PDA

View Full Version : campy power torque?

vqdriver
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
has anyone tried campy's new cranks yet? any impressions, thoughts? worth buying or get one of the numerous UT closeout cranks?

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 07:46 AM
has anyone tried campy's new cranks yet? any impressions, thoughts? worth buying or get one of the numerous UT closeout cranks?

Installed a couple and they are typical nice Campagnolo stuff. Campagnolo now has a plug to pull 'em. They are not going to work any better or worse than UT stuff altho I don't think you can replace the bearing in the LH cup..gotta get a new cupset if ya kill the LH one. RH one is still replaceable.

AngryScientist
01-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Installed a couple and they are typical nice Campagnolo stuff. Campagnolo now has a plug to pull 'em. They are not going to work any better or worse than UT stuff altho I don't think you can replace the bearing in the LH cup..gotta get a new cupset if ya kill the LH one. RH one is still replaceable.

do people really replace one crank bearing? to me, i wouldnt even think about it, i consider replacement of bearings as a "set" mandatory. no?

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
do people really replace one crank bearing? to me, i wouldnt even think about it, i consider replacement of bearings as a "set" mandatory. no?

I have replaced many single bearings on UT cranks. If the other is OK, no need to replace. Another nice thing about UT. I use Wheels Manufacturing bearings also..seals on both sides unlike Campagnolo bearings.

AngryScientist
01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I have replaced many single bearings on UT cranks. If the other is OK, no need to replace. Another nice thing about UT. I use Wheels Manufacturing bearings also..seals on both sides unlike Campagnolo bearings.

good to know. both of my UT cranksets are performing very well with smooth bearings, but i'll keep this in mind for the future. also good to know the wheel man. bearings will work. i dont expect a failure anytime soon (knocking on wood), but you'll be the first guy i call when i need a set. :beer:

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
good to know. both of my UT cranksets are performing very well with smooth bearings, but i'll keep this in mind for the future. also good to know the wheel man. bearings will work. i dont expect a failure anytime soon (knocking on wood), but you'll be the first guy i call when i need a set. :beer:

They work but Wheels stopped making them. I bought about 75, they have about 20 left and after that no mas and ya gotta get the Campagnolo ones.

mpetry
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Dumb question here, why the heck would they wear out so quickly? Or you guys must put in big miles on them ?

Is it the lack of an inner seal that allows the entry of dirt ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

vqdriver
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
on a related note, when removed from the bike, how freely should the bearings spin?

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Dumb question here, why the heck would they wear out so quickly? Or you guys must put in big miles on them ?

Is it the lack of an inner seal that allows the entry of dirt ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Poor sealing and lack of grease all around, in and thru these bearings plus making sure the BB shell is faced...all help longevity of these and mosy bearings.

And they should feel smooth in the fingers, no gritty-ness at all. If there is, replace.

Black Dog
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Ultra Torque is great. Easy on and off. Grease the bearings often and they will last a long time. If you have lateral play in the cranks then you may need an extra wavy washer to prevent the "ultra torque creak/ticking".

oldpotatoe
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Ultra Torque is great. Easy on and off. Grease the bearings often and they will last a long time. If you have lateral play in the cranks then you may need an extra wavy washer to prevent the "ultra torque creak/ticking".

If the BB shell is proper you won't have this. Also the latest cups, kinda sage green in color. Of the perhaps 100 or so UT cranks I have installed I've never had to add a washer.

If you do have a BB shell issue, spacer under the LH cup, not inside the cup, IMO.

akelman
01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
So I just bought a new Campy CX crank, which is Power Torque (I've just noticed). Will it mate up with the Record ut cups I have for it? Or are there Power Torque specific cups?

Sorry to be dim, but the changes in the Campy line seem to render me witless.

thegunner
01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
So I just bought a new Campy CX crank, which is Power Torque (I've just noticed). Will it mate up with the Record ut cups I have for it? Or are there Power Torque specific cups?

there are powertorque specific cups which, ironically, are more expensive than their record counterparts.

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 07:17 PM

I got a new set of cups for an old steel italian bb shell and I noticed that the fit somehow is tighter with this new ones. I have not checked the wavy washer but im under the impression is more rubust than the old ones. This is sometihng i want to know anyways, it could be because the BB shell is 70 mm and not 68 that it feels tighter?

UT doesnt turn like regular squared tapper for example but in english BB shell i noticed it turns kind'a tight, in the italian feels tighter. Is because of the BB shell + a new version of those cups?

mpetry
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
68 and 70 mm are the width of the BB shell, not the diameter.

Nothing spins like a properly adjusted old school Campy BB. What you are feeling in the UT spindle is probably wiper drag, or if the BB shell is not faced properly, the bearings are out of alignment.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

akelman
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
there are powertorque specific cups which, ironically, are more expensive than their record counterparts.

This is not the news I was hoping for. I blame you, messenger.

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Hehe... probably somebody here knows a non expensive crank extractor for those cranks.

akelman
01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Okay, imaginary friends, I have two sets of uninstalled outboard Campy cups (in anticipation of building a couple of bikes). One of these sets says 1.370"x24 TPI (and then right or left, depending on the cup). The other set says 36x24 T (and then right or left, depending on the cup). Both sets are a lovely shade of...pewter? And presumably neither set is Power Torque, right? And thus I have to buy still another set of cups? I believe it's at this point in the conversation that the kids would say something along the lines of fml.

akelman
01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
And here's another question: do I actually need the Power Torque cups? Or will the Ultra Torque cups work well enough with Power Torque cranks that I shouldn't worry about any of this nonsense. I ask because looking at the bb cups on my only bike already built with Power Torque cranks, I note that the bb cups say 1.370"x24 TPI, which, you'll note above, is what one of my uninstalled sets says on it. So either I'm already running Power Torque cranks with Ultra Torque cups (which seems likely, and leaves me wondering if I'm about to rip the fabric of space of time because of this horrifying error), or I've got a set of Power Torque cups in reserve (which seems very, very unlikely).

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
The two sets u have in there... the 24 tpi is english/iso/bsa the 36 one is italian. None is compatable because the shells are different, probably u know that. I asume both are ultra torque. Ultra torque does not work with power torque, u need a new set of cups. Ultra torque cups are just plaun cups w/o any bearing in there. just some grease and a wavy washer inside.

Power torque cups, one has a bearing, the other one doesnt.

Now, I imagine u know if the BB shell in the bike you will install this is english or italian, right?

Okay, imaginary friends, I have two sets of uninstalled outboard Campy cups (in anticipation of building a couple of bikes). One of these sets says 1.370"x24 TPI (and then right or left, depending on the cup). The other set says 36x24 T (and then right or left, depending on the cup). Both sets are a lovely shade of...pewter? And presumably neither set is Power Torque, right? And thus I have to buy still another set of cups? I believe it's at this point in the conversation that the kids would say something along the lines of fml.

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
And here's another question: do I actually need the Power Torque cups? Or will the Ultra Torque cups work well enough with Power Torque cranks that I shouldn't worry about any of this nonsense. I ask because looking at the bb cups on my only bike already built with Power Torque cranks, I note that the bb cups say 1.370"x24 TPI, which, you'll note above, is what one of my uninstalled sets says on it. So either I'm already running Power Torque cranks with Ultra Torque cups (which seems likely, and leaves me wondering if I'm about to rip the fabric of space of time because of this horrifying error), or I've got a set of Power Torque cups in reserve (which seems very, very unlikely).

U cant run power torque cups with UT cranks, that simple. Imagine power torque like shimano outboard cups but instead of having 2 cups with the bearings u have only one cup with a bearing, the other cup has nothing.

1.370"x24 TPI <-- english BB shell.

Is pretty easy to know if you are using one or the other one, power torque uses a bolt in the non drive side crank arm. UT has nothing a hole that goes from side to side. Besides the cranks are marked with a laser UT or whatever.

I believe you need to figure it out some stuff because u are clearly confused and dont know what u have. (sorry didnt want to sound rude ok?)

What do your cranks say??? they are marked i believe, take a picture of the non drive crank, post it and we can figure it out for you.

Ralph
01-20-2011, 08:01 PM
No need for confusion....It's all on the Campy 2011 web site.

Looks like the CX cranks have their own specific cups...better seals than the regular Power TQ cups.

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
No need for confusion....It's all on the Campy 2011 web site.

Looks like the CX cranks have their own specific cups...better seals than the regular Power TQ cups.

Missed something important... campangolo has cx cranks now? Hmm... have to look that one up...

OK looked that one up... easy answer, cx cranksets are power torque and the cups are... CX Power-Torque™ BB outboard cups as ralph mentioned. did not know about this new crankset, interesting.

thegunner
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
This is not the news I was hoping for. I blame you, messenger.

ha, i do try.

akelman
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
U cant run power torque cups with UT cranks, that simple. Imagine power torque like shimano outboard cups but instead of having 2 cups with the bearings u have only one cup with a bearing, the other cup has nothing.

And yet, there they are, plain as day: Power Torque cranks in what has to be an Ultra Torque set of cups. Regardless, I'd better get the right ones.

Thanks.

akelman
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
And here's another wrinkle: the set of Power Torque cranks I already have (not the CX cranks, which are on the way) are from the 2010 model year. Does this change anything? Because looking at the Campy site, it seems that the new cups are designed for the 2011 Power Torque cranks.

Sigh, why does Campagnolo hate me so much when all I do is lavish it with love? I'm so filled with love for Campagnolo! Why do you treat me like this?

thegunner
01-20-2011, 08:29 PM
And here's another wrinkle: the set of Power Torque cranks I already have (not the CX cranks, which are on the way) are from the 2010 model year. Does this change anything? Because looking at the Campy site, it seems that the new cups are designed for the 2011 Power Torque cranks.

Sigh, why does Campagnolo hate me so much when all I do is lavish it with love? I'm so filled with love for Campagnolo! Why do you treat me like this?

i thought power torque was just intro'd in 2011?

akelman
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
i thought power torque was just intro'd in 2011?

And you're right. Mystery solved. The cranks I have in house already are in fact UT rather than PT, which is why the cups are UT. Okay, that's a relief. Now I just need to get the right cups for the CX cranks that are on their way.

nm87710
01-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Good Luck

vqdriver
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
anyone know why only the aluminum centaur PT has this silver ring around the inside of the outer chainring? kinda cheapens it

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/products/images/small/CAMPCHAR886_1_zoom.jpg

ultraman6970
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
To make it look cool and cheesy at the same time! :D U have to give them credit because it is really hard for campy actually do such a thing :D

oldpotatoe
01-21-2011, 07:30 AM

PT specific cups are needed. bearing in into the LH cup.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2011, 07:32 AM

With a bearing in the LH cup instead of on the crank arm, why is that 'ironic?

oldpotatoe
01-21-2011, 07:36 AM

No 'Powertorque' in 2010, it ws introduced in 2011. This information is abundant on the Campagnolo web site as well as many MO places, like Competitve Cyclist.

thegunner
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
With a bearing in the LH cup instead of on the crank arm, why is that 'ironic?

because it's technically on the 'lower' tiered campy groups. i wasn't talking about manufacturing costs or the actual technical considerations that go into the design ;)

Ralph
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
For my riding, my ability and fairly level rolling hill terrain where I live and ride, I don't need any more than about a 100" top gear (52X14, 48-49X13, 45X12, etc), so I would just as soon use a CX crank for road use with 36-46 chainrings with a cassette starting with 12, as the 50-34 or 39-53 in front. I stay in the big ring now most of the time after I get going.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
because it's technically on the 'lower' tiered campy groups. i wasn't talking about manufacturing costs or the actual technical considerations that go into the design ;)

But, the bearing is in the cup so it's gotta be more $, no? Essentially a similar bearing that is pressed onto the LH crank of Chorus.

Except for SuperRecord, all UT cups are the same and all PT cups are the same...Centaur/Veloce.