PDA

View Full Version : Hed Belgium rims

miguel
01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking about a "trainer" set on these rims. Anybody with experience? I searched the forum and couldn't find anything satisfactory.

Learn me

Fwiw: rear CK classic road 32h
Front either WI 32h or old nukeproof crabon 28h

Bruce K
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Not sure what you mean by Belgium rims.

If you mean the C2 rims they would make a great set of "trainer" wheels as the rims are pretty much bullet-proof. People use them for cyclocross.

BK

Climb01742
01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm thinking about a "trainer" set on these rims. Anybody with experience? I searched the forum and couldn't find anything satisfactory.

Learn me

Fwiw: rear CK classic road 32h
Front either WI 32h or old nukeproof crabon 28h

give justin at luxe wheelworks a shout. he can learn you.

merckx
01-21-2011, 05:37 AM
If you go with clincher, the wider rim technology is the way to go. The HED C2 rims are stellar. Give Lux wheelworks a shout.

dumbod
01-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Not sure what you mean by Belgium rims.

If you mean the C2 rims they would make a great set of "trainer" wheels as the rims are pretty much bullet-proof. People use them for cyclocross.

BK

Hed calls its standalone C2 rims Belgium. I have a set laced to CK R45 hubs. Great wheels although probably not for weight weenies.

old fat man
01-21-2011, 06:43 AM
assuming you mean wheels for training, not just exclusively for use on a trainer, the wider rims are a nice option. i have a set of velocity a23 that make for a comfy ride (i don't think there is any reason to get the wider rims for use on a trainer).

consider though, you will need to make a fair amount of brake adjustment when swapping back to your narrower profile rims, sometimes even adjusting pad height, not just cable tension.

ergott
01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
They are sometimes called "Belgium" because that's what they say on the decal.

http://ergottwheels.com/images/399_Hed_closeupweb.jpg

They are excellent rims all around. The finish, brake track, joint, and overall roundness before being built up are all top of the class. Being top of the class does come at a price premium. The Velocity A23 is a good alternative. They are less expensive and won't diminish the overall ride of the wheels. Neither rim has been out for many years so time will tell how they stand up in the long run. I'm pretty confident both rims are here to stay.

DRZRM
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm running HED Belgiums rims (built on Record 32 hole hubs by our own John @ Echelon) on my CX bike and they've seen some offroad miles this season (I did not race cross I'm ashamed to say). Not a whole lot of miles yet, but I've been doing my MTB loop on them, and I'm definitely a Clydesdale (6'3" 220-230) and they have held up to a fair amount of abuse already, so far they are great. I'm considering a second pair so I can swap tires quickly (from cross to 25 or 28 mm road tires) without adjusting my brake pads. As far as I'm concerned, all rims should be 23mm wide, I really prefer the shape of the tire profile when I'm running CX or road tires.

bike22
01-21-2011, 08:35 AM
by "trainer" set do you mean a set for riding on a stationary trainer / rollers in the basement in the winter, or a set of wheels for training on the roads?

there's really no advantage that the rims will give you on a stationary trainer- it's best to use a cheap set of wheels for trainer duty.

miguel
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Wow thanks for the responses.

Trainer as in on the road. I have a few hubs and parts hanging around begging to be built up. My race wheels are corsa concepts. I have a "deal" and get wholesale price for most of my parts(this is what you get when you turn a bike shop owner onto bikes, I taught him how to turn a wrench and tighten a cable years ago. I loaned him his first fixed gear :,) they grow up so fast). At wholesale, these rims are a little less expensive than retail OPs(my other fav clincher) but I've never ridden hed rims before and wanted to give them a try.

Sounds like luxe wheelworks is the place to talk to, but I know about the whole -ask a billion questions and then buy the lowest Internet price- that all shop owners deal with.

Another question: wider rim profile. I had mavic a719s on my commuter(RIP) and I could only run 28mm or wider comfortably. Is this the case with the 23mm width ofthe hed Belgium c2s?

Thanks again guys for the info

oldpotatoe
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Wow thanks for the responses.

Trainer as in on the road. I have a few hubs and parts hanging around begging to be built up. My race wheels are corsa concepts. I have a "deal" and get wholesale price for most of my parts(this is what you get when you turn a bike shop owner onto bikes, I taught him how to turn a wrench and tighten a cable years ago. I loaned him his first fixed gear :,) they grow up so fast). At wholesale, these rims are a little less expensive than retail OPs(my other fav clincher) but I've never ridden hed rims before and wanted to give them a try.

Sounds like luxe wheelworks is the place to talk to, but I know about the whole -ask a billion questions and then buy the lowest Internet price- that all shop owners deal with.

Another question: wider rim profile. I had mavic a719s on my commuter(RIP) and I could only run 28mm or wider comfortably. Is this the case with the 23mm width ofthe hed Belgium c2s?

Thanks again guys for the info

If you get the Bro deal, I would get A23 from Velocity. On par with the HED rims and less $.

Some wide rims, when using thin-ish tires, DO have a problem getting the tire to seat all the way around PLUS the wider rim, plushier ride thing is somewhat overplayed. There have been wide rims(you mentioned A719) around for a long time used with 25/28mm tires w/o the raving.

cincytri
01-22-2011, 07:59 AM
I just picked up my new Moots Psychlo-X from the shop. Had my LBS build up a set of 32f/32r King Classic road hubs with DT Comp spokes laced into the Hed Belgium rims. Looks wise, they are the dog's nuts (been wanting to use that phrase ever since seeing it not too long ago). My LBS said that these are very stiff wheels and that the rims have something to do with that. They are a little pricey and took over a month to get into the shop, but I think I'll be happy. I'll report back once I get a few hundred miles logged. I say get 'em...

Edit: I'm running 35c Schwalbe Racing Ralphs FYI...

yakstone
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
"the dog's nuts" - adding that to my arsenal

John H.
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a set of Hed Belgian rims with DT hubs, I like everything about them except Michelin Krylion tires are super tight on them.
You have get pre-built "handspun" wheels with Hed Belgian rims through QBP if you have a shop deal.

blschaefer1
01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a set of the Handspun's also, DT 240 hubs with C2 Belgium rims, 24 front, 28 2-cross rear, DT Aerolite spokes, as descibed above. Think I paid about $750.00 if memory serves. The are just awesome. I had a set of Hed Ardennes before, but never liked the Hed hubs. Problem solved, my favorite go-to wheelset now. Weight is about 1500 grams.

Throw a set of 700x25 Vittoria EVO-CX's on them....run them at 85psi....magic carpet ride.

miguel
02-11-2011, 11:02 AM
so, they're in the shop waiting for me to pay for spokes.

32/32 white industries front/ck classic rear

i am excite

thegunner
02-11-2011, 11:20 AM
went with 24/28 laced to novatec hubs (yes i'm going cheap here) + dt revs all around. final weight'll be around 1430 :) at way cheaper than ksyrium SL's to boot! excited.

LegendRider
02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
"the dog's nuts" - adding that to my arsenal

Is that a compliment or pejorative?!?

thegunner
02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
:hello: had my set built up this week and my oh my are they smooth. + 25 mm tires at 90 psi and they soak up vibrations like a charm.

miguel
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
OH

they're niiiice

nahtnoj
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
i am excite

http://www.h2dj.com/uclaradionews/files/borat-high-five.jpg

znfdl
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I have the HED Belgium Rims and the Velocity A23, cannot tell much of a difference.

I would give Ergott or Flux a call...... They will set up you up nicely.

If you are going somewhat high end on the hubs, look at the Alchemy Hubs....

miguel
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
white industries front
CK rear

loud, but i'm pretty happy

swt
03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I have the HED Belgium Rims and the Velocity A23, cannot tell much of a difference.

I would give Ergott or Flux a call...... They will set up you up nicely.

If you are going somewhat high end on the hubs, look at the Alchemy Hubs....
I've got a pair of Belgiums + Alchemy's coming from Ergott soon.

swithouski
03-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok... so I am really thinking of getting a set of this rims build up to campy record hubs but I am wondering about my brake clearance. I have Campagnolo Record (alloy) dual pivot brakes. Will I have enough clearance? Anyone have any thoughts?

dave thompson
03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok... so I am really thinking of getting a set of this rims build up to campy record hubs but I am wondering about my brake clearance. I have Campagnolo Record (alloy) dual pivot brakes. Will I have enough clearance? Anyone have any thoughts?
It's easy to adjust your calipers to clear the wider rims.

c77barlage
03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I run the wide heds with modern Campy no worries.

swithouski
03-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks. Just crossed my mind since I hadnt seen any with campy :beer: