PDA

View Full Version : Texting and driving???

Dekonick
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
How about this one?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Girl-Mall-Fountain-Texting-Trip,news-9748.html

RPS
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Better that than driving. :o

William
01-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Texting while refing...

http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/1008/mongolia-images/ref-texting.jpg

Or a new hipster fixie fad....

http://www.mynationlink.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/080730-ped-texting-vmed-12pwidec.jpg

OMG!

http://moneypennydd.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/tongue_texting.jpg?w=360&h=292

http://thenextweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/504x_by_texting_f.jpg

William :)

rice rocket
01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Now looking for a lawsuit...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/20/2011-01-20_woman_seen_in_video_falling_into_mall_water_fou ntain_may_sue.html
:rolleyes:

bigflax925
01-20-2011, 03:10 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/20/2011-01-20_woman_seen_in_video_falling_into_mall_water_fou ntain_may_sue.html

"Her attorney, James Polyak, said a lawsuit could be in the works.
"We're at the very early stage of our investigation," he said, "but we certainly plan to hold any and all people responsible..."

Seriously? :crap:

RPS
01-21-2011, 06:17 AM

As stupid as she may be, I think it’s deplorable that the video was released on You-Tube. The fact that it’s funny doesn’t justify the release IMHO.

I’m mostly against law suits but being a serious advocate for privacy I’d like to see the mall and/or employees pay through the nose so next time some idiot thinks of posting surveillance information like this on the internet they think twice about the consequences.

SEABREEZE
01-21-2011, 07:40 AM
As stupid as she may be, I think it’s deplorable that the video was released on You-Tube. The fact that it’s funny doesn’t justify the release IMHO.

I’m mostly against law suits but being a serious advocate for privacy I’d like to see the mall and/or employees pay through the nose so next time some idiot thinks of posting surveillance information like this on the internet they think twice about the consequences.

The only idiot was the lady who was texting ,and quite deserving

I just called my wife to the computer, to see this video, her first words out of her mouth was GOOD.

You see she was the victum of a head on collision that totalled our F350 A 1 TON TRUCK. Had she not been in that truck she would of been dead. So the investigationg team said. The texter had to be sawed out of her car, and was in the hospital for months.

Its been over a year and 3 months, and my wife is still in sever pain.

I am extremly happy the video was released, for two reasons, it was her fault, and then trying to create a law suit, and the other is bringing awareness to the severity of texting, and not paying attention to what you are doing.

Additionally if you only watched the video, the paragraph above said of a simular experience of texting and walking into a open manhole by a girl.

So you see RPS, if that happened to you or someone in your family, you might be singing a different tune.

RPS
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
The only idiot was the lady who was texting ,and quite deserving

I just called my wife to the computer, to see this video, her first words out of her mouth was GOOD.

You see she was the victum of a head on collision that totalled our F350 A 1 TON TRUCK. Had she not been in that truck she would of been dead. So the investigationg team said. The texter had to be sawed out of her car, and was in the hospital for months.

Its been over a year and 3 months, and my wife is still in sever pain.

I am extremly happy the video was released, for two reasons, it was her fault, and then trying to create a law suit, and the other is bringing awareness to the severity of texting, and not paying attention to what you are doing.

Additionally if you only watched the video, the paragraph above said of a simular experience of texting and walking into a open manhole by a girl.

So you see RPS, if that happened to you or someone in your family, you might be singing a different tune.
It did, and it won’t. My wife ended up with a broken back last May because a distracted driver drove through a red light. I get your anger but I try very hard to prevent my personal experiences from dictating what I judge to be right versus wrong. I’m just one of 300 million Americans so I hope I have the foresight to view issues beyond how they affect me personally. I’m sorry for your accident but that’s a totally different issue; just like this woman being an idiot doesn’t have anything to do with whether it’s right to release the recording. That she happens to be a walking fool has nothing to do with whether anyone should have some rights to some level of privacy while in public settings ATMO.

We all know what privacy is – just like we all know what art or literature is – but we don’t all place the same value on it. In my opinion (granted based on my sense of values) if we don’t respect others’ privacy to a greater degree than what was shown in this fountain-fall case we can’t have a civil society. We live in such close quarters and armed with such technology that unless we respect each other’s privacy we are destine to clash. Unfortunately in my experience it doesn’t make sense to discuss such issues with people who don’t have the same values – we’ll just end up disagreeing and hating each other.

Seabreeze, trust me when I say that I do understand your logic perfectly, I just happen to disagree that it’s in society’s best long-term interest.

2LeftCleats
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with RPS that the issue of the woman's carelessness should be separate from her right to privacy. But I have a couple of thoughts.

I. If somebody does something in public, is there a right to privacy? Don't know the answer, just wondering. It seems one could argue that there were people in the mall who saw this firsthand, so posting the video only widens the audience and make the experience longer lasting.

2. Maybe others' eyes are better than mine but having seen the video, I couldn't pick her out of a lineup. If she shuts up, there's no reason for anyone to know it's her.

rice rocket
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
The ironic thing is no one knew it was her, and no one would've known who she was until she publicly identified herself.

She should sue herself for public humiliation.

Blue Jays
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
"...The ironic thing is no one knew it was her, and no one would've known who she was until she publicly identified herself.
She should sue herself for public humiliation..."Concur 100%.

rugbysecondrow
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I agree with RPS that the issue of the woman's carelessness should be separate from her right to privacy. But I have a couple of thoughts.

I. If somebody does something in public, is there a right to privacy? Don't know the answer, just wondering. It seems one could argue that there were people in the mall who saw this firsthand, so posting the video only widens the audience and make the experience longer lasting.

2. Maybe others' eyes are better than mine but having seen the video, I couldn't pick her out of a lineup. If she shuts up, there's no reason for anyone to know it's her.

When you are in public what privacy is reasonable? It's not like this was her swimming pool at home, it was a public fountain. Fair game and absolutely hilarious. It was even funnier watching her cry about it on the news this morning. Good times.

Tom
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I like the part about her facing felony charges for using somebody else's credit card.

It seems to me that there is no shame in our society any more. People do stuff that in the old days would have them crawling away in shame but now they go on TV.

ergott
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
snipped

You make your point well enough without this last line. Please consider simply stating your point of view next time.
:beer:

R2D2
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM

What's your stance on using surveillance video to convict someone of a rape,murder or robbery in a mall?
They do it all time during disablity cases.
The guy lost his job so he's paying for it.
BTW After 9/11 and Homeland Security there is no privacy. The man is watching.
Anyway I don't really care as I'm not the dumbass that fell in.

RPS
01-22-2011, 08:03 AM
.....snipped......
I have a couple of thoughts.

You raise excellent points IMO. I don’t have an answer on what is the proper amount of “privacy” we should expect from surveillance videos, but think that if our issue is with texting while driving (which I happen to have a serious issue with along with talking on cell phones while driving), then the correct response is to pass laws against that behavior instead of ridiculing a “less-than-bright” woman who was clearly NOT texting while driving. Unless we now want to pass laws against texting while walking. :rolleyes:

Part of the issue for me is that audio and especially video recordings retell an incident in a completely different light that is not equal to a verbal (spoken or written) description. This can be both good and bad depending on how it is used. If JFK’s “ask not what your country” or MLK’s “I have a dream” speeches were not recorded to be seen over and over again they probably wouldn’t have the same significance today. Like a million previous speeches that were only reported in newspaper text form we’d probably have forgotten them to a greater degree. Also when we see a video of police officers beating the crap out of a young black submissive suspect or a grandmother it brings out a rage from us all that merely reading or hearing about can’t. Remember the cop pushing the cyclist off his bike? That got us all riled up, right?

If viewed from a “privacy angle” I see a clear distinction between our willingness to speak about something and it not meaning we are OK with a video showing up on the Internet. As an extreme example to show the difference, Jane may openly tell her friends she had sex with John but wouldn’t necessarily want the video of it shown on You Tube. More realistically and easier to relate to, I often take a leak on the side of a “public” road while out riding but wouldn’t want a friend recording it on a cell phone camera and posting to You Tube. I expect “some” privacy even when in public spaces.

As I understand the events, she works at the mall so people there already knew who she is. She had also “told” family and friends about the fall in the two days prior to it showing up unexpectedly on You Tube. By then she can’t take it back. If she had known it was going to be broadcast, she could have at least kept her mouth quiet. However, in a way she was kind of ambushed by mall security two days after the fact.

For what it's worth, I'm not defending her in any way. I'm just trying to defend any rights to "SOME" privacy we may have left.

Chad Engle
01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Anything you do in public may be recorded, you should conduct yourself accordingly.

I have no sympathy for her, she compounds her own problem by going further publicly about it.

When in "public" you have no right to "privacy". The terms contradict one another, I don't believe you can have both at the same time.

As far as the video going viral, she was in public, see paragraph 3.

Would I feel differently if it were my grandmother, not if she was texting.

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I like the part about her facing felony charges for using somebody else's credit card.

It seems to me that there is no shame in our society any more. People do stuff that in the old days would have them crawling away in shame but now they go on TV.

She and her hubby in the TV report . . . are these people SERIOUS?!? Mall security should have come to her aid immediately?!? Give me a f**king BREAK! Aid for WHAT? She got up and walked away!

She's an idiot for thinking in this day and age she could walk through a mall and NOT be watched by a security camera of some sort. This whole thing would have gone no farther than a couple of her friends if she had not gone public herself, plainly with no other goals than to make a buck off of it off of somebody.

I mean, how much more obviously personally profiteering can you get? Welcome to 21st century America, where it's all about ME, ME, ME . . . :crap: :no:

While most shopping malls may indeed be private property, numerous court precedents have established that if you are in a public place and viewable by the public then you have NO expectation of privacy. I think she's going to have a VERY hard time finding 12 people within 500 miles for a jury who don't think a shopping mall meets the definition of a "public place."

BBD