PDA

View Full Version : Sideview Mirror

CJV
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Do many or any of you use a sideview mirror while riding, either attached to your shades or helmet or bar-ends? Since I have hearing loss and a slightly stiff neck from a crash, I have been using the all-metal version of the sideview for years. It's funny, but when I ride in a small group I am the one to warn of a car back; those with me rely on their better hearing, which the wind often negates. I wouldn't drive a car without a sideview mirror; I feel the same about riding a bicycle.

ada@prorider.or
05-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Do many or any of you use a sideview mirror while riding, either attached to your shades or helmet or bar-ends? Since I have hearing loss and a slightly stiff neck from a crash, I have been using the all-metal version of the sideview for years. It's funny, but when I ride in a small group I am the one to warn of a car back; those with me rely on their better hearing, which the wind often negates. I wouldn't drive a car without a sideview mirror; I feel the same about riding a bicycle.

i did also sold them
but use it as a help
always look back for important change of route
but to keep a eye on the road back its great

flydhest
05-16-2005, 01:01 PM
CJV,

There was a long thread about this recently. There are some strong proponents of mirror use on the board. You definitely seem like a prime candidate if you have hearing issues and less flexibility to turn around quickly and frequently.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7445

There are those who swear by them and there are some good reasons to use them. I don't, but I notice that I tend to look behind me multiple times per city block on my commute, so I reckon it does roughly the same thing.

colocraig
05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I've been using a mirror that attaches to my helmet (or glasses) for over 30 years now and wouldn't be without it. I would feel safer riding with the mirror and no helmet than vice versa. Getting advance warning of whats coming up behind and how much room they are giving you is invaluable to me. My current favorite is the Cycleaware Reflex model. It flips up out of the way when you want, is easy to adjust, holds its positon well and provides a large clear view.