PDA

View Full Version : White Industries ENO hub?

FierteTi52
05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I've been considering converting my 1991 Hors into a fixie. I already have to many bikes and figure the Hors could make a nice riding fixie. Because of the vertical dropouts I was hoping to use the White Industries ENO hub. After reading the thread on fixies, there seems to mixed opinions regarding the hub. I'm aware of the brake alingment issues, but it seems once the bike was set up it should work fine. I went the route of various chainring cog combos on another bike with vertical dropouts and ended up having to do a bit of filing on the dropouts to get it to work. Anyone care to share their experiences with the ENO?
Jeff

flydhest
05-16-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm sort of curious if the travel in the DKS suspension might be enough to derail a chain. I know I can feel mine when it depresses, but I'm not sure. Please let me know how this works for you, as I've had the same thought with my 'cross Hors Cat.

dirtdigger88
05-16-2005, 05:41 PM
who was the guy who posted the video of him riding his HC Single Speed off the picnic table- It didnt look like he was having any troubles with the rear end movement-

Jason

flydhest
05-16-2005, 06:04 PM
dirt, I stand (well, actually, I'm sitting) corrected.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5953

vandeda
05-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm sort of curious if the travel in the DKS suspension might be enough to derail a chain. I know I can feel mine when it depresses, but I'm not sure. Please let me know how this works for you, as I've had the same thought with my 'cross Hors Cat.

would something like Surly's 1x1 Singleator help here? It'll allow the chain length to vary as the suspension compresses ... and if you then decide to run a different size cog, the Singleator will likely take up the slack without having to mess with the chain ... maybe ... depending on how many teeth you change on the cog .... idk, just a thought

dan

Ray
05-16-2005, 07:16 PM
would something like Surly's 1x1 Singleator help here? It'll allow the chain length to vary as the suspension compresses ... and if you then decide to run a different size cog, the Singleator will likely take up the slack without having to mess with the chain ... maybe ... depending on how many teeth you change on the cog .... idk, just a thought

Singleators are great for taking up the slack on a freewheeling single speed, but won't work at all on a fixed gear. Applying back-pressure pretty much renders them useless and dangerous. To quote Sheldon Brown's website:

"Note! Chain tensioners cannot be used with fixed-gear or coaster brake systems!
They don't maintain tension when there is backward force applied to the pedals, and the chain can derail as a result."

-Ray

FierteTi52
05-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I didn't think about the rear travel on the Hors. Considering it is only a few millimeters, I doubt it would cause problems with chain tension. If I proceed with this project, it's going to be fixed, so the Surly tensioner isn't an option.
Jeff

TimB
05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd also suspect that the compression on the Hors won't be enough to cause serious problems...if it's only a few mm. One note - in the video of the guy jumping off the picnic table, he's riding single speed freewheel and coasting on the landing, so it's impossible from the video to know what would happen riding fixed.

You might send him a message and ask if he's done any fixed riding...

Marron
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
As I mentioned yesterday my (brief) experience with the ENO didn't convince me that it offers much advantage over the right combination of cog and chainring to acheive the suitable chain tension with vertical dropouts.

I would suggest that to reduce the potential for throwing a chain with the compliant back end you avoid using a standard road chainring. The teeth and ramps are designed to do precisely that. You could source a track crank and work from there or just seek out cross-drilled BMX chainrings which will work with 130 BCD cranks. GT used to make chainrings with this configuration that are still fairly easy to find and Harris Cyclery sells the Rocket Rings in this pattern.

bpm
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I've been using the ENO hub for a couple of years now and it has worked perfectly. I can't speak to the issue of brake alignment because I don't have a rear brake on my fixed gear. I tried working with different cog and chainring combinations but I never really got it where I wanted it. No matter what I tried the chain always felt just a little too loose or a little to tight. I'd definitely recommend the ENO hub rather than playing with chainring/cog combinations.

bshell
05-17-2005, 11:38 PM
i have an eric's eccentric from white industries and it has worked just fine so far.

the problem i had with the idea of the "right" ring and cog combo, (besides being completely limiting) is that at some point your chain will wear/stretch and you will lose that proper tension you had. you can't get it back unless you buy a new drive train.