PDA

View Full Version : Making the move to clinchers - any tips?

BdaGhisallo
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I am about to get my first set of clincher wheels in over 20 years and know nothing about the ins and outs of inner tubes, rimstrips or tire levers on the market today. My last experience with them was 18mm Michelin tires pumped up to 140psi. It wasn't pleasant.

Is there a particular rim that is the bees knees these days? I am thinking of something with a ceramic brake track to help with the rainy braking performance.

I am pretty sure I will go with Vittoria open cx tires since the tubular versions are excellent in my mind. What about tubes? Are latex tubes pretty durable these days? Any tips on rim strips? What about tire levers - any super designs these days to make tires go on easy?

If anyone has any special advice or favorite products I'd love to hear it. I'm not having any particular trouble with my tubs, but I want to simplify and two mins flat fixes beat the two day process of preparing a new tub. I just don't have the time to deal with tubs that I used to.

thanks,
Geoff

bike22
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
open pros are hands down fantastic.

sure there are lighter, more aero, more carbon, more whatever rims out there, but for all around riding/training, etc, open pros are hard to beat for the money/performance ratio.

they come in 28, 32, 36h varieties.

Louis
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
If you want to try pre-built, Shimano has a number of very good options. (Assuming you aren't using Campy.)

Otherwise, OP's are a great start.

Rim strips are a minor, minor detail. As far as I can tell, they all seem to work fine.

AngryScientist
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
where to start??

whats your weight, riding style, usual surface conditions, are you hard on wheels, want something super light, durable, what are you looking for out of a wheelset?? campy? shimano / scrammmm?

these are all important questions to ask and answer (and more!) before jumping in. every wheel will compromise some aspect to help excel in another.

your best bet is to talk with an experienced wheel builder and discuss the questions above and any others and have something built for you that will rock your world.

good luck in the quest!

fourflys
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I really like my DT Swiss built with 240 hubs and RR 1.1 rims...

BTW- the open cx are great tires, but I'm also a fan of the Diamante Pros and can attest to them being pretty durable and longer lasting... might be worth a look...

Give Joe Young a call and ask what he thinks...

BdaGhisallo
01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I should have said more.

I don't want anything fancy. Just a basic wheel to allow me to get out and do some riding. I am gentle on wheels and equipment in general. Don't need anything light. Robust and simple is where it's at for me now. I think my days of fawning over and indulging in chic & boutique gear are over.

1centaur
01-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Before echoing others I'll say I like Zipp rim strips for sufficient protection from spoke holes and low enough profile to make those hard to fit clincher/rim combos work. In other words, no more Velox tape or glorified cellophane tape solutions for me.

Handbuilt 240s and R1.1 wheels have been great for me (I've heard a little rumbling about ST 240 hub changes in the last few months - check with your builder on that). Shimano pre-built C24s are also great - genuine DA quality, smooth and quiet, if you don't like loud freewheels. I like Fulcrum Zeros and Campy Neutrons as well. Ksyrium not so much - a little stiff.

You picked the right tires.

Tubes - latex tubes lose air and puncture more readily and I don't notice them riding better. Michelin ultralight butyls for me because I like smooth valve stems and they hold air well, plus the 60mm stem versions fit a lot of wheel profiles so I can buy a stock of one size and know I'm carrying the right spare (very frustrating to have a 52 mm valve stem on a mid-section clincher and the pump won't QUITE hook up after you get a flat).

Pedros yellow plastic tire levers ended my search - strong enough to do the job (a little wider than cheap ones being part of that) and rounded/shaped enough not to damage tubes.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I am about to get my first set of clincher wheels in over 20 years and know nothing about the ins and outs of inner tubes, rimstrips or tire levers on the market today. My last experience with them was 18mm Michelin tires pumped up to 140psi. It wasn't pleasant.

Is there a particular rim that is the bees knees these days? I am thinking of something with a ceramic brake track to help with the rainy braking performance.

I am pretty sure I will go with Vittoria open cx tires since the tubular versions are excellent in my mind. What about tubes? Are latex tubes pretty durable these days? Any tips on rim strips? What about tire levers - any super designs these days to make tires go on easy?

If anyone has any special advice or favorite products I'd love to hear it. I'm not having any particular trouble with my tubs, but I want to simplify and two mins flat fixes beat the two day process of preparing a new tub. I just don't have the time to deal with tubs that I used to.

thanks,
Geoff

DT, Ambrosio, Velocity rims.

Any Butyl tube.

NO need to prep a tubie for 2 days.

Stretch a set of them, 30 minutes to glue on.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2011, 05:53 PM
open pros are hands down fantastic.

sure there are lighter, more aero, more carbon, more whatever rims out there, but for all around riding/training, etc, open pros are hard to beat for the money/performance ratio.

they come in 28, 32, 36h varieties.

DT 465 are the same price and far superior..no 36h tho, and 28h in white only.

Velocity and Ambrosio are also. OpenPros for this wheelbuilder is a distant....

4th.

TMB
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Ambrosio or Velocity rims.

even better advice:

Don't.

Fixed
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
box rim
imho
cheers

Peter P.
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Mavic Open Pros are THE standard for a lightweight racing style rim, although I heard of problems in the past eyelets doing something or other-someone else may be able to shed more light on this. I prefer the Velocity Aerohead O/C for the rear due to its offset spoke hole design, which builds up to a stronger, long lasting wheel.

I can appreciate your apprehension after your experiences with 18mm clinchers. I tried 19mm clinchers decades ago and kept getting pinch flats, even at 130lb. bodyweight and 100psi. 23mm tires are the standard now. I'll use just about anything with a folding bead. You really should experiment with 23mm tires and lower pressures; my opinion is most cyclists overinflate their tires, sacrificing comfort for rolling resistance and that harsh ride is due to too much air. If you need more than 100psi. to prevent pinch flats, I think you really need a larger tire. I run no more than 90 psi. in 23mm tires, even for racing. The grip is great; the tire doesn't chatter over rough pavement, and there's some shock absorption going on.

Inner tubes: latex are lighter than butyl and more resistant to pinch flats, but they leak air quickly, needed daily top-offs. Ultralight butyl tubes work fine for me and are less expensive.

Rim strips: I can't tell the difference between the plastic ones and Velox tape.

Tire levers: I have a Crank Bros. Speed Lever (http://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_speedlever.php) . It's a little flimsy and doesn't work quite as well as you might think, but it's marginally better than regular tire levers-maybe. I've had a VAR #425 tire lever (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/var/pages/var0051.html) for decades. Works like a champ on tough tires when held properly, though you'll likely have to find a bike shop savvy enough to order it for you. If you prefer something traditional (most of the current plastic tire levers are a little fat, making it difficult to get under the tire bead), then nothing beats Eldi tire levers (http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/tire-lever-eldi/) . Some people sand down the sharp edge nice and smooth so it doesn't damage tubes.

I've followed the development and introduction of tubeless clinchers. They're harder to pry on/off and the sealant can get messy should you ever need to install a tube. I don't think they're worth the aggravation for any perceived benefit; tubed tires are just fine.

Fixed
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I run no more than 90 psi. in 23mm tires, even for racing. The grip is great; the tire doesn't chatter over rough pavement, and there's some shock absorption going on.
wise words from peter P
cheers imho

oldpotatoe
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Peter P.]Mavic Open Pros are THE standard for a lightweight racing style rim, although I heard of problems in the past eyelets doing something or other-someone else may be able to shed more light on this.

Not in the past, in the present.

Not for any wheelbuilder that knows his stuff.

Far better choices, easy to find, not expensive.

As have been mentioned, DT, Ambrosio, Velocity.

cnighbor1
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Need rear spacing on yor bike
Your weigth
If touring, racing just riding
A lot of factors involved
I have need some new DA 7400 series wheels built up for sale
Try some the discount web sites Lots of bargins for sale
Charles

Ralph
01-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I just had a flat with the rim hole edge working thru a Continental rim strip. Never had a problem with the Ritchey strip on other wheels. Will replace with that. 17MM Ritchey cheap on E Bay, or LBS.

At this point, I'm not convinced that rim strip is rim strip. For years I used two layers of 1/2" Johnson bandage tape. That worked great....but made tires hard to get on, so went to thinner rim strips. Velox seems thick also.

130R
01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
corn starch helps.

texbike
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a set of Easton Circuits that I've been VERY happy with. Firm but not jarring and the rear hubs are totally silent.

If you're not going with custom hand-builts, these would be tough to beat for off the rack wheels. Bonktown has had them quite recently for $199.

Texbike

BumbleBeeDave
01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
. . . it might be a good idea to inquire here to see if anyone has had problems fitting your chosen tire to your chosen rim. They arte all supposed to be 700c, but some pairings just don't seem to get along. My buddy got Neuvation wheels and Conti tires and I swear to God those tires will NOT go on those rims without the intervention of a jackhammer . . .

BBD

DRietz
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
. . . it might be a good idea to inquire here to see if anyone has had problems fitting your chosen tire to your chosen rim. They arte all supposed to be 700c, but some pairings just don't seem to get along. My buddy got Neuvation wheels and Conti tires and I swear to God those tires will NOT go on those rims without the intervention of a jackhammer . . .

BBD

People always said that Continental/Mavic didn't work well either, but it's on a very case-to-case basis. I'm able to apply my Contis to my Mavic rims no problem, but not a certain set I have. It's ridiculous how much leeway there is in the production of this stuff.

bironi
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I agree with bbdave. Find a rim tire combo that works. If you ride in dry weather without worry of flats you will have good combo choices. I love changing tires without a tire lever. Open Pros with Vittoria EVO CX or Michelin Pro Race work great, but they are summer tires.

I've switched to heavier tires for winter, but ones that still have a good ride quality. They are a bit snugger on the rims, but not bad. They are also pretty cheap. They are Panaracer RBM.

BdaGhisallo
01-18-2011, 04:31 AM
At this point I am leaning toward the Open Pro Ceramic rims with Vittoria EVO CX or Pave CG tires. I gather that's a good combo from what has been said so far. The Zipp rim strips sound good to ease tire installation even further.

Thanks for all the advice guys. If anyone has any more sage advice, please don't hold back.

jblande
01-18-2011, 04:48 AM
in december i picked up a pair of velocity a23 rims laced to alchemy hubs. have only been out for 5 or 6 rides since then. my impression has been that they are a much nicer ride than the open pros i have had. from those that understand hubs better than i, i have been told that the alchemy hubs are the best choice. i switch between tubulars and clinchers on my bikes, and i think this is a very nice complement. still dont have that feeling of immediate contact with the road that tubulars provide, but are very good.

19wisconsin64
01-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Hi, The skill of the wheelbuilder is very important here! I'll suggest a hand-built wheelset.

If you don't want a harsh ride, you can go 32 holes, vs. 36.

I personally ride 32 holes laced to Mavic Open Pro (silver color) rims, with Michelin 25 mm 4000 tires. Very comfortable, very fast, great grip, stiff but not too stiff, sure-footed. I weight 180 pounds, and tend to very my riding between 17 and 25 miles an hour on the road.

I also had the same wheelbuilder laced up a 28 hole setup using Mavic Open Pro rims, laced to low-flange fixed campy c record hubs (track version). These where built using a three cross pattern (as my road wheels). Even tough these have fewer spokes, these where built up with a little more tension, and are very strong for sprinting and training for the track racing I do.

Good luck in your transfer to clinchers!!!! Cheers

sg8357
01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Mavic ain't what it used to be, they want to sell Sillyum Epic Elites, not rims.

Velocity is good stuff, the A23 or the Aerohead.
DuraAce hubs are as good as Campy ever made,
and have better flange spacing.

Bob Loblaw
01-18-2011, 08:38 AM
A hand built wheel is a beautiful thing, but there are some pretty good pre-made wheels out there. I agree with OP that Mavic rims are not what they once were, but Mavic factory built wheels are reasonably priced, lightweight and durable.

I am not a fan of latex tubes because they don't hold on to air pressure long enough for the riding I like to do, but others like them well enough.

Everyone has their favorite tire, but there are a lot of competent, lightweight choices out there. Personally, I've been riding Contis and Vittorias of various flavors since the 90's and I have no complaints.

I would recommend taking the tires off and remounting them a few times, just for practice.

Ride safe!

BL

Uncle Jam's Army
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
If durability is what you are after, I would not choose the Vittoria Corsa CX clincher tire. Although it has a great ride, it is not durable. I use Conti GP 4000S tires for high mileage (though the Gatorskins are even more durable).

fourflys
01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
If durability is what you are after, I would not choose the Vittoria Corsa CX clincher tire. Although it has a great ride, it is not durable. I use Conti GP 4000S tires for high mileage (though the Gatorskins are even more durable).

that's why I suggested the Diamante Pros as well... the TPI is very similar to the Corsa's, but they last a bit longer and I didn't any flats that wouldn't have flatted other tires... (maybe a little cheaper as well...)

but to each his own I guess...