PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bringheli frames anybody have one?

nervexpro55
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
I just found out Joe Bringheli makes frames. Wondering if anybody on the list has one? And also when his history of building began?
Thanks

DRietz
01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
I've only ever seen one, and that was in Colorado over the summer.

He does have a site, though. Seems as if he's just selling tubing and jigs now...
http://www.bringheli.com/

maximus
01-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Going to dig this one up from last year...

Purchased a mystery frame locally. Some cool features I couldn't resist like the fastback seatstays and the 130 rear spacing. No real indicator as to what it could be outside of a "W" on the bottom bracket. After quite a bit of research, I ended up on Joe Bringheli's site, shot him an email and he confirmed it is one of his.

Pretty cool.

Anyone else out there with a Bringheli? Any experience with him. Seems like a nice guy.

For those that do not know (like myself up until last night), Bringheli is the U.S. importer of Dedacciai tubes and maker of frame building tools. He also sells lugs. From what I gather he isnt building frames so much anymore these days as the rest of his business keeps him busy.

Jawn P
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Joe is local and works closely with a few hobby framebuilding buds.

Not 100 percent sure it is accurate, so you would be best served to call, but last I heard, if you call and speak to him about building a frame, he very well may. VERY reasonably priced too.

maximus
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Good call - I don't want to speak for the guy's availability at all. Is sounds like he is up for making frames - just not as his main gig. Here is a cool video interview from the 2010 Custom show in San Diego where he mentions making frames:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeiXCq62sE

JLP
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
The guy is a true gentleman and a professional, for sure.

buldogge
01-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Very cool... What was the significance of the 'W' ???

-Mark in St. Louis

Going to dig this one up from last year...

Purchased a mystery frame locally. Some cool features I couldn't resist like the fastback seatstays and the 130 rear spacing. No real indicator as to what it could be outside of a "W" on the bottom bracket. After quite a bit of research, I ended up on Joe Bringheli's site, shot him an email and he confirmed it is one of his.

Pretty cool.

Anyone else out there with a Bringheli? Any experience with him. Seems like a nice guy.

For those that do not know (like myself up until last night), Bringheli is the U.S. importer of Dedacciai tubes and maker of frame building tools. He also sells lugs. From what I gather he isnt building frames so much anymore these days as the rest of his business keeps him busy.

maximus
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
He was pretty brief in his response outside of confirming it is very likely one of his own. I did email him back specifically asking about the "W" -- though my best guess is it could be for the "Walter" investment cast lugs he sells (will update if I hear back):

http://www.bringheli.com/castframe.html

"S35" in the upper right. The shape matches and it comes compatible with the oversized downtube on the frame. I know the pics very small - but if you ask me you can almost see a "W" in there. I dunno..maybe wishful thinking...

I just stripped the paint on the fork. It looks like the blue was a respray over an original electric purpleish color. The multiple coats really rounded out the shore lines on the lugs. Removing the paint reveals a clean brazing job - hopefully my refinish sharpens everything up a bit.

maximus
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
He just confirmed W is for "Walter".

There is a crazy story on bike forums about this frame once belonging to Laurent Fignon. Not sure how much I buy into it, but they do say the frame was Reynolds 531 (my bet is its likely a mix as Bringheli seems to deal with Italian steels). Interestingly enough though, I stripped the fork last night to reveal the Reynolds 531 engraving on the steering tube so at least some of the story lines up.

Whatever the frame is - pretty cool to know who built it. The rest of the mystery just makes the frame more fun.

TT Tandem
10-14-2012, 07:28 AM
I went to Joe's shop a few weeks ago. I brought a Serotta Colorado frame set that need cold setting. After he did that we ended up talking for over an hour. He not only makes frames but will do a week long frame building course, one on one with you!! This would be a great way to get a new frame!!!!!!!!!!

Jawn P
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I went to Joe's shop a few weeks ago. I brought a Serotta Colorado frame set that need cold setting. After he did that we ended up talking for over an hour. He not only makes frames but will do a week long frame building course, one on one with you!! This would be a great way to get a new frame!!!!!!!!!!

Very very reasonably priced too. Uncle Joe is awesome :)