PDA

View Full Version : Need to gain some knowledge of my bike's drivetrain's vintage

tuxbailey
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I bought my bike used and it was a 2005 Extralight. I assumed the original owner (I am the third) built the bike at the same time using what is available in 2005/2006.

I assume all 10 sp Campy components are interchangeable so I can get today's Centaur parts to replace anything that breaks in my bike. However I am more interested in knowing the correct model of my Chorus shifter in case I have the need to rebuild them (or buy some used ones as back up.) I like how it works now and I don't think I have the needs to upgrade to newer version so I am inclined to rebuild. But if someone can recommend a better 10 sp shifter for replacement I am all ears too.

Hopefully someone can help with some info based on the pictures (the hood shape, etc.)

http://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v14/p386666462-5.jpg

http://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v13/p377053769-4.jpg

Thanks in advance

mpetry
01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Looks like 2003-2005 Chorus. I have the same vintage on my Ottrott. Pretty much everything can be mixed and matched. One of the things I've done is to update the front derailleur cage - since I could not find a new Record derailleur in the 35mm size, I bought the one I wanted in a braze on version and just changed the arms over. Works perfectly.

And updated the brakes and levers too. I've had no trouble mixing and matching.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

AngryScientist
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM
i cant speak to the vintage of your stuff, but its probably the most current vintage of 10-sp chorus gear.

what i can tell you is that the pre 2011 centaur 10-sp stuff is excellent. i love the new hood design, and the shifts are very good. if yours break, that's what i'd be looking for if i were you. thats my plan as well for my Merlin. my bianchi is built with chorus-11, and that is also excellent.

i dig the red accents, looking good. if you were to find a red anodized seatpost clamp, that would be the bees knees.

tuxbailey
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
red seat post clamp...yummy :)

i have updated the bottle cage to red ones :)

BTW, does the Centaur shifter let you sweep 5 cogs at once in the back?

I do like the hoods on these shifters.

AngryScientist
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
BTW, does the Centaur shifter let you sweep 5 cogs at once in the back?

the 2010 and earlier does (new style), 2011 going forward will not.

champ
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
+1 on mpetry's response. Your kit looks to be the version of Chorus just before the QS version came out, around 2006 or 2007. The left ergo on your bike is not QS but the FD may be - if it says "QS" on the arm of the FD then you could rebuild the left shifter with the QS cam but its not a big difference - just a little faster shifts on the front.

The right 10 spd ergo internals are the same for Record or Chorus but Centaur and below (pre-2006) use a bushing instead of bearings and the rest of the parts are otherwise the same. Btw, you cant rebuild your ergos with the "Escape" mechanism which was on Centaur and below after 2006 or so. All 10 spd RD's are interchangeable so any year 10 spd RD will work with your kit. If you do change the RD make sure you keep the same cage length - short or med is what your appears to be, cant really tell from the pic.