PDA

View Full Version : CF fork help

tbushnel
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I am working on upgrading my Litespeed Eddy Merckx Titanium road bike that I recently acquired. It originally had a carbon fork, but the previous owner had replaced it with a steel fork. I am in search of opinions about whether a CF fork would likely do a better job of road dampening than steel, and what carbon forks I should consider if that is the way I end up going.
It is a threaded headset if that makes a difference.
Thanks,

CarlosContreros
05-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey tbush!
I'm kind of going through the same dilemna!
I just received an '05 Merckx MX Leader(62cm....Molteni!) and
it is basically "brand new" with the Max fork.

But!..I'm concerned the frame might be too small for me...and
I'm considering putting my threaded F-1 carbon fork on it to
possibly make for a more "plush" ride than the steel fork would give...
and..I think the fork is such that will lengthen my wheelbase a bit more!

Of course..the Merckx came with a "threadless" 1'' fork...but I might
put in a 1" threaded headset and my Serotta 1" threaded fork.
I think with steel that's the way to go..posssibly with a Ti frame
a steel fork is a good alternative?
I'm sure some of the ti owners will chime in with their "opines"!!

tbushnel
05-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Carlos,
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will give my current setup (steel fork) awhile to really see what I think of the ride characteristics. If I think more about CF fork I will look into the F1 you mentioned.
Regards,
Ted
:banana: :banana: (I love these bannana guys!)

Robert Tilley
05-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I acquired a used Serotta Atlanta about a year ago on which the owner had replaced the original steel fork with a Kestrel carbon fork. Prior to this bike I had never ridden a carbon fork before. After a year of use I can still feel no difference between the carbon fork & any steel fork I have used. It is definitely better than the aluminum forks I have used though.

I don't think the carbon fork gives me any benefit over a steel fork with the exception of a minimum weight savings. On the negaitive side I think it's uglier and if it breaks on me at speed I'm toast. I received the original steel fork in the deal as well and I am seriously thinking about putting it on in place of the carbon fork.

Robert "new member" Tilley

Big Dan
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Robert, I 've used a Kestrel carbon fork in place of the factory steel fork.
When you get a chance try the bike with the original steel fork.
IMO the ride is better, for one the Kestrel is longer than the original Serotta fork.
Meaning that it raises the front end. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it..... :)
I'm sure someone like Mr. Kirk can get more technical.......