PDA

View Full Version : Scratched by TSA

TexasJohn
01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I have a friend whose nice carbon frame was all scratched up by those mullet-heads in TSA on a recent trip to Switzerland.

It's probably just the clear coat finish. How does he go about getting it re-cleared, and what is the typical cost?

Volant
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
He should probably have it checked over. Calfee does excellent carbon repair if it's needed.

rice rocket
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
How scratched is it? I doubt it need to be recleared, manufacturers spray TONS of clear on most carbon frames. Unless the scratch is down to the basecoat, you're better of not adding any paint. Sand w/ 2k grit and polish with 3M Rubbing Compound. Follow up with a wax if you wish. Can be found at any automotive parts store.

Oh and next time, tell him to pack a flare gun or a replica gun, declared it the ticket counter, and padlock that bike. TSA won't be able to touch it.

c-record
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh and next time, tell him to pack a flare gun or a replica gun, declared it the ticket counter, and padlock that bike. TSA won't be able to touch it.

To Switzerland? Just don't get re-routed and laid over in New Jersey like a guy from Utah did with a gun legally checked into his baggage.

rice rocket
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
People don't go camping in Switzerland? Damn, I was planning a camping trip!

kgreene10
01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
My frame was cracked by TSA last April. To my amazing surprise I just got a letter today indicating that my claim will be paid in full!

I also had a great experience with TSA in Oakland last month when they actually came out to inspect the bike in front of me and allow me to close up the case myself. The supervisor was extremely nice and helpful. Some individuals are just really cool.

pitcrew
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
My frame was cracked by TSA last April. To my amazing surprise I just got a letter today indicating that my claim will be paid in full!

I also had a great experience with TSA in Oakland last month when they actually came out to inspect the bike in front of me and allow me to close up the case myself. The supervisor was extremely nice and helpful. Some individuals are just really cool.

Always good to hear about the positive outcomes. What kind of frame was cracked?

Bruce K
01-22-2011, 04:46 AM
First, I have 2 words for you - "pipe insulation"

I cover every tube when I fly with a bike.

Second, at most airports you can request that the TSA inspect the bike in front of you (at least that was the case the last time I flew with a bike). If they are not swamped they generally honor the request. You usually don't get to touch it or repack it yourself but you do get to tell them how to repack it.

BK

KevinPak
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
+1 above

Calfee = excellent carbon repair

kgreene10
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Always good to hear about the positive outcomes. What kind of frame was cracked?

It was a Time Edge Racer, cracked across the head tube and not repairable -- at least not for any cost that would make sense. It was a great frame though and if I would find another in an XL, would love to buy it.

troymac
01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
He should probably have it checked over. Calfee does excellent carbon repair if it's needed.
Yes they do an awesome job unfortunately I had to use their service.

ultraman6970
01-23-2011, 01:27 AM
If the carbon is not damaged, yes u can just go and reclear the frame thats not a problem.

Sand it lightly with 800 grit wet sand paper to etch the surface. The clear using car clear coat. Do not use lacquer spray like rustoleum by any means, thats a NO NO. THat paint is darn cheap and wont stand 3 days w/o chipping again. U need polyurethane 2k car type of clear coat, u can get a quart of nason for 40 bucks + the activator (15 bucks), with that u can clear the bike like 20 times.

Follow the manufacturer advices (read the labels), clear, let it dry for at least 12 hours. If all is ok u can leave it like that or sand and polish to get rid off imperfections.

Not hard to do, but a clear coat job is easy to mess it up.

Good luck.