PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Rides-Jan 15-16th, 2011

rdparadise
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Well, cabin fever got the better of me today. I was planning on taking a really short spin over to the health club when I went outside and experienced some reasonable weather. Mid 30's here in So. Jersey with only a small amount of wind.

So, I changed my duds, jumped on my bike and did a nice 20 mile ride through the farmlands and horse farms of the area. First miles of the new year and boy did I really need it. It's been two weeks since my last ride on NY's eve so the legs didn't have much go. After the initial excitement of getting out wore off, the middle 10 miles were a little bit of a chore, even though they were flat and wind was mild. Finished up strong and I can tell you I was glad to get out.

Snow all around, however, the roads were fine for road riding.

So what'd you guys/gals do this weekend?

Bob

kramnnim
01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I left at 8:10, when it was 25 degrees to get to the "group" ride starting point 12.5 miles away at 9. Only one other guy showed up... We dodged a few small patches of ice left over from the "crippling winter storm" that came through earlier this week and ended up riding around 50 miles. I headed home, faced with an annoying headwind, legs feeling dead...odometer read 77 miles by the time I got home. Nice sunny day, got up to 50 degrees for the first time in weeks.

Fixed
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I rode for 2 hours
took out my old merckx
fun day
a little exercise
and a smile
cheers imho

thwart
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Rollers.

At least it was sunny here...

Uncle Jam's Army
01-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Rode 3.5 hours of steep hills in Whittier and Hacienda Heights, California today with a few Cat 2 masters and realized I'm not in their league (yet).

oliver1850
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

jmeloy
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Yesterday I had packages to take to PO for forumites, so I hooked the trailer up to the Raleigh, as I was tired of riding the mtn. bike. Some snow and ice on the roads, and slipping of the rear wheel going up hill, but the 35c cross tires were about right for the conditions. Then rode to the next town for groceries and a few supplies. About 30 miles total, temp around 22. No wind but a very tiring ride for me anyway. Combination of low tire pressure, trailer, and never being able to relax due to the road conditions. Didn't feel that bad during the ride, but I felt lousy afterwards. Remnants of a head cold probably didn't help.
Dropped the tire pressure way down to get across a mile of snow packed road and then had several miles of good surface. hard work but better than nuthin'!

AngryScientist
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
rollers for me today too. weather in north jersey wasnt too too bad, but for the amount of time it would take me to gear up and get out, i felt it was better time spent in the basement on the rollers.

tribuddha
01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Rode 55 from Yountville into pope valley, ink Grade and bac :banana: k home via Silvarado trail.. beautiful sunny day, mustard blooming in the vineyards and no wind.. perfect day!!

zmudshark
01-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Two and a half hours in Paradise Valley, AZ. I wonder why I am not getting faster when I do this regularly:

http://ridewithgps.com/photos/snapshots/trip-histogram-159166.jpg

onekgguy
01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
50 miles on my TruTrainer rollers yesterday followed by 75 minutes on the treadmill (walking at a good pace with incline) and 60 minutes on the elliptical. 4 water-bottles of Accelerade and I probably should've had more. I was spent by the time I was done.

I'd love to be riding outdoors but as long as I have to put my bike in the back of my truck to get it out of our snow-covered neighborhood streets I'll remain indoors.

Kevin g

KeithS
01-15-2011, 09:47 PM
There were brass monkey warnings today. Did get some skiing in with my son. The north shore of Lake Superior is a special place, summer or winter. Great way to spend a day. No such things as bad weather just inappropriate preperation.

onekgguy
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM
There were brass monkey warnings today. Did get some skiing in with my son. The north shore of Lake Superior is a special place, summer or winter. Great way to spend a day. No such things as bad weather just inappropriate preperation.

I'm way overdue for the north shore...I love it there but i can do without Sven and Ole's.

Kevin g

rdparadise
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Keith, nice picture of your son and Lake Superior skiing. Good for you buddy!

Riding Ink Grade in January, only a Californiaite could do that my friend. Nice!

Oh, and 70 plus miles in January, NOT! :)

Bob

dd74
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Weather is no problem in SoCal. I just wish it would stay lighter later in the afternoon.

Steve in SLO
01-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Beautiful day in San Luis Obispo, 55 degrees at 8 AM, no wind. Rode 40 miles at 19mph avg in a group ride with onlt 2 of the of 12 of us busting the wind, Fun to ride with so many people. The roads were full of cyclists on this 3 day w/e. Fun!

rdparadise
01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Got out for another 28 today. Considerably colder today due to the windchill and dryer air. Was hurtin at the end so we stopped for some coffee and hot chocolate at the local Dunkin Donuts.

Not bad, 48 miles for a weekend in early January.

Take care guys!

Bob