seatstay straps asymmetrically as in one attaches to the inside of the threaded boss, the other to the outside. On my bike below, they mount to the inside. If I mounted them on the outside of the bosses, the left one would hit the caliper.

Another alternative is to bend the strap so it clears the brake arm and curves around it.

tuxbailey
01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Sometimes you have to mount the seatstay straps asymmetrically as in one attaches to the inside of the threaded boss, the other to the outside. On my bike below, they mount to the inside. If I mounted them on the outside of the bosses, the left one would hit the caliper.

Another alternative is to bend the strap so it clears the brake arm and curves around it.

Hmm... I gotta try this.

tuxbailey
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
No dice. The bike only have eyelets facing outside of the seat stays...

tuxbailey
01-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, Rivendell doesn't have what I am looking for. I guess I will just go to the hardware store, get some parts and engineer a bridge myself.

jdhansen63
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Not sure if they have what your looking for, but check out:
http://www.thetouringstore.com

Ti Designs
01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
This is why you need a lathe and milling machine in your basement...

tuxbailey
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks. I might stick with one connector. I am not planning to tour, only to commute.

Don49
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=O&Category_Code=MH

Peter P.
01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Why not use the seatstay mount on the right side AND the brake bolt mount? The rack will still be centered but will have the strength of the dual straps. The fact that they're not symmetrically mounted shouldn't cause any handling or load carrying problems.