PDA

View Full Version : American Classic wheels

Beebohs
02-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Any feedback out there on American Classic 350 Standard clinchers?
They seem a very good wheelset for the money. Light and great review from Pez. I'm interested in new, light, stiff wheels but want to avoid high dollar carbon, tubulars, and such.
Thoughts

Ken Lehner
02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I purchased a pair in August 2002, and have used them quite a bit since then. They have no durability issues that I've seen. I'd say they are the best weight/cost deal going, and they have the added benefit of being clinchers. My only concern is with braking on long descents. It may have been my old brake pads, but I had some serious brake fade (once coming down Page Mill Road, if you know the area!) a few times.

I weigh about 175lbs.

Richard
02-03-2004, 09:10 AM
They are light, but they are not stiff. They can be flexed during hard out of the saddle efforts. Depending on how big you are and how tight you run your brakes, you might get some rub. You'd have to be really strong/big and run your brakes really close, though.

I have a pair that I've abused for two seasons and they have held up very well. No potholes, but many hard training and racing miles. I don't find them overly flexy, but I have a friend who does complain (He is BIG and STRONG and fancies himself a sprinter).