PDA

View Full Version : a day near the bay, Alpine Lake Mt. Tam, Marin County

eddief
01-19-2011, 08:01 PM
seemed like 12 million feet of climbing with this being the only level spot in 40 miles...prone to exaggeration? Really only sea level to W summit at about 2500 ft. Start in Mill Valley, do the climb to the top, return via Alpine Lake, Fairfax, Camino Alto back to Mill Valley. An awesome day to cycle on a mid-winter day in the Bay Area.

anomaly
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
seemed like 12 million feet of climbing with this being the only level spot in 40 miles...prone to exaggeration? Really only sea level to W summit at about 2500 ft. Start in Mill Valley, do the climb to the top, return via Alpine Lake, Fairfax, Camino Alto back to Mill Valley. An awesome day to cycle on a mid-winter day in the Bay Area.
I can take that route on my bike commute home, its pretty nice living in San Anselmo.

akelman
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
You Bay Areans have been exporting your infernal fog over the Coast Range and ruining my good weather lately! Keep your filthy fog to yourself!

kgreene10
01-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I grew up in Fairfax two blocks from the bottom of the Bolinas Rd climb. I would often ride up the mountain past Alpine, down to Bolinas and then come back or do the loop out to Pt Reyes, Nicasio, and Lagunitas.

I miss it so bad that your post has me all choked up. It's one of the greatest places to ride. When we visit and I bring my bike, I halfway consider taking a huge career hit to move back.

eddief
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
http://yu-rides.blogspot.com/2011/01/mt-tamalpais-via-mill-valley.html

only 4350 feet of climbing in 40 miles.

roundabout
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
I was there last month, Mt. Tam is really a gorgeous climb. We descended along HWY 1, which was great as well. Not as many rollers as further north, but still a wonderful time.