PDA

View Full Version : Bar Width - 46cm vs 44cm

94crl
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I have been riding a bike that has bars 46cm c-c, and I find them comfortable. I know they are appropriate for my size and was fitted for a 46cm. I have a set of 44cm bars that I was considering using on another build but I'm not sure if that loss of 1cm on each side is really going to matter.

I know I could trade the bars out for a 46cm with someone, but the levers are already mounted and the convenience of just attaching these is really compelling.

Will the 44cm bars work, or should I go to 46cm?

Thanks! :beer:

bambam
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I have bikes with 40,42,43,44 and 45 cm with bars. I Feel the 43's are right because when I ride directly away from the Sun I can just barely see there shadow. That being said, I feel I get more leverage and prefer the wider bars on my fixies for the extra help in climbing steep hills. For the geared bikes I don not notice as much difference. I put around 40,000 miles on my brevet bike with 43's then got a replacement bike and put 42's becuse they were silver and I needed silver for the look. I have put 8000 mile on that bike and have had no issue's. Now with the 40's if my arms are tucked in and in contact with my ribs I find that uncomfortable but those bars are a short distance beater so I don't worry as much, plus I could allways flare out my elbows if needed. I think giving it a try should'nt hurt.

Ken Robb
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
since you have them ready give them a try. I think they will be fine unless you are huge and the 46cm bars were just barely big enough.

94crl
01-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm 6' 4", wear a 46 coat. I'll try it, can always redo it if needed. Thanks!

old_fat_and_slow
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Definitely WON'T work, so send them my way, and I'll find a use for 'em. :)

PM me for my address. You wouldn't mind payin' the shipping either, would ya?

oliver1850
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

djg21
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I have been riding a bike that has bars 46cm c-c, and I find them comfortable. I know they are appropriate for my size and was fitted for a 46cm. I have a set of 44cm bars that I was considering using on another build but I'm not sure if that loss of 1cm on each side is really going to matter.

I know I could trade the bars out for a 46cm with someone, but the levers are already mounted and the convenience of just attaching these is really compelling.

Will the 44cm bars work, or should I go to 46cm?

Thanks! :beer:

If you measure them, they may be the same! If you have a 46cm bar, it is one made by a manufacturer that measures from outside edge to outside edge of the drops (TTT for example). Many other manufacturers measure center to center. A 46cm bar measured outside to outside is the same as a 44cm bar measured from center to center. Why don't you measue the two sets of bars before you obsess over nothing.

luv2bike
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
It depends somewhat on your preferred riding position. If you spend most of your time on the bar tops or hoods you likely will notice no difference. If you are in the drops a lot than the 44's might constrict your breathing a bit.
i.e. when you are riding your bar tops you are already a fair bit inboard of the hoods usually with no discomfort.

vqdriver
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
best thing i ever did to improve my comfort on the bike was to go 44 from a 42. i have a compact handlebar on one bike which flares at the tip to get the 44 size but is actually 42 up top and i do notice it.

i think you'd notice, but it's kinda up to you if it bothers you. as suggested, try em since you already have em.

94crl
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
If you measure them, they may be the same! If you have a 46cm bar, it is one made by a manufacturer that measures from outside edge to outside edge of the drops (TTT for example). Many other manufacturers measure center to center. A 46cm bar measured outside to outside is the same as a 44cm bar measured from center to center. Why don't you measue the two sets of bars before you obsess over nothing.

Both are 3T or 3TTT or TTT...nearly identical in terms of reach and the 44's are just a shade shallower in drop. On they'll go and I can't wait to give it a ride.

Bob Ross
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I only have one data point to offer, but fwiw:

I should ride a 42cm bar, based on my size/shoulder width/every fit system known to man. On two of my bikes I have a 42cm bar, and it feels right.

But on one of my bikes I have a 44cm. And it feels...just slightly-less-than-right. Not awful. Not ideal. I probably could continue to ride that bike forever without changing those bars to a 42cm and barely give it a second thought. It's just not that much different than the ideal size. If I rode that bike more (or if I had money burning a hole in my pocket) I would certainly change them to a 42cm bar. But it's my backup/foul weather/winter/commuter bike, and as such it doesn't get as much attention vis a vis upgrades and whatnot. It's fine. Not great, but fine.

On the other hand, when I first got that bike it came with 38cm bars, and they were so wrong as to be practically unrideable.