PDA

View Full Version : Torque spec for clamp with Edge seatpost?

thenewguy11
01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I've tried searching for the proper torque spec for the seatpost clamp with an Edge carbon post but haven't been able to find it. Anyone know the proper spec while using Tacx paste?

Thanks.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I've tried searching for the proper torque spec for the seatpost clamp with an Edge carbon post but haven't been able to find it. Anyone know the proper spec while using Tacx paste?

Thanks.

Hard to go wrong with 5nm.

And with most frames with an external seatclamp, good idea to rotate the clamp 180 degrees so the slot of the clamp is opposite the slot in the frame..keeps the clamp rounder when you tighten it..unless the clamp is a carbon post specific on like Campagnolo's.

irideti
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Using Tacx paste, Campy clamp, Edge 31.6, torque'd to 4NM, no problem whatsoever.

thenewguy11
01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Appreciate the replies but I'm getting minor slippage with the clamp tightened to 5nm. Is this just something I have to live with or should I tighten it further?

Second issue with the Edge post. The saddle tends to tilt occasionally if I'm sitting towards the rear and hit a bump. It's not drastic but definitely noticeable. It's torqued to 8nm and I again used the Tacx paste. Is that where I went wrong? I'm used to a Thompson post which was set it and forget it.

Thanks.

rice rocket
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
All the mountain bikers I know use chalk. Just clean off all the grease before chalking it up or it'll probably get clumpy.

Peter B
01-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I have the Edge carbon masthead as an SV mast topper and if IIRC the torque is max 8nM for the post clamp and max 12nM for the carbon seat rail clamp. I stopped at ~6nM on the post and 8nM on the rails but I'm only 150lbs. YMMV.

nelson
01-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Assigning a torque value for a seatpost clamp is difficult, especially with carbon posts and frames, because it depends on the fit between the post and the frame. Carbon posts and seat tubes can be pretty far from perfectly round and can require more torque. They've gotten better the last couple of years, but they are still nowhere near as consistent as metal posts and frames. You should check with the frame manufacturer and see if they have a max torque spec for their clamp. They will frequently say it's safe to go further than what is spec'd if necessary. The spec assigned has to be enough to hold the post securely but not so much that you could damage the frame if it is a "tight" fit. Sometimes 2-3 Nm can be plenty, but sometimes 6-7 may be required, especially if using an aftermarket post that didn't come with the frame. Also be sure to lubricate the bolt IF the torque spec says to, which is typical. That can make a huge difference.

Joachim
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I did 8nM at the rails of my Edge seatpost with carbon paste (Fizik Aliante Carbon with Kium rails) and no slipping issues.

Joachim