PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Shipping to Italy?

rice rocket
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm selling something on eBay and someone contacted me about shipping to Italy. Normally I'm not hesitant to ship Europe (I've shipped to the UK and Switzerland without incident), but I've more recently noticed that a lot of sellers on eBay won't ship to Italy. Anyone know the story behind this?

I've got some people from Indonesia bidding too; I really don't want to ship there...

daylate$short
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I saw your question last night so I asked a couple guys from Fiat that I work with. They said "no problem, we order stuff on the internet all the time and we get it just fine." No issues with packages being held hostage for duty or stuff like that. They usually get it delivered UPS, DHL or FedEx.

That said, It could be a problem with people in Italy claiming they didn't get their stuff causing problems. One need not look any further than their Prime Minister to realize that some strange stuff goes on there.

Ken Robb
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I saw your question last night so I asked a couple guys from Fiat that I work with. They said "no problem, we order stuff on the internet all the time and we get it just fine." No issues with packages being held hostage for duty or stuff like that. They usually get it delivered UPS, DHL or FedEx.

That said, It could be a problem with people in Italy claiming they didn't get their stuff causing problems. One need not look any further than their Prime Minister to realize that some strange stuff goes on there.

I think he used to double-date with Clinton. :)

rePhil
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I sold my old film cameras and lenses on E Bay. The best prices came from overseas. I specifically remember a shipment to Italy. It was over 2k. I mailed through USPS.I was fortunate it was going to a University, and the winning bidder was listed up on their web site.I am trying to remember but I don't think delivery confirmation was available. I felt my gear went for much more than it would have in the States.

Steelman
01-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Check the eBay shipping forum for Italy horror stories:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum/Packaging-Shipping/96

I quit shipping there, while nothing was ever lost, it took forever to get there.

rice rocket
01-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the link.

Guy requested that I ship it UPS or DHL, so seems like he knows about the issues w/ the post system.

Also, here's the list of prohibited items (which is probably half the reason things are "lost"...wonder what they do with it all after they confiscate it). A lot of it is really ridiculous; something I would expect out of North Korea or something, not Italy.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm#ep1391182

No albums (of photos, postcards, etc)
No artificial flowers
No clocks
No footwear
No sewn items
No leather goods
No playing cards
No ribbons for typewriters
No toys that aren't entirely wooden

etc..etc.

What.
The.
Hell.
Italy.

KevinPak
01-22-2011, 08:55 AM
I usually stay away from shipping to Italy.

Int. shipping in general = 50/50 at times usually with tracking issues when it leaves the seller's country + customs/fees & vise versa.